KPA backups are Unix tar files

• Dear all,

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but it might be interesting here: the backup files seem to be Unix-tar-files (tarballs). This means, you can get at the contents via a tar-program without resorting to tools like Total Commander.

E.g. tar -t xxx.kpabackup shows the list of all files in the xxx.kpabackup file.

Note that, of course, I do not encourage any tampering with the backup files, but at least on a level where files are inserted or removed into the tarball, this should be fine.

Best regards
    DrTT

• I would discourage anybody from messing around with those files. All these user error driven crashes are keeping people at Kemper from sorting out the important stuffs and get out of the Beta status of the actual FW. I would kindly and friendly suggest all people to play with the guitar, not with the computer. Just my 2 cents...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• useful to know, thanks.

• I would discourage anybody from messing around with those files. All these user error driven crashes are keeping people at Kemper from sorting out the important stuffs and get out of the Beta status of the actual FW.

:!: Very true! Don't mess around with editing these files outside of the KPA at this stage of firmware yet! :!:

• Dear all,

thanks for all the helpful advice, but in my opinion I've been quite clear on that topic:

Note that, of course, I do not encourage any tampering with the backup files

So anyone using the technical information I have given is (of course!) on his own!
    On the other hand the Kemper people have not given so far any information about

• the structure of the backup file (as mentioned a Unix tarball) and
    • the structure of the KIPR files (a standard MIDI file with a single track and a lot of sysex stuff)

If the Kempers were mainly interested in having their platform closed they could have used either a proprietary file system on the stick or at least encode the files.
    I am quite aware that Kemper has to put their emphasis now on making the firmware related to the central function of the KPA more robust before they invest into checking the consistency of files presumably in their hands.
    But at least mid-term it is also necessary to have some kind of external rig management software. Most of the devices I have bought in the past have come with a very precise definition of their patch management (typically via MIDI SYSEX). Commendable examples are the BOSS devices and those have open-source librarians (like the FX Floorboard) programmed against the MIDI interface definition.
    When we as a community want to help Kemper in writing a public domain KPA library manager, this requires either input from Kemper or reengineering research by the community.

Best regards
    DrTT

• Why wasting time playing guitar when you can tweak sounds or play with some files ;)

btw. the ones buying a KPA (only) to play - will never come to a place like this ;)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• the backup files seem to be Unix-tar-files (tarballs).
    E.g. tar -t xxx.kpabackup shows the list of all files in the xxx.kpabackup file.

There isn't such a thing on earth as what you described being a "Unix-tar file" !! Besides if you really want know it Tar archives can be opened with any OS you want :P ! I really appreciate your good intentions but read quite few posts about not to mess with the internal files. This revolutionary unit is also based on the idea of sharing a profile . Hypotetically if you compromise your unit by putting your undisputed Unix skills at work the other users who have got your corrupted profiles will be screwed as well! That's why I think it's worthy to play safe and make good use of what Kemper have already provided us (the best thing I've ever plugged electric guitar to in the last 20 years )

• Dear Manuel,

thanks for the clarification!
    You wrote:

Quote from manuelcicca

There isn't such a thing on earth as what you described being a "Unix-tar file" !!

So maybe I was imprecise here: The tar-format was introduced as an archive format by Unix and later standardized by POSIX.1-1988 and POSIX.1-2001.

Quote from manuelcicca

Besides if you really want know it Tar archives can be opened with any OS you want :P !

Yes, I do that myself because I'm using Windows. But I guess that no OS knows from scratch that *.kpabackup files are tar files, does yours?

Quote from manuelcicca

I really appreciate your good intentions but ...

Thanks! As mentioned several times I do not encourage to use that technical information lightheartedly.
    But I think you agree that the labelling of the amps, cabinets and effects presets is improvable. E.g. do you know (without deliberation) what kind of stomp preset BPTOUCH.kipr is? The management of those presets is currently very tedious: if I want to rename one of them to some meaningful name, I have to load it into a rig, store it from there and type the new name by dialling. Then the old preset has to be deleted.
    Or is there better way to rename a preset?
    Best regards
    DrTT

• So maybe I was imprecise here: The tar-format was introduced as an archive format by Unix and later standardized by POSIX.1-1988 and POSIX.1-2001.

Yes, I do that myself because I'm using Windows. But I guess that no OS knows from scratch that *.kpabackup files are tar files, does yours? DrTT

Yes mine does. An experienced Unix user like you should know how that can be done under Windows. Frankly I suggest you to go and look on some other forum if you wish to discuss this further.Here we are Guitar Players with a passion for music and the KPA .Who cares about POSIX.1-1988 and POSIX.1-2001 after all ?

• Hello Manuel,

you wrote:

Quote from manuelcicca

Yes mine does. An experienced Unix user like you should know how that can be done under Windows. ... Who cares about POSIX.1-1988 and POSIX.1-2001 after all?

I think there is some misunderstanding here: first you told the forum that "there isn't such a thing on earth as what you described being a 'Unix-tar file'" when tar-files are obviously and firstly defined by Unix standards.
    Then you tell me that this all "can be done under Windows" easily. Of course it can: you either need a file manager able to deduce the file type for kpabackups (e.g. from the magic number in the file) or you have to tell Windows explicitly (!) that kpabackups are tar-files. Nevertheless I assume that not everyone in the forum had this information before and most of colleagues will be using just plain Windows. I assume you use Unix or some intelligent file manager, so this might not apply to you.

Quote from manuelcicca

Frankly I suggest you to go and look on some other forum if you wish to discuss this further.Here we are Guitar Players with a passion for music and the KPA.

Honestly I find that a patronizing remark when it was you that started the nit-picking discussion. It should also be quite clear that I own a KPA and I am a guitar player myself.
    Someone else might find my initial information in the thread useful. Sorry when I have bothered you with trivia.

Best regards
    DrTT

Edited once, last by DrTT ().

• Man you're getting so angry about it!

I only thought you went a bit outside the main topic of this 'tips and tricks' section .I don't have any intention either to patronize anybody (you included) or to mislead the people of this forum about the history of TAR files. Manipulating the file system of the KPA in an non-tested way can be dangerous and I won't consider it as a topic for the 'tips and tricks' section. That's only my opinion. Nothing personal.

If there is anything I said that offended you please do accept my apologies and also keep in mind that I never ment to do so.Sorry again!

• Hello Manuel,

apology accepted! You are absolutely correct that tampering with the backups is critical.

Now let's move on playing the guitar on the KPA
    ;)
    Best regards

DrTT

• Yes, this is a great information.

On the MAC you can simply rename the file extension to .tar and double click it.
    Then you get a new folder containing all this in separate subfolders:
    Ampifier
    Cabinet
    Delay
    Effects
    (Globals.kipr = simple file)
    Input
    Reverb
    Rigs
    Snapshots
    Stack
    Stomp
    Tonestack
    Trash

By this it's very easy to make backups of single blocks e.g the input setting.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de