Iced earth

• Schaeffers tone is quite unique, and of course uses amps (Larry amps) that are not at all readily available to the public, and are very unique sounding. Most of schaffers tone comes from his right hand, make no mistake. If I was going for something similar to that tone ( depending on the era) I'd go for something with an extremely fast attack similar to a boogie mark series or something modded Marshall in vein. I've seen Schaffer use multiple setups live over the years, the best I ever heard him sound was with an uberschall and a DSL 100 in stereo personally, however neither of those amps are what I would suggest for that type of tone if I was doing a cover of IE.

• Without having a Larry amp available, your best bet is a Plexi or JCM profile running into a 1960 cab with (IMO) Celestion 75s or 65s; they have a pretty percussive, scooped sound compared to something like a V30. If you think about it, Schaffer's tone isn't too far from what Metallica had on Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets. Funny enough, those albums used Plexis (well, MOP was a IIC into a Plexi's power section) and 1960 cabs.