NAMM 2017

• The only video I have found from NAMM 2017 from Kemper booth is presentation of pitch delays:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And the message from CEO to Japanese clients:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I just wish all companies would respect, value, and take care of their customers like Kemper GmbH.

Agree!

As someone riding the "hamster wheel of obsolescence" with other vendors (ahem, AVID, UAD, Apple, etc...) I really appreciate that Kemper is committed to improving what we already have, as opposed to selling us something new every year. Sure they could add newer SHARC chips or charge for feature packs like delays and reverbs, but they seem content to improve code, add features and make our investment pay off.

I am actually really happy that it is quiet at NAMM and that the marketroids have not (yet) taken over the engineering focused team at Kemper. Maybe it's a german thing - the only other company I can think of that is close would be RME. I had 12 year old stuff running in my studio that would get driver updates and features added every few months. I am a Kemper customer for life as long as they continue to innovate, treat customers right and, heaven forbid, don't get acquired by some coin operated conglomerate.

• The only video I have found from NAMM 2017 from Kemper booth is presentation of pitch delays:

The tuning is a disgrace and is such a distraction I imagine it'd interfere with potential customers' assessments of the sound quality of the delay and pitch effects. What a pity!

• For most plain guitarists this delays are unplayable in band sessions.. Kemper should show the basics! nice clean rigs with strat, Humbuckertones and the metal sounds for all Metaljunkies out there! this demo is not in interest for most guitraplayers.. as i see the Kemper and how i like the Kemper is all the other things than effects! Show them what the kemper can do, and what is uniqe!!

• For most plain guitarists this delays are unplayable in band sessions.

Principle I can agree with you.
    But also with no use of the new delays the Kemper is still one of the best gears I ever had ;)
    It's funny to play with it at home and till now I found 5 delays which I will use at the moment with a little tweaking. (Main station, Foundation, Slapback, Warm and Shadowy)
    5 useable delays for free - for me it is not so bad :)
    And good news (editor and new reverbs) makes me also happy :rolleyes: .

The presentation itself would not convinced me. It reminds to the representation of morphing last year which I found boring too.

Edited once, last by Sharry: sentences attached. ().

• For most plain guitarists this delays are unplayable in band sessions.. Kemper should show the basics! nice clean rigs with strat, Humbuckertones and the metal sounds for all Metaljunkies out there! this demo is not in interest for most guitraplayers.. as i see the Kemper and how i like the Kemper is all the other things than effects! Show them what the kemper can do, and what is uniqe!!

Hey, don't blame them. Start getting creative!!! 8o8):evil: I love those delays and have immediately started using them!!! :thumbup:

• Agree!
    As someone riding the "hamster wheel of obsolescence" with other vendors (ahem, AVID, UAD, Apple, etc...) I really appreciate that Kemper is committed to improving what we already have, as opposed to selling us something new every year. Sure they could add newer SHARC chips or charge for feature packs like delays and reverbs, but they seem content to improve code, add features and make our investment pay off.

I am actually really happy that it is quiet at NAMM and that the marketroids have not (yet) taken over the engineering focused team at Kemper. Maybe it's a german thing - the only other company I can think of that is close would be RME. I had 12 year old stuff running in my studio that would get driver updates and features added every few months. I am a Kemper customer for life as long as they continue to innovate, treat customers right and, heaven forbid, don't get acquired by some coin operated conglomerate.

From the companies stand point, they aren't necessarily doing this work for those of us who already have a Kemper, that is just a nice side affect.

Adding the new features keeps them competitive with other products in this price range.

Kemper started out the gate with the best pure tube amp guitar sound money could buy ..... without actually lugging around the real thing. IMO, that is still their bread and butter.

Improvements to the efx sections, gee-wiz features like morphing and the expansive delay library (along with the coming PC based editor) mostly help with the comparison chart marketing material.

For me, the features of the Kemper for live use are:

• Tube amp tone without the weight
    • Very comprehensive and usable floor controller in performance mode
    • Very good efx and stomps

The new verbs are the bee's knees for me. Looking forward to a great verb engine upgrade. The verbs we currently have are still quite good, but fall somewhat short of what an H9 can produce .... and of course every guitar should see the love of a lush spring verb ;)

• Hey, don't blame them. Start getting creative!!! 8o8):evil: I love those delays and have immediately started using them!!! :thumbup:

I am not blaming anyone, but for those who dont know what a kemper is, this video says nothing! Its nothing to do with yours or mine creativity! If I play souch type of music who needs this sort of delay, I can create it! Or I can create it on my TC gear..
    if they want to catch guitarists passing by they should try to show what the Kemper is all about! That its what make it outstanding and a very fun amp! :)

• I am not blaming anyone, but for those who dont know what a kemper is, this video says nothing! Its nothing to do with yours or mine creativity! If I play souch type of music who needs this sort of delay, I can create it! Or I can create it on my TC gear..if they want to catch guitarists passing by they should try to show what the Kemper is all about! That its what make it outstanding and a very fun amp! :)

Yeah, right, blaming was not the word i should have used. And I guess you're right, this kemper thing might eventually become a great success story once they start marketing it correctly. 8)

• KPA Delays:
    First off, use the tuner, please! haha
    Second, not a bad demo. You want to hear delays on slower stuff to hear what delays are actually doing in a noisy NAMM environment.
    Save the Metal and VHL for internet demos.
    Compare/contrast this to Eventide demo's where 9/10 tones are space alien shit.
    I have no idea why Eventide would make such nice delays only to demo freak show FX. When you turn their Wet meter to 20-30% you actually start to hear greatness but they remain convinced that demos should be 80-100% wet.

