NAMM 2017

• I wonder if UA is going to replace the Apollo Twin. Sweetwater is dropping it $180 on a "clearance" sale. That's scary. To Twin owners.
    Also, they announced some legacy plugins are going to be obsolete.

So it makes me wonder what is new for NAMM from UA if they are ridding plugins and clearing out hardware inventory?

Anyways, anybody know what's coming up this year they know will be announced or hoping to be at NAMM?

• I think it's the plug-in pricing people dislike They also treat their PC users pretty poorly. I love my Apollo Firewire, but I hate the $300 price tag they put on single effects, and new effects sometimes have ridiculous processing overhead. However, I really have everything I need plug-in wise, so I don't need to bite every time they release a new compressor that sounds 1% different than the ones I already own. I'm only a home recordist these days, so I can keep running it without upgrades until it breaks. It already sounds amazing and does everything I need, so no FOMO here.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• PROS:
    - high quality plugins
    - sturdy DSP reported quality hardware (I had issues with both my LA610's and Satellite connectivity port)
    - rare offerings in plugins emulating famous hardware
    - plugin/hardware equity - ability for resale
    - Mac and PC ability now

CONS:
    - updates to same plugins make old ones "legacy" (now being discontinued)
    - very expensive (Apple expensive)
    - hardware dependent (can't run plugins w/o large clunky hardware)
    - for laptops, hardware dependency means it needs to be near an outlet to run hardware (high power requirement not able to be run on Thunderbolt or USB3 bus)
    - equity from trading server UAD1 eliminated. Pattern is disturbing for future UAD2 equity
    - Apollo Twin runs very hot, hotter than any audio interface I've had before.
    - some newer plugins seem to cover very similar ground to existing plugins
    - DSP requirements take up ridiculously high amount of hardware DSP space (means fewer iterations compared to other manufacturer plugins)
    - external DSP model is quite outdated with modern PC/CPU power/speed.
    - Mac bias

I truly love my Apollo Twin. And there are plugins I find most useful (Neve 1073, Lexington 224) But I truly hate to lug the hardware satellite (requiring an outlet nearby) to use my laptop for project mixing. Also, the Firewire connection is touchy, meaning it HAS to be set on a table. No working in your lap or else the connection dies.

I get the impression of intentionally planned obsolescence in a greedy way. The Apollo cost me $900, the Satellite $700 to run the laptop, the plugins I've purchase have easily been about $2000. That would have bought me all of Wave's plugins that would run off my computer w/o any hardware dongle, and many other major plugin companies entire bundles running on an iLok. (assuming sales, as I've bought UA on sales and those are sales $$ listed)

But, oh, that 1073 and 224. Sorry, but Slate's just doesn't do it for me. (I have the VMS but I put it the UA 1073 instead)

I would like to go the way Ingolf has if I could live w/o those plugins. They are my mainstay for vocals.

• And here is fresh review

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• A good BOSS companion for the kemper?

• Isolated dual expression outputs for controlling two devices with one pedal
    • Independent pedal range adjustment for each output
    • Works with ¼-inch TRS expression inputs on stompbox pedals, multi-effects, keyboards, MIDI controllers, and more
    • Polarity switch

:rolleyes:

BOSS EV-30

• Looks like the street price of the Apollo Twin's street price for the MKII Duo is the same as the original price for the MKI Duo, $899.

• Another video of Twin MkII

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio is much more appealing than the UA stuff.
    https://youtu.be/JcCjfEjNZdY

I always wondered what happened to Ted from "Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure"!

• The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio is much more appealing than the UA stuff.
    https://youtu.be/JcCjfEjNZdY

I'm sorry. I couldn't watch that video I switched it off after 4 minutes. All that cheering whenever he mentions a Slate product!. It's so false The audience are obviously paid or have some connection with the company and have been told they have to cheer.

Slate himself looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

P.

Edited once, last by P3t3rB ().

• I'm sorry. I couldn't watch that video I switched it off after 4 minutes. All that false cheering whenever he mentions a Slate product!. It's so false The audience are obviously paid or have some connection with the company and have been told they have to cheer.
    Slate himself looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

P.

I was waiting for him to introduce some kind of exercise product, like an Ab-master 3000.

Edit: I just finished watching that whole video and was amazed by how dishonest it was put together. They did "the same song" twice with different mic models. Steven Slate says "the vibe and the character is completely changed, and yet we didn't change anything in the recording, other than the virtual microphones being used". Well, that, plus the fact the one version was a jazz arrangement with clean guitar and the other version was a rock version with distorted guitar where the drummer bears down harder. Also, when/how are the audience members listening to the subtle differences that they are clapping for? Is it through the JBL PA speaker across the ambient room?

This is looking more and more like a late night diet/exercise infomercial with before/after pictures with the gut being pushed out with bad posture, then sucked in with good posture and muscle flexing. I own a few of his products and they are decent, but I've lost a lot of respect for him after this.

Edited once, last by Klappy ().

• So, no huge surprises at the actual show...but so what. Kemper has been spoiling us owners/users since it's introduction with continuous FREE innovations, upgrades and expanded capabilities.

Now, at least unofficially, it looks like we can look forward to a USB-based software Editor, in the relatively near future. Plus, we can expect upgraded Reverbs.

Seriously, folks...I would have been COMPLETELY HAPPY and SATIATED at OS 3.1, with the incredible advancement of the Merged profiling algorithm/process, followed up shortly by the PureCab implementation.

I just wish all companies would respect, value, and take care of their customers like Kemper GmbH.

Just my 2 cents, anyway.

Cheers, all.

John

• I totally agree John. These updates we are receiving are free, with the ONE TIME purchase of the original product as in such...
    Just my opinion||| We don't need a "new and improved Kemper" coming out ever 01/20XX NAMM show!!!
    A product that stands "stark", proud at version 1...