Kemper and DXR10

• Afternoon chaps,

Finally made the transition to FRFR with the help of a dxr10. Firstly, the tone is stunning and far exceeds that of my 1960 cab. So in that regard it is a masive step up.

I have a couple of questions about the dxr when used with the Kemper, I have a rehersal tonight so just wanted to check a couple of things.

I am using left main out via xlr from the kpa....should i be using monitor out via a guitar cable to the dxr? From I have read on the forum that the dxr should be set to line and not mic. I have noticed hiss when mic is selected but the unit is silent in line mode. Obviously that is a good thing but there is a considerable volume difference between mic and line. Mic being much louder. Is there a specific reason mic should not be used? As I am a tad concerned I wont be loud enough at rehersal. Also, where should the main volume on the kemper be set compared to the volume on the dxr..should i drive the kemper harder or dxr?

Thanks guys, and apologies if this has been asked a zillion times before.

• Dont use Mic on the DXR10.

Use the Line input of the DXR10 and set it to neutral (if there is such a setting, meaning: when driven at full line level it will produce its maximum, undistorted loudness). If you do that you will be able to control the loudness with the main volume of the Kemper with the least possible hiss. I'd use the XLR out.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Welcome Ancientmariner,

this is how I use the DXR10:
    From Kemper Monitor out via Instrumentcabel to Input 2 (left/mono). DSP and HPF turned off on the DXR. Sounds great.
    I have never used Input 1. I think the DXR10 is loud enough for rehearsals and small to medium clubs.
    Have fun with your new gear ! :D

Wolfgang

• Yes that makes sense, thanks chaps. I was also concerned using the main outs would be too hot if i used the other main out to foh. I ususally set the main volume on the kpa to -25db just to be sure i dont hurt the desk. Will there be any noticable difference in tone betweeen xlr/main output and guitar cable/monitor out?

Thanks again.

• I am using left main out via xlr from the kpa....should i be using monitor out via a guitar cable to the dxr? From I have read on the forum that the dxr should be set to line and not mic. I have noticed hiss when mic is selected but the unit is silent in line mode. Obviously that is a good thing but there is a considerable volume difference between mic and line. Mic being much louder. Is there a specific reason mic should not be used? As I am a tad concerned I wont be loud enough at rehersal. Also, where should the main volume on the kemper be set compared to the volume on the dxr..should i drive the kemper harder or dxr?

This is what I recommend based on my personal preferences with the use of active FRFR monitors:

• You should use monitor outputs for monitoring. I.e. monitor out, and possibly direct out if you have two speakers.
    • All outputs from the Kemper are line-level. FRFR-monitors should be set for line-input. An output on the KPA that runs with no attenuation is hot enough to be on the brink of overloading a line-input device. All you achieve by switching a monitor or other FRFR-device into mic-level territory is to add a potential for nasty signal clipping.
    • Use main output(s) for recording and to the board for live mixing. Recording may also be done via S/PDIF.
    • Disconnect main-out from the master-volume on the Kemper. This makes it possible to use the master-volume knob to adjust the level of your monitor(s) without affecting the signal going to the recording or live desk. The soundman will love you for always providing consistent levels.
    • Set main-out to -25dB to provide something similar to a mic-level signal when you use direct XLR-XLR to a mixing-desk/stagebox or recording audio-interface. With this setting you can plug directly into any desk or stagebox.
    • Get a pair of XLR->TRS cables if you need to run a robust noise-free balanced signal. I use this for example to run the KPA into AUX-ins on live mixers if we run out of channels. In this case I run the outputs at somewhere between -5dB and 0dB. One could use the unbalanced TS-outputs from the KPA, but an unbalanced signal is more likely to pick up noise.
    • You may come across audio-engineers who refuse to connect anything other than microphones or DI-boxes to their desk/stagebox. Keep a pair of short TS-cables to connect the 1/4" main outs to DI-boxes in this scenario.

The hiss you hear from an active monitor when set to mic-input is most probably noise from the monitors built-in mic-preamp. I normally turn up my monitor(s) so that it is just a little louder than I need when the monitor-level from the KPA is on full, and then back off a little with the master-volume on the Kemper.

• ou should use monitor outputs for monitoring. I.e. monitor out, and possibly direct out if you have two speakers.

Since I'm still searching for a perfect speaker cab, i might try this DXR 10. But I like playing stereo as well on stage. So I would need two of them. The Kemper has a mono amp though. If I use the monitor out and direct out for these speakercabs I still don't have stereo, only by using the main outs. But moth options would require a (all) valve stereo amp. Can the direct out and monitor handle this, without damaging the internal amp? Even when its volume is set to 0?

• Since I'm still searching for a perfect speaker cab, i might try this DXR 10. But I like playing stereo as well on stage. So I would need two of them. The Kemper has a mono amp though. If I use the monitor out and direct out for these speakercabs I still don't have stereo, only by using the main outs. But moth options would require a (all) valve stereo amp. Can the direct out and monitor handle this, without damaging the internal amp? Even when its volume is set to 0?

In output page 1/6 you set "Monitor Output" to "Master Left" and "Direct Output" to "Master Right", and connect to two active FR monitors. Remember to turn on cab-sim at the same time if you previously have been running the power-amp through a regular guitar-cab. The internal amp should be fine with no speaker connected with its volume at 0. In fact I belive it is protected so that its output-stage shuts down when nothing is connected (infinite resistance). It is too low resistance, and ditto higher current, that is most likely to kill a poweramp.

• In output page 1/6 you set "Monitor Output" to "Master Left" and "Direct Output" to "Master Right", and connect to two active FR monitors. Remember to turn on cab-sim at the same time if you previously have been running the power-amp through a regular guitar-cab. The internal amp should be fine with no speaker connected with its volume at 0. In fact I belive it is protected so that its output-stage shuts down when nothing is connected (infinite resistance). It is too low resistance, and ditto higher current, that is most likely to kill a poweramp.

This.