Passive Stereo Cabs -How do I do it?

• Last week I bought a Kemper Powered Head. I'm in love.

I have two great sounding passive 1x12 cabs (Celestion V30s@16ohms ea) that I'd like to hookup stereo.

What is the proper configuration?

• I had 2 Matrix NL12 speakers before (16 ohms each), and bought this speaker splitter cable to run them both at once. Worked like a charm. Remember that you're running 2 cabs in series, so two 16 ohm cabs together = 8ohms to the Kemper, which is fine.

It won't be true stereo, but it will allow you to run 2 cabs at once.

https://reverb.com/item/144611…-speaker-cable-by-horizon

• Yes, so is there any other way to power two guitar cabs in stereo with the Cab Sims off?

My post above is the only way you can power 2 cabs, but the Kemper power amp is mono.

If you want true stereo, you'd have to get 2 powered speakers and use the main outputs or use an external power amp.

• Okay hooking up those specific speakers is covered.
    What about other speakers? EASY this way.

I run a toaster with one active stereo gemini 2 FRFR
    its a stereo cable that goes into main outs into the FRFR
    2X12 Stereo speaker =KILLER SOUND AT HOME.

YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH A PASSIVE GEMINI 2P
    FOR A POWERHEAD. Just use below

Gemini 2-P is a 500W full range stereo passive speaker cabinet for use with tube and solid state power amplifiers, modeling guitar amplifiers, and Digital Audio Work stations

So with a Gemini 2p
    https://missionengineering.com…/speakers/?v=6cc98ba2045f
    it would be plug and play :)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• The powered Kemper is mono, so you can only split the mono signal.

If you want true stereo, you must supply your own power using the main outputs at this juncture.

• The main outputs (left and right) are not powered. Thus, passive speakers like the Gemini would require a power amp, correct?

• The main outputs (left and right) are not powered. Thus, passive speakers like the Gemini would require a power amp, correct?

Correct.

• Thanks for answering that, also Gemini make a special cab for the powerhead.
    Its just easy to plug in a 2X12 Stereo cab, its such a big difference with Stereo IMO (especially with the new delays)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• also Gemini make a special cab for the powerhead.

Which cabinet is that?

https://missionengineering.com…s/km-212p/?v=7516fd43adaa

It's a traditional cab speaker with an extended frequency response. Haven't tried it (really want to), but I had something in a similar vein with the Matrix NL12 and I regret selling them. Currently have a Mission Gemini 1-P, which I love, but the cabs just had something punchier about them and sounded damn-near full-range. Not to mention they weighed nothing.

Kemper has actually talked with Mission about the KM-212P as an OEM I've been told. Whether or not it happens, Kemper seems to think of it highly.

Edited once, last by MementoMori ().

• I really enjoyed reading that , Well i have been crapping on for months about how good my Gemini 2 FRFR is
    its not heavy its a massive 2X12 sound FING Stereo (killer for the effects)

Now all as i have to do is get a second Gemini 2 and it automatically senses the second salve
    and reverts to a 4X12 stereo sound. Guys to me a 4X12 is THE bench mark, we spend all this money on good profiles and a kemper

WHAT ABOUT THE SPEAKER......

Yeah i am looking at ALL of you, its like the guy that came up to me and said Ash i just spent 10 grand on a High end Gibson...
    I said great , is that why you have no money TO BUY A DECENT FING GUITAR CABLE?? (he had a shitty guitar cable)

MY point being how many of you are prepared to spend good money a good speaker..????
    BECAUSE ITS BLISS AND THE KEMPER COMES ALIVE WHEN YOU DO.

The Gemini does it.

Ash

• I have no doubt the Gemini 2 sounds great. What I particularly liked about the Gemini's is that it's an FRFR with a coaxial design, so it disperses more evenly. Usually FRFR have the tweeter and woofer separated, which isn't a big deal at a distance but certainly matters up close.

What I don't like about the Gemini's is that they're heavy. While it may sound amazing, the Gemini 2 is over 60 pounds, which I really have no desire to carry around. The Atomic CLR's are the same way.

I actually got my Gemini directly through Mission Engineering and talked with the guys over there about a number of things before making my purchase. I asked if they planned on making a lighter FRFR cab and even an FRFR cab with a slant like the KM-212P so that the speaker isn't just aiming at the back of your knees. Those are all things on their list, but it's also a busy time of year so something like that is unlikely to make it out anytime soon. In this picture you can see a slanted cab on the left, Gemini 2 in the center, and KM-212P on the right. If Mission can come out with a Gemini 2 at a fraction of the weight, it would be a no brainer for me.

I imagine 1 and even 2 Gemini 2's would sound absolutely killer, but I'd only have a use for that if I planned on never moving them. For gigging I'd either go with Matrix's stuff due to it weighing nothing or a Yamaha DXR10 based on the near-universal praise it gets.

• https://missionengineering.com…s/km-212p/?v=7516fd43adaa

It's a traditional cab speaker with an extended frequency response. Haven't tried it (really want to), but I had something in a similar vein with the Matrix NL12 and I regret selling them. Currently have a Mission Gemini 1-P, which I love, but the cabs just had something punchier about them and sounded damn-near full-range. Not to mention they weighed nothing.

Kemper has actually talked with Mission about the KM-212P as an OEM I've been told. Whether or not it happens, Kemper seems to think of it highly.

Nice looking cab, but its mono. Would need to buy two of them and run through an external Power Amp. I only need 2 12" speakers for drivers, as I'm never in a live situation where I need 4 drivers.

• The gemini 2 wil do it with one cab.
    The only reason i am plugging it is because i want you guys to spend on a good speaker.
    Here is what i have (its an active, so should go okay on your main outs?)

This is my STEREO FRFR 2 X12
    one cable => STEREO
    And it kicks my ASS

Ash

• OP has cabs that it sounds like he wants to use without the cab sims on the Kemper. I've got a Gemini 1-P that I'm content with for the moment, but would consider a Gemini 2 if they reduced the weight dramatically.

• you could also use 1 of your cabs through the power output of the KPA and get an active cab (or another amp to link to your 2nd cab)
    then it's all about output management i.e. master left to monitor out --> power out to cab + master right to the master right output --> active cab (or amp + cab)

that way you give yourself more possible configurations, and an active monitor / another amp can be used for other applications

however I'd like to say that IMO there is no much interest in having stereo for your monitoring, better use FOH and adjust the amount of monitoring you'd like to have from there. maybe if you want to enjoy stereo at home without monitoring but you'd have to tweak your profiles again if you go live

cheers

• Lots of guitarists have stereo cabs, or run a stereo setup. Especially bands with only one guitarist.

The way I'm used to playing, we run our own stage volume through our amps alone. If I'm lucky we get a monitor mix to the drummer and singer. Those mixes sound like garbage.

So for me, all it means is that I need to get a power amp for my Kemper PowerHead -- I already have several guitar cabs to use. Right now I'm liking the sound of two separate 1x12 cabs for home use. In the future I'll likely run 2 4x12 Mesa cabs