Brand New Owner: Volume level Question

• Hello,

I'm a brand new KPA/Remote (non powered) owner.

I purchased some Yamaha HS7s to be my monitors in a home studio setting. I did not feel I require a "Cab" type output because I do not gig, wanted stereo capability, and don't play enormously loud in-general.

My only concern thus far is that I feel I could use about 10% more volume overall. A friend said a simple adjustment would alleviate this problem easily.

My question is: Should I be looking in the output menu? Should I get monitors with more power?

The sound as-is is quite good, I could just use that extra "10%".

I actually packed-up the Yamahas for return today, but would be happy to keep them if it's a setting issue in my KPA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• It is my KPA "main outs" directly to the monitors via two balanced mic cables. The monitor level is set at +4db, which is the sweet spot for these monitors (detented control knob). I really enjoy the stereo enhancement of this setup.

Currently, if I play with the master output of the KPA at 5, it's a great tonal sound, but just a touch too tame on the volume. Any more increase or adjustment to the spkr level or master volume and it gets a bit shrill.

I'm also hoping that adding slightly more output volume doesn't distort the Yamahas.

I really enjoy the stereo enhancement of this setup. Pic enclosed!

Thank you for the help!

• Welcome, Oasis!

Are you sure the fact that it gets a bit "shrill" isn't due to the room modes' becoming acoustically "excited"? The greater the volume, the more the room's influence on the sound becomes apparent. IOW, the lower the level, the more you're hearing just the sound of the Yamahas, and vice-versa.

Typically, it'll be the reflection of the mids and highs by your walls, floor (if not carpeted) and ceiling that increase to the point that the sound overall becomes harsh / unnatural to your ears as the reflected sound comes into play.

• I have this same setup - you should be getting plenty of volume without the shrill tones.

First, lets draw a baseline. Your HS7's volume is at noon right +4db? That should be perfect for those. Next I'd apply the latest firmware to the Kemper and reset it - then take a look at your Output menu. After the reset all your outputs should be -12db and linked to the main master volume.

Lastly the profile - which makes a huge difference profile to profile I've found. I'm not sure which you are using but look on the amp buttons setting page all the way to the right and check the amp's volume. Kempers profiles are mostly all set at 0 but I find other's for some reason are choked out often times - if it's below zero at least turn it up to 0. That should really open up the volume.

Lastly I usually leave the volume knob on the front panel at noon so that later when you do a performance you can use that to balance your rigs.

Hope all that helps.

Also, these same monitors (HS7) are loud as **** with my Helix so, I have different things to compare them with. Frankly they are the best monitors I've ever had (I realize there are better but for this price range I think they are the best).

• Well...

I exchanged the HS7s for a set of JBL LSR308s today, thinking the added amp strength would help.

First, one was missing a volume knob. Then, I get them plugged-in and.. .the Yamahas were clearly superior.

Yes, I had applied the firmware and set the Yamaha to +4dB. The volume knob was always left at noon.

I did notice that the -12dB box was unchecked on page 1 of the output menu. Hopefully, that was the issue.

The Yamahas will be returning tomorrow.

• Yeah I went from JBL LSR 305's to my HS7's. Never going back.

• I had the hs8 but switched to hs7 + hs8s sw
    Hs8 suppose to have lot of bass but i found them bulky and no bass
    The hs8s sw really gives you that oomph that a 2x12" cab also gives
    For me this was key to get amp feeling at home

Anyway about volume, man how loud you play there?
    You have to shout to be audible?
    I turned down the whole set to below noon to have some more freedom in the master
    These speakers are really loud, a factory reset maybe helps to fix a wrong setting
    Good thing is I don't need to turn up master anymore for 'better' sound.
    Kemper always good sound.