This can't be... what am I doing wrong?

• Sonic, are you aware that Rigs created using 4.x and beyond won't be compatible with 3.x?

Now that you mention OS versions, I would be nice to have a copy of version 3.x and 4.x. in case I ever need to roll back. Is there a place I can get those? (They don't seem to be available for download)

I can send you the latest 3.x and 4.x versions if you PM me your email address.

• Sonic, are you aware that Rigs created using 4.x and beyond won't be compatible with 3.x?

I can send you the latest 3.x and 4.x versions if you PM me your email address.

I didn't load any profiles into the KPA (to my knowledge) that would have been created post 3.x. I'll PM you once able.... IIRC I cannot do so since I'm not fully registered yet.

• <nudges Awesome_Elvis and asks for a sour patch sweet>

<smiles and hands over the bag in the general direction without even looking while chewing viciously and almost annoyingly, also makes lots of "bag noise">

Out of curiosity, does anybody on the forum recall ever hearing about a user having problems isolated only to tone quality? If a KPA appears functioning correctly in every other sense, then my inclination is the odds of a sound quality issue is somewhere between remote and nil. Seems to me the software and circuitry would more likely either work or be blatantly messed up, Not just sound slightly off. Which is one reason I've been determined to keep working at my Baron amp to get to the bottom of the problem. My inclination now is the KPA is likely fine. Although my apparent need for refinement during profiling of my Splawn is something I'll need to look into further. Again though, that's something I doubt would be a symptom of a malfunction. The profiling logic likely either works or not, no in between. I suspect the need for refinement is in no way an indicator of a potentially malfunctioning KPA. Still, I will query support to get their views when I contact them.

Look, I've profiled some weird stuff...

Some don't need refining, some do a little,
    some do A LOT
    Some things, I swear , sound worse after you refine them and it DOESN'T get better each time you try to refine it more and more.
    And then some things just can't be profiled at the moment.

And there are some profiles that need some love like a stomp in the front, a different cabinet, and a studio eq after. Output eq can make a perfect difference and so can the amp volume on page 3 as well as the preset volume on the right. A little output clipping never hurt anyone right?

It only gets better though. My profiles I used and tweaked around 3.x are garbage compared to what I have done in 5.x

Once you begin to actually feel what it can do with the very interrelated amp controls, you will begin to make profiles that will breathe on you like a dragon beginning to purr.

You should play it loud if you want the feels to feel you back .

You're almost there, try taking a step back, play with it, do weird things that sound horrible but are fun and then come back to it with a fresh approach. Give your ears a break, you might be fatigued from listening too hard.

Have you jammed with anybody with it?
    How do you like the cleans?
    Have you ever tried using DJ headphones directly plugged into the KPA? It may sound like a weird concept but, it may also sound badass 8)

Best of success to you and yours in all of your endeavors and may the tones be with you!

Live long,
    And profile :thumbup:

• About tweaking during the profiling process, the manual says: "A 4-band equalizer is available on this page to shape the signal returning from your reference amp, similar to how you would equalize the microphone signal on a mixing desk, before it is returned. Tweaks of this EQ will be integrated into the resulting Profile."

Does this mean any EQ alteration is integrated into the tone as part of the profile in the sense that the EQ settings will still reflect 0 in Browse mode? Or rather does the KPA take whatever EQ settings you altered and apply them to be reflected in the EQ settings in the profile? So for example, let's say you drop the bass EQ by 1.0 during profiling process. When you are finished and go back to browse mode are you going to see the bass reflect 0 or -1.0 ?

(Yes I could try to test this myself but wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking some important detail you guys probably already know about)

• @SonicExporer
    the STACK EQ is always flat after profiling.

Thanks for clarifying Don.

Sonic, are you aware that Rigs created using 4.x and beyond won't be compatible with 3.x?

Hmmm.... good to know. I don't need the morphing and fancy delay features added in 4.x and 5.x but I probably should consider updating to at least 4.x if there's already a known backward compatibility limitation. Thanks for pointing this out.

BTW, I contacted Support ( the crowd cheers! :P ). Since we (forum) together already figured out most of what was happening with my situation there wasn't really any new revelation gleaned other than to say there are just some amps that can't be profiled properly. Oh, and besides noise gates, if there is any clean signal mixed in the distortion path it may also cause issues.

Okay guys, sincerest thanks for all your insight and suggestions in helping me get this situation figured out. And sorry to some of you guys who lost patience along the way.

If any new information or questions surface within the scope of this post's subject matter I will update.

Sonic

• Thanks for clarifying Don.Hmmm.... good to know. I don't need the morphing and fancy delay features added in 4.x and 5.x but I probably should consider updating to at least 4.x if there's already a known backward compatibility limitation. Thanks for pointing this out.

Sonic, I would recommend upgrading Firmware to the latest official public release (non-Beta), which would be "Profiler Operating System 5.0.3 Release", available on this page:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/do…perating-System%20Updates

Note that you need to update Rig Manager to version 1.6, as well. There is no reason to be running an earlier, obsolete Firmware on your Kemper.

Cheers,
    John

• Sonic, The main point being that in addition to new features, the development team are constantly tracking down bugs and fixing them. Therefore, the newest *Release Version* has fewer bugs than older versions.....and more cool features = win, win.

• Is jumping revisions a safe thing to do? For example skipping over 4.x and instead upgrading from 3.x to 5.x.

Yes. As long as you have at least OS 3.X as your minimum Firmware, you can safely upgrade to latest Firmware. In other words, you do NOT need to perform incremental/sequential upgrades. But don't forget to update your Rig Manager to latest version (1.6).

• BTW, I contacted Support ( the crowd cheers! )

:thumbup::D:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Okay guys, sincerest thanks for all your insight and suggestions in helping me get this situation figured out.

Pleasure, Sonic.

And sorry to some of you guys who lost patience along the way.

You're a gentleman after all, mate. Kudos to you.

• Did you do this as I suggested earlier?

In all seriousness though - I'm not sure if you got this brand new or not - but how about we start with a factory reset (or at least a global reset) and applying the latest firmware to get a baseline? If you change anything from that point in the system tell us exactly what it was - then proceed.

I read you did the reset but - what firmware version are you on?

<Cough Cough> Early post...factory reset and latest firmware for troubleshooting baseline...<Cough Cough>