feature request: sustainer

• i could really make good use of a sustainer in some of my playing in various bands. be it covering "heroes" or even
    for some of my own stuff, recordings etc. anybody else think it would be a sensible addition to the already very nice
    selection of stomps available to us in the KPA?

• Hm... I may be wrong, but wouldn't that require dedicated hardware that electromagnetically influences your guitar strings, like an eBow, a Guitar Resonator or a Sustainiac, to actually keep them vibrating artifically? The KPA by itself can't stop your strings from eventually going silent; there's only so much you can do to keep that naturally decaying vibration audible, and we already have the tools for that (compression and overdrive).

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to have that kind of sound in the KPA!

• the new delays can create something like this (use smear & infinity)

oh, ok, will check that out, thanks for the headsup!

to robrecht: my trusty old GT8 has an effect similar to what i mean - not really like a sustainer, more a feedbacker, but with a
    reeeaaaly long sustain. maby i should have been more precise, i apologize for the confusion. of course you are perfectly correct
    in saying that for something like a fernandes sustainer or e-bow effect, there needs to be a magnetic fild in place that keeps the
    string resonating. that, of course, will be impossible to achieve on the KPA.

• I see what you mean now. I had a GT10 that had the same effect, indeed described as a feedback simulator or something. Didn't it generate a sustaining tone based on the pitch of your guitar note?

Don's trick would sound a little different but it should be interesting too. The "Smear" parameter masks the attack of the delayed note to blend it in nicely with the direct signal, and "Infinity" keeps it around forever without decaying (even when the original note stops).

• I see what you mean now. I had a GT10 that had the same effect, indeed described as a feedback simulator or something. Didn't it generate a sustaining tone based on the pitch of your guitar note?

Don's trick would sound a little different but it should be interesting too. The "Smear" parameter masks the attack of the delayed note to blend it in nicely with the direct signal, and "Infinity" keeps it around forever without decaying (even when the original note stops).

will try that for sure, haven't delved too deep into the new delays as for now however, and wasn't able to locate the infinity parameter you guys speak of on a first, quick skim through.
    could you give a boneheaded knuckledragger a nudge in the right direction? ;)

• from the The Deeper View & Reference Manual 5.0, page 87:

"Above the Feedback soft knob you will find the Hold button and, on several delay types, an Infinity button. Both buttons are so-called "Action & Hold" functions. These can be assigned to the Effect Buttons of the Profiler Remote for performance applications. To assign them, hold the desired Effect Button on the Remote with your foot, while you press the respective soft button above the display on your Profiler. To undo the assignment, repeat the same action.

Hold
    "Hold" is an Action & Hold function, which turns the delay into an endless loop. The delay track will be repeated without losing or gaining level, and without sound degradation. The input of the delay is cut, so no further signal is added to the delay, allowing you to play along to the loop.

Infinity
    When you activate "Infinity", another Action & Hold function, Feedback will be switched from the regular value(between 0 and 100%) to the Infinity feedback value that spans from 100% to 200% and is separately controllable.This feedback lets the delay repeats build up instead of decaying, pushing them deeper into tape saturation, wherethey will repeat indefinitely, as the sound degrades over time. To ensure a pleasing, lush result, you should adjustthe sound of the tape saturation with the High Cut and Low Cut parameters.
    Set Mix Location to "Post" if you wish to control the signal level of the saturated delay by the Mix control.In contrast to the Hold function, Infinity Feedback still lets you add more signal to the delay, creating intermodulation with the repeated signal.The Hold and Infinity buttons can both be assigned to one of the Effects Buttons of the Profiler Remote. Step and hold the desired Effects Button (I to IIII) while you press the "Hold" button or the "Infinity" Button.Both the Hold and Infinity buttons can also be assigned to a foot switch that you plug into one of the pedal inputs of your Profiler or Remote."

• Is the a way to set this up as momentary vs latching?

I'm sure that would be possible with an assigned footswitch, as Don quoted above from the manual. I'm guessing you're referring to setting this up with an effect button. I haven't tried this yet. Anyone else?

Gary ô¿ô