Does anyone have any experience using a pair of active studio monitors for home theatre?

• I have been using the built-in speakers of my LG television for some time, now...and (obviously) have never been very happy with the sound quality. I am especially dissatisfied with the soundscape when watching a nice film or television series.

I own, but no longer use a dedicated AV reciever, and nice pair of JBL tower hi-fi speakers, and a Polk active sub. My current living room just doesn't lend itself to having massive tower speakers. Likewise, my AV receiver is boxed up.

I don't really care about 5.1 (or higher) surround sound.

What I would like to do, is use a decent pair of active, 8" studio reference monitors (e.g. KRK ,Yamaha, JBL, etc.) as my television/home cinema speakers.

But here is my problem, and question...

How the heck do you control these guys in terms of on/off and volume...from a common remote. I don't want to have to get up and turn on/off and adjust volume to the monitors, every time I turn on my TV and Roku player. Am I missing something obvious?

I welcome all suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance, my fellow Kemperites.

Cheers,
    John

• Usually I behave as I do with my Yamaha msp5. At first I turn on the KPA (or my laptop/tv) then turn on the monitors.
    My yamaha can be turned off without lowering the volume, so I just push the off buttons, but I can make the same with a smart plug like the DLink, which can be easily controllable with your smartphone.

• Usually I behave as I do with my Yamaha msp5. At first I turn on the KPA (or my laptop/tv) then turn on the monitors.
    My yamaha can be turned off without lowering the volume, so I just push the off buttons, but I can make the same with a smart plug like the DLink, which can be easily controllable with your smartphone.

Hi Jimmyno,

Thanks for your reply. So, say you are watching tv from your couch. Without getting up, and walking over to your Yammy monitors, how do you control the volume? That smart plug DLink is only a smart power switch/outlet.

Cheers,
    John

• How the heck do you control these guys in terms of on/off and volume...f

Volume: You control them via your TV remote since you control the TV output instead of the monitors themselves. Just make sure to adjust their volume once matching the TV settings/displayed volume values.

On/Off: I recommend a remote controlled socket for switching everything on and off.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• A on/off socket is your friend for power control . My Krk rookit 6 g3 went in off modus automaticly when they get no signal after 15 Minutes and they are triggert on when a signal comes up.

To control the Volume:
    You can set the cabs to a max volume that you whish when you tv volume is maxed up. Than you can control this output volume with your tv remote. This is only possible when you use a left/right audio out from your tv to the monitors which are controlled by the remote or you use the stereo headphone out and connect it to the cabs. If nothing works my last idea is a cheap and small mixing desk to control the volume. Signal from your tv into the mixer, main outs from mixer to cabs. But i think it will work without a mixer directly with the tv remote.

• Or, you could go this route:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(Skip to 1:18 -- that's how long they take to finally reveal their product.)

It would be spectacularly over-engineered, but so, so beautiful. :)

• I'm using a pair of Mackie HR824 MK I as my home theater and hifi rig. Works great. I got all periphery connected to a HiFi preamp ROTEL RC972), power switching everything with a wireless remote controlled power socket. The Preamp controls volume, the TV volume is set to a fixed value.