Mic Preamp

• If you like to use some condenser microphones then you'll find that the KPA can NOT power them.
    The KPA has NO phantom power output - so a mic preamp is needed.

In case you have a fine mic-pre - done - in case you are looking for something small not to expensive, able to connect two mic's at once and good quality check this out:

http://www.mackie.com/enews/Recording.pdf

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• how did you mic up your cabs?

Nothing special really. An AKG C3000 condenser and a SM57. Most people liked the ones best where the SM57 is only blended a little bit, mostly it is the condenser. I would say 70/30 or 80/20 maybe. Both mics with close miking with the same distance. Both mics a little off axis but more on the cap. This gives a rather harsh and trebly tone. So i tried pushing the mids and reducing the highs just a tiny bit. Small changes result in huge differences here. The good thing here is, that you directly eq your cab profile this way. Since the kpa has no function to put an eq on the cab itself, i find this very useful.

Dont underestimate the room you record in. i record in the corner of a room with angled wooden walls and a lot of resoncance which also is transduced to the mic stands. Recording in a cellar with flat concrete walls will give you a totally different sound. I also record not too loud with the cab in the same room. The speakers need a bit of volume to work properly but at my home i use not even rehearsal levels. I hate the sound of poweramp clipping so my approach seems a bit odd for those who like to push their amps to the limit.

close mike

• i miked up my cab in a small drummer isolation room (5m2). KSM313 and SM57 (50/50) close to the speaker and dust cap... but still very bassy and lack of trebles... could be the 313 brings in too much bassy room sound
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37585850/KPA/photo%201.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37585850/KPA/photo%202.JPG

Yep, short and quick reflections. Try a shield on the back of the 313...just my 2 cents...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Just to prevent everybody from spending a lot for mic-pre-amps.

The internal Kemper one if quite great - I compared my R121 direct into the KPA with some mic-pre-amps - and think I'll go with the KPA alone ;)

It's even great in case I profile something outside of my studio - all I need is the KPA and a mic.

Note:
    This will not work for condenser mics

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• I was about to create a thread to ask how good the internal mic preamp in the KPA is, so I guess I'll just ask here for more opinions. I wish someone from the Kemper staff would give us some technical details as well.

Edited once, last by Deny ().