KPA Reverb, Editor:
    I haven't kept up with announcement. Been waiting for the Reverbs. Didn't have any idea they would actually create an Editor.
    I doubt I'd use an editor more than once to setup. And I'd only be impressed with an editor if it had graphical drop-n-drag for effects.
    But others really want one so I hope they get what they were looking for. Me? REVERBS! Can't wait!

Slate:
    The VSR8 has ZERO digital IN/OUT. So no Kemper can hook up to it. Dinosaur, DOA, non-starter for this forum as an audio interface, period.
    Low latency is a great idea, but the video shows non-running plugins in 96kHz (that's suspicious right there since many hobbyists record at 44.1 and 48) and is designed to omit any outside gear. Great in-the-box for a newbie buying the system. But for folks and their legacy systems, it's a no-go.
    I will be getting the ML2 and probably swapping out the ML1 on the VMS One, since i don't need 2 mics at the same time. But ideally, a VMS Two would be better. If it's an Audio Interface it better have MIDI and Digital or else it's a compromise. Slate said "No Compromises", right? It's an I/O. Provide some F$#@ing I/O then that people actually use.
    IF he does what he says and posts his settings where his FG73 actually sounds like the UA Neve 1073, and I think it's close enough for the money, I'll drop UA, end my suspicion that Slate plugins aren't emulations but dynamic EQ patterns, and tout his praises all over the forums. I like Slate stuff, but I have a sneaky suspicion about them. The VSR8 is trying to become "only slate" and that's as bad as UA if they don't allow ADAT. He said he will look into it. If he doesn't then it's cool.

UAD:
    The MKII is a laughable POS "upgrade". You want to upgrade the MKI? How about adding MIDI you idiots. Or a fan to keep the unit from getting as hot as my stove (or 2009 MBP)
    The old UA made timeless gear. The new one makes planned obsolescent gear. When did the Apollo Twin come out, 2 years ago and they already got a MKII? They did this with the LA610, barely a few years and MKII. After 3 separate iterations of MKI. Not like Dad's day at all.

The AD/DA and Pres of the MKI isn't impressive to begin with compared to Audient IMO and I don't see where the MKII comes up much more.
    But interfaces these days don't really sound bad at all, so I'd rather they spend time on making sure they implement a robust set of I/O.

The MKII is offering a Quad of DSP. But considering you can literally run that same emulations of an Eventide 910 or Brainworx Natively on a modern MBP that would easily eat up 2 OCTO's, the Quad is laughably underpowered. I have a Twin and Satellite (hence quad) and I run up against the wall with a moderate use of plugins on a project of 20 tracks requiring an OCTO just to run medium projects.
    But it would require $3-6k of UA hardware on top of a $3k computer to equal a $3k computer running native Slate, Wave, Toontrack, Spectrasonic for a professional need (ie 50-100 tracks). Then add the cost of software which even on sale would equal all that other software combined. They do have some quality plugins/emulations, no doubting that. But writing solely for DSP is getting to be a problem. Put in a more common-sense way, when you need 8 or 16 chips to get your work done, the technology choice sucks. How many Sharcs does the Kemper use? And 8 DSP chips is necessary to run a moderate project in-the-box for UAD plugins without freezing, bouncing/rendering, or baking FX? Boo. Either poor hardware choice or bloatware coding. At LEAST some of their plugins are top notch, which is what sustains them. But when others match the quality, they (and you with the gear) will be a house of useless cards. This all from a LOVER of UA plugins, having owned them for the better part of 15 years.

• The Slate emulations are very cool IMHO, db. Fabrice knows what he's doing.

As for the interface, I assumed the second I saw it that it'd be only the first in a long line of models (config options). As I said earlier, I strongly suspect he's trying to do a MOTU and capture some of that every-configuration-you-can-think-of, networkable, Thunderbolt market... but at a much-higher price. Sneaky bugger.

Agreed on the UA DSP. IMHO, the idea of proprietary DSP where the plugins are tied to it is obsolete now. You'd have thought that at the very least, any attempt to prolong the life of this market would've involved offering a decent amount of outboard DSP, but no, not UA. Huge mistake IMHO.

Thanks for the update man.

• REVERBS! Can't wait!

I've been scouring the forum and can't find anything definitive about this. I've sort of assumed that reverbs & overdrives would get overhauled like the delays, but afaik that's only happening inside my head. Did anyone from Kemper actually say new reverbs were in development?

PS
    Very excited about the Editor. Configuring effects has become quite a chore.

• Yes. CK at last year's NAMM. They WILL come - he was working on them personally.

Is that really confirmed? Because from reading the reports of this years NAMM, it did not seem to me that this is any longer on the radar.
    I certainly hope the lads will update the reverbs, as I'm a reverb junkie!

• Well, that definitely seems to be confirmation...but without any sort of timetable commitment. Could be months, could be year or more.

Consider this - if Kemper is still improving the KPA a year from now, with MAJOR improvements, what an amazing investment it's been!

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Consider this - if Kemper is still improving the KPA a year from now, with MAJOR improvements, what an amazing investment it's been!

Ain't that the truth. I was blown away back when they introduced the Direct/Merged profiling upgrade back in the OS 3.1 days. EVERYTHING since, at least for me, has been icing on the cake.