To Keep or not to Keep .... * RESOLVED *

• I'm not saying anything specific about the phones extension yet, I don't know yet for sure why yet It is definitely a factor though. And you are probably right about the connection because it is crackling a lot, but not in a shorted wire kind of way. Sounds like noise that a dirty connection makes, which would likely mean corrosion inside. That could definitely mess with response and/or high end. I need to buy some contact cleaner, haven't tried that yet. I've been doing what Monkey suggested and trying to take breaks from this intermittently. The notion of my ears being worn from age is an interesting one though. I suppose that's possible, but I doubt the culprit here because I'm fine playing my practice tube amp and low volume levels. As I said, it is looking like more than one thing is in play but for sure probably the largest is this phones extension. I can't explain why for certain at the moment. Besides the connector, I also wonder if maybe the sheer age of the copper inside has severely corroded. I live in the hot, humid Southeast US and let me tell you, something 20 years old that spent a lot of time in closet storage can grow some interesting things. I only dragged this blasted extension out because the KPA was sitting a distance away as I haven't re-arranged my desktop to accommodate it (not knowing whether I would be keeping it). So I put an extension into the KPA back when I ran into a problem profilng a particular test amp (it was becoming too much of a PITA to exchanging the phones between the DAW interface and the KPA, so I dragged the extension out of the closet not thinking about any adverse impacts in the testing process)

A bit of an aside but I'll share this: Back probably 25 years ago I bought some heavy duty copper speaker wires (10 or 12 gauge) and made my own guitar speaker cables. I ended up using both of them for a while but abandoned a 2nd 4x12 cab for gigs and tossed one of the cables into non climate controlled storage. A few years back I got another 4x12 cab and was doing some testing and breaking-in the speakers. In doing this I recalled the other cable and dragged it out of storage. It sounded like hell and I 100% assure you it did not sound like this when it was first made. To make a long story short, when I got under some good lighting and used a magnifying glass you could see through the translucent casing everything had been majorly corroded and turned green. Connectors were fine, solder joints fine, no crackling. Just a consistently horrid sound. Night and day to the cable that was kept inside under climate controlled conditions (which also had some corrosion but nothing like the other one). Anyway, I don't know the science of all this, but cables DO matter. Speaker, guitar, even power. Anybody who tells you otherwise is not speaking from real first hand experience. Go ahead and actually do the test, not cite science or what you've read on the internet. Go do the real work. Go buy a handful of cables and test them for yourself. You'll be quite surprised how both sound and/or feel can be impacted by a cable - by the type and the length. Give it a try some time, you'll discover new and interesting ways to tailor your tone and feel.

• Based on the perceived 5 ms latency...I am still going with my earlier theory:

@SonicExporer's KPA is moving at 30,000 km/s, relative to his stationary, guitar playing-recording-monitoring frame of reference.

He may be using one of @ckemper pre-production KPA prototypes, which featured a small, anti-matter catalyzed fusion rocket motor, mounted on the bottom of the chassis.

;):D

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• THIS is a distinct possibly given l continue to receive no explanation as to why my firmware is strangely quite outdated relative to the KPA build date. :P

Is this about version 3.3 being installed on your kemper when you received it or something?

Not that outdated, when you take into account that the team probably doesn't go through the shelves of stock with an extension cord and a USB drive each time a new firmware version is out PLUS the shipping time PLUS the stock duration at resellers and vendors etc etc etc....

3.3.0 Release (Build 11973)

Look at the date in above thread (found by quick google search)

• Is this about version 3.3 being installed on your kemper when you received it or something?
    Not that outdated, when you take into account that the team probably doesn't go through the shelves of stock with an extension cord and a USB drive each time a new firmware version is out PLUS the shipping time PLUS the stock duration at resellers and vendors etc etc etc....

Yes. And it is in fact quite outdated and perplexing. Because the KPA was built in October yet v3.3 was outdated in July. There were two more OS releases between v3.3 and the build date, one being a major version (v4 back in July). Makes no logical sense why the unit was built and loaded with v3.3 in October.

Most of what I've gleaned online indicates the OS revs used in production are updated to match reasonably close to the build date, as would make sense. I also chatted with somebody who bought a KPA lunchbox one week after mine from the very same retailer and theirs came with v4.2.2 So again, very perplexing..

• I work for a cable manufacturer and the longer the cable, the more you risk degrading the quality of the signal, nothing to do with latency that I've encountered. I'd suspect any length of cable that could possibly relate to latency would have to be pretty gargantuan, and nowhere near the length of a 3ft and 15ft headphone cable, even with an extension. Copper aint got nothing to do with it.

I'm wondering if @SonicExporer would be better served making a video with this alleged latency. It wouldn't mean it's the KPA's problem 100%, but would at least get people to understand what he's dealing with.

• To be clear, Sonic, @Gary_W was talking about signal quality, not latency, when referring to degraded copper wire, so in essence, you agree with him, me, MementoMori and Michael.

Glad to hear you've been brave enough to implement some Monkey Advice™ and are trying to take breaks. Good boy! 8o

• THIS is a distinct possibly given l continue to receive no explanation as to why my firmware is strangely quite outdated relative to the KPA build date. :P

You continue to receive no explanation from anyone because you're not asking the right people, If you still didn't register your Kemper (You need to contact support otherwise you're trolling), there are two possibilities that I can decipher so far and I find neither to be amusing, just Sad:

1-your Kemper either was old stock sold to you by whoever dealer (it could also have been hot/stolen kemper for all we know). Register it by giving the serial number and you'll get answers.

2-Supersonic is just another name for another member here,who either was banned or just retired and can't find anything to do so he thinks he's having fun at the expense of some good hearted patient members of the community, who in reality are also amused to observer how (adjective of your choice) this has gotten. :evil::saint:;)

• You continue to receive no explanation from anyone because you're not asking the right people, If you still didn't register your Kemper (You need to contact support otherwise you're trolling), there are two possibilities that I can decipher so far and I find neither to be amusing, just Sad:

1-your Kemper either was old stock sold to you by whoever dealer (it could also have been hot/stolen kemper for all we know). Register it by giving the serial number and you'll get answers.

2-Supersonic is just another name for another member here,who either was banned or just retired and can't find anything to do so he thinks he's having fun at the expense of some good hearted patient members of the community, who in reality are also amused to observer how (adjective of your choice) this has gotten. :evil::saint:;)

You are making assumptions, you have no idea if I've spoken to support or not, and I've already said before that I will absolutely not register the device until I get to the bottom of things. I have remaining one important outstanding question and one latency issue (we'll call it that for now, still being worked through)

The information I've shared is correct regarding build dates and OS versions as it pertains to production so you can scratch off your theory #1. And as for #2 you truly must be mental if you think somebody would go through all the time and effort I have with this KPA unit to be some kind of troll.

• You are making assumptions, you have no idea if I've spoken to support or not, and I've already said before that I will absolutely not register the device until I get to the bottom of things. I have remaining one important outstanding question and one latency issue (we'll call it that for now, still being worked through)
    The information I've shared is correct regarding build dates and OS versions as it pertains to production so you can scratch off your theory #1. And as for #2 you truly must be mental if you think somebody would go through all the time and effort I have with this KPA unit to be some kind of troll.

Well, in the last 12+ page marathon thread you refused to contact support with a support issue. Now you are doing the same. If you contacted support as you previously said you would, you definitely would have declared your serial and registered your unit. By saying you have more questions before doing that, including questions that only support can answer, you clearly haven't contacted them and I don't know what more will make you. Nobody here can explain the OS you got. I don't know why you think they would.

By the way, support's job is precisely to "get to the bottom of things" and answer your questions.

• Well, in the last 12+ page marathon thread you refused to contact support with a support issue. Now you are doing the same.

By the way, support's job is precisely to "get to the bottom of things" and answer your questions

You are making assumptions. You and Dean must be drinking the same Coolaid.

And I agree entirely with your description of Support's job.

Off to bed, tavel early morning, back online late Monday...

Cheers

• You should probably return that one anyway and get another one to continue your investigation since:

Only have about a week left.

Post #67.

Your first posts were on December 20th and it's now a month & 9 days later. You said you had about a week left on the 13th of January. Things just don't add up on why you continue this battle to prove all the deficiencies of your unit. ?(

• Things just don't add up on why you continue this battle to prove all the deficiencies of your unit. ?(

And things just don't add up why we continue to entertain these threads. Let's assume for a minute that this guy is not a troll. He is never going to be happy with the KPA and he needs to figure that out on his own. These discussions aren't helping anyone.

I suggest to that everyone that we let these threads die. Nothing good will come of this.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Maybe to eliminate these kind of non sense threads;

Public forum: (Pre sales) Profiler- Questions and Answers.

Private forum: (Kemper Owner) Profiler-Questions and Answers

**Edit** Actually this should be moved to the Private forum Profiler related issues and troubleshooting help.

Easy fix. Bye Sonic

• And things just don't add up why we continue to entertain these threads. Let's assume for a minute that this guy is not a troll. He is never going to be happy with the KPA and he needs to figure that out on his own. These discussions aren't helping anyone.
    I suggest to that everyone that we let these threads die. Nothing good will come of this.

I seriously doubt he's trolling. Some people are more nit-picky over details than others, and when you consider how much a KPA costs it's easy to see how a person with these tendencies might kick it up a notch or two. I tend to be more of a "Don't sweat the little stuff" kind of person, but I can still understand it when others aren't as relaxed about things as I am. It's all good.