Turn off the Amp block via MIDI?

• Like the title says; can I turn off the Amp block in the Kemper via MIDI CC? I looked at the CC list and didn't see it but wasn't sure if I was missing something or...?

You can do it with NRPN or Sysex, not sure about midi CC, I don't think it's possible, but then again, I thought access to the looper would be impossible with midi cc's too.

Amplifier (Address Page 10)2 On/Off4 Gain6 Definition7 Clarity8 Power Sagging9 Pick10 Compressor11 Tube Shape12 Tube Bias15 Direct Mix

• You can do it with NRPN or Sysex, not sure about midi CC, I don't think it's possible, but then again, I thought access to the looper would be impossible with midi cc's too.

Amplifier (Address Page 10)2 On/Off4 Gain6 Definition7 Clarity8 Power Sagging9 Pick10 Compressor11 Tube Shape12 Tube Bias15 Direct Mix

Ugh. Round and round I go haha :cursing:<X Still working on my switching and thinking I have a workaround for some things but deactivating the amp block via MIDI. I have never messed with SYSEX messages and really am not sure if the switching solutions I am thinking of are even capable.

• Ugh. Round and round I go haha :cursing:<X Still working on my switching and thinking I have a workaround for some things but deactivating the amp block via MIDI. I have never messed with SYSEX messages and really am not sure if the switching solutions I am thinking of are even capable.

Some of the "more capable" midi floorboards can do this. Stuff by Liquidfoot, RJM, Gordius can all send NRPN. I think I even read in a post about the BJFE (BJE? BFE?) boards can send two NRPN messages.

• For my curiosity- can you give an example of when you would want to disable the amp block instead of selecting another rig/slot that doesn't contain an amp block?

I have my SY in the loop of the Kemper and am using it also for switching via PCs. The Kemper does not keep up with it while in performance mode. I am aware of the delayed display during performance mode switching situation. If I switch too fast on the SY; it lags and I will end up on the wrong preset. It's not a visual thing as I can hear that I am on the wrong slot despite pressing the button the exact # of times and the display on the SY showing what should be the correct preset. I ended up assigning MIDI PCs to each rig and switching in browser mode.

For synth stuff; I switch to a patch with amp and cab blocks disabled and the loop active. The synth audio routes through the loop accordingly. What I would like is to be able to stay on one patch and disable amp and cab blocks via midi while calling up different PCs on the SY with one controller. I'm honestly going nuts about the whole thing.

• Some of the "more capable" midi floorboards can do this. Stuff by Liquidfoot, RJM, Gordius can all send NRPN. I think I even read in a post about the BJFE (BJE? BFE?) boards can send two NRPN messages.

I have been looking at the Midi grande/forte stuff for some time. I keep hem hawing because of price and the switching lag that will be there no matter what solution I go with. Then I think of the tone and 8o<3

• I have been looking at the Midi grande/forte stuff for some time. I keep hem hawing because of price and the switching lag that will be there no matter what solution I go with. Then I think of the tone and 8o<3

Have you tried just lowering the rig volume on your Kemper, while keeping the loop active? Would that work for your purposes? Or does that kill the loop volume as well, I'm not sure.

As an alternative, you could put the loop in a parallel path and then morph the parallel path signal from -5 to +5 to accentuate each instrument.

• @nightlight ; could I pan from the synth rig to the traditional guitar rig with an expression pedal? I would want one or the other; never both simultaneously. I'd want it to be a hard pan and not one where the signals blend from one to the other as the pedal travels; so to speak. If I could that; that would be an absolute money-saving game changer for me.

• @nightlight ; could I pan from the synth rig to the traditional guitar rig with an expression pedal? I would want one or the other; never both simultaneously. I'd want it to be a hard pan and not one where the signals blend from one to the other as the pedal travels; so to speak. If I could that; that would be an absolute money-saving game changer for me.

I guess whether it blends for a long period of time will depend on how fast you move the expression pedal! There will be some overlap when you move it through the intermediate zones between heel and tip.

But I don't think it would be very long!

Why not try it out and see if it can save you some money? ;)

• I guess whether it blends for a long period of time will depend on how fast you move the expression pedal! There will be some overlap when you move it through the intermediate zones between heel and tip.
    But I don't think it would be very long!

Why not try it out and see if it can save you some money? ;)

Tried it last night. I can morph between a parallel path via expression pedal and morphing feature. The downside is it doesn't include delays and verb from the Kemper in the guitar tone chain which I need. You know; for clams and such [Blocked Image: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/smilies/hidebehindsofa.gif] The other downside is my EV5 expression pedal won't go from -5 to +5. It goes from -5 to like +3.9. The sweep is off just enough that there is bleed through on one end of the pedal sweep. The other end is fine. I think the whole thing is a rabbit hole that is just going to get deeper without a real resolution if I keep trying to configure it the way I am.

• Tried it last night. I can morph between a parallel path via expression pedal and morphing feature. The downside is it doesn't include delays and verb from the Kemper in the guitar tone chain which I need. You know; for clams and such [Blocked Image: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/smilies/hidebehindsofa.gif] The other downside is my EV5 expression pedal won't go from -5 to +5. It goes from -5 to like +3.9. The sweep is off just enough that there is bleed through on one end of the pedal sweep. The other end is fine. I think the whole thing is a rabbit hole that is just going to get deeper without a real resolution if I keep trying to configure it the way I am.

Why wouldn't it include the reverb and delay in the tone chain? You should have your guitar toward the +5 side and the synth on the -5 side. That would get you the amp block as well as all FX.

Not sure why your expression pedal isn't performing a full range sweep, if you set up the morph, you should be able to get it to go from -5 to +5 no matter what the sweep. Just put the pedal at heel, turn the knob to -5. then put the pedal to toe and turn it up to +5.

I just think you want to get more gear, like I always do. Inventing necessities haha :P

• Wanting more gear is a lifetime pursuit :D

I followed this video. 20 seconds in shows how it splits the signal with parallel processing. Delay and verb are after the amp block and on path 2. Which is what the synth signal follows. The expression pedal sweep I think is a little wonky. Unless I need to setup morph again; which could very well do the trick.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wanting more gear is a lifetime pursuit :D

I followed this video. 20 seconds in shows how it splits the signal with parallel processing. Delay and verb are after the amp block and on path 2. Which is what the synth signal follows. The expression pedal sweep I think is a little wonky. Unless I need to setup morph again; which could very well do the trick.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

From what I could make out, they said path 1 (which is the parallel path), only goes through stomps A and B and then the output. Not delay or reverb.

Path 2, which is where your guitar signal would be, goes through C and D, the stack, effects and output.

If your synth has its own reverb, you could put it in the parallel path without any worries, imo.

Do try and make a fresh morph, it should work, no matter what kind of sweep your pedal has.

• Path 1 is where my guitