Arturia Microbrute through Kemper

• I recently acquired two new pieces of gear: an Arturia Microbrute synth and a Behringer UMC1820 audio interface (which means I'm saying goodbye to my beloved old AKAI EIE Pro -- those cute flick switches and analog VU meters will be sorely missed :( ).

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to find a way to combine the two.

One of the reasons I upgraded from the AKAI was that it lacked S/PDIF (the other being that I was running low on IO channels -- I like to keep all my gear connected simultaneously so I can quickly move between instruments). Now that I've finally joined the S/PDIF world, it's not only become a lot easier to reamp, but also to use my Kemper as an outboard effects processor. So I threw together a basic setup in Ableton Live: a midi track to receive and transmit notes from my master keyboard to the MicroBrute, a track to receive audio from the MicroBrute, and a send/return to the Kemper through S/PDIF.

Guys, I couldn't stop playing. Here's a short recording. The first part is a classic Floyd-ish 70s sound where I've used the direct recording from the Microbrute with a wet-only (delay+reverb) signal from the Kemper. The second part is all Kemper for a gnarly overdriven noodlefest.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The profile on the second part is @r_u_sirius 's Bogner Shiva Lead with an auto wah and a Dual Delay.

• Ever since I used my DX7 with the factory nylon-string guitar patch through my Boss DS1 distortion pedal for an experimental track back in the '80s I've been huge fan of synth-lead sounds through distortion FX, amp sims and whatnot. The way the DS1 added rich harmonic content to what was the most-benign-sounding, FM-synthesis-produced nylon guitar preset was astonishing, and it forever sold me on the concept.

I loved hearing this, Robrecht; it brought back great memories and fuelled the fire in my belly for including such sounds in my recordings... when they eventually happen...

Thank you, mate!

• Cool, you had a DX-7! I hope you've been storing it in a cool, dry place. :D

I can imagine your excitement back then. I've only recently been really exploring analog synthesis. Metal musicians often just slap some digitally sampled strings on there and call it a day, but that pseudo-orchestral sound always irks me a little -- it's okay as a "filler", if done well, but an analog synth can really be an instrument onto itself.

• Oh yeah. Unfortunately I've never owned a truly-analogue synth. Tonnes of ROMplers, several samplers and the FM DX7 over the years, but having fiddled with other folks' analogue machines, I very much appreciate the value of the "real thing".

Cool, you had a DX-7! I hope you've been storing it in a cool, dry place

I wish! Unfortunately I sold it around 1989, but I regret that to this day. For one thing, a handful of the electric-piano patches inspired me to write about 30 songs in a couple of weeks, so statistically it's been the most-productive synth I've ever owned. It's also the only one I sat in bed with to write and experiment - crossed legs, whacked on a pair of headphones and it was the perfect late-night inspiration machine. I really miss it, man!