This can't be... what am I doing wrong?

• I don't think they take much personal information, especially not as much as would be compromising, and why would giving out the serial number be problematic? It's the only way they can verify a warranty claim, if indeed it's a new unit or falls under the 3 year warranty. The serial can also be transferred to a new person because the warranty extends to the unit, not the owner, so wouldn't be a problem whether it was yours first and then transferred or was someone else's first then transferred to you.
    I say contact support, it's gotten to that point. Anything else seems like time-consuming minutiae that will ultimately frustrate you. Add on top of that the possibility that support will ask you for the same things you posted here, making you feel like you're doubling your work could be of further frustration.

You paid a lot of money for your Kemper. Let them help.

Hope it works for you, dude.

Well said.

• Did you do this as I suggested earlier?

In all seriousness though - I'm not sure if you got this brand new or not - but how about we start with a factory reset (or at least a global reset) and applying the latest firmware to get a baseline? If you change anything from that point in the system tell us exactly what it was - then proceed.

I read you did the reset but - what firmware version are you on?

• but they are ridiculously hotter than Seymour Duncan invader pickups if the DI is correct!!

For me not "hotter" compared to EMG81 not even hot just very loud but still without clipping. And again its not DI problem but i think cab part problem. cab settings - high shift - maybe this?

Stay Metal!

• Darn. Time to call in the big boys (ie. contact support). Especially since you're on a time table - don't delay.

For me, the last resort has always been a firmware reset, if that's what it's called. The factory reset only reverts a bunch of parameter values to default settings.

As has been suggested, I'd install a fresh copy of the OS at the very least, and if that failed, resort to the FW reset.

• Yes, something is very wrong, definitely contact support. I also get the same result as sinmix and the others when reamping, the difference is so great that i wouldn't have even guessed it was the same profile.

• what the hell do I have to do with anything in this post???

• Guys, first of all, a huge thanks for hanging in with me trying to help figure this out.

Yes, I have referenced on a variety of speakers, monitors and headphones at various volumes. All that does is alter the quality and volume of suckage. :P

The suggestion for me to reamp might be a good one? That way I can see if I achieve the same result as my original track, or instead what you guys are getting. Wouldn't that be the final proof that something is wrong with my KPA rather than some flaw in the testing approach?

Can one of you guys who did the reamp give me a step-by-step to duplicate?

• For me, the last resort has always been a firmware reset, if that's what it's called. The factory reset only reverts a bunch of parameter values to default settings.
    As has been suggested, I'd install a fresh copy of the OS at the very least, and if that failed, resort to the FW reset.

Rather than resetting it, why not reinstall it this way?

1) Re-download the FW update in case it was somehow corrupted by or on the Kemper.
    2) Place the kaos.bin file onto the USB stick, but not inside any folder.
    3) Insert the stick and switch the unit on into Browse Mode whilst holding down both Page buttons.

The display will read, "Booting and Burning from USB device".

This isn't the usual way of doing the update, but "forcing" the process in this bare-bones way feels like the way to go for me - the less room for user input the better, methinks.

• Ok guys, I might have figured something out, I had a gut feeling things may have gotten twisted up during testing that's why I wanted to try reamping on my side and in doing that I was able to duplicate my original sound exactly. Since this doesn't line up with everybody else's results I knew that meant either my Kemper is indeed forked or else I got something twisted up in what I sent you guys. Upon review it appears I may have included the wrong tracks for the profile used. If so it occurred because Windows Explorer did not auto refresh causing me to grab the wrong pair of files at the top of the list.

Find the set of test files for reamping at link below:

http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/ONRwxy4u/file.html

See if the DI track when reamped now matches the dirt track. If yes, then we at least know this aspect of my KPA is functioning as intended, otherwise it's definitely borked.

• Well, now my reamped track sounds like yours - no discernible difference.

• Well, now my reamped track sounds like yours - no discernible difference.

Thanks Mike, I figured as much. This is one reason I was initially resisting the reamp testing path because I wasn't familiar with the process on the KPA and was afraid I'd make a mistake someplace. Well, at least I caught it and now we know my KPA is indeed spitting out profile sounds as designed. Which isn't exactly the best news as it still leaves things with a bit of a modeler vibe to me. BUT let's put that aside for the moment because there's definitely still a problem with the profiling process using my amp. There was no mix-up of files on that test, and I ran that test a number of times with the same result.

What can we do next to try and get to the bottom of the profiling issue? Should I turn up the volume or lower the gain on the amp and try re-profiling? Just remember, once I muck up the settings on the amp there's no going back. So if there's any tests or theories that do not involve touching the rig, let's try those first....

• Ugh, I need to get sleep after being up fighting this mess all night. Will back to this later today/tonight.
    If the noise gate knob is the issue, and it really matters for it to be turned down, is there a reason the KPA doesn't temporarily disable it for profiling? :huh:

Aye yai yai...I can't believe I just read every post in this thread, and can't help but come back to this earlier exchange.

Sonic, there may be a possibility you have misunderstood the admonition about ensuring that any noise gate is turned off. If I read your reply (above) correctly, it appears you may have thought we were talking about the noise gate built into the KPA. That is not what we are talking about. We are talking about any external noise gate (e.g. pedal) or noise gate that is built-in or internal to your tube amp. In other words, any noise gate/device that is in the signal path prior to the return to the Kemper. Obviously, the KPA can neither recognize nor automatically turn-off a feature that is built-in to your tube amp (or an external stompbox or rack unit, for that matter).

I couldn't find, or maybe missed, where you described the exact model tube amp you are trying to profile. However, there are a (very) small handful of tube amps that have either posed a problem for the KPA to profile, or proved impossible. One famous example is the earlier versions of the Peavey XXX amp, which had a built-in noise gate that could not be defeated (no external on/off switch).

Is there any chance that the tube amp you are trying to profile has a built-in noise gate??

Cheers,
    John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Thanks John, this makes more sense now. Even so, there is no external gate involved so we can scratch that off. Am I correct to assume then that I do NOT have to worry about the gate setting and/or stomp patch inside in the KPA?

The amp is a hand wired Baron micro tube amp, no noise gate circuit all old school. Can't imagine why it would present a problem to profile.

• if an amp produces considerable distortion in BOTH the preamp and power amp stages, then this will lead to an inaccurate Profile.
    Simply lower the amp's volume.
    You can increase the Power Sag parameter after the Profiling process to dial in the desired amount of sag.

• if an amp produces considerable distortion in BOTH the preamp and power amp stages, then this will lead to an inaccurate Profile.
    Simply lower the amp's volume.
    You can increase the Power Sag parameter after the Profiling process to dial in the desired amount of sag.

I don't see this amp as having much in the way of power amp distortion at the current volume level. It's a 7 watt amp and about half way to max sound level, I don't sense much in the way of power amp distortion either, certainly nowhere near the "considerable" territory level. But I can try experimenting with the volume, and even the gain if we have no other theories left to pursue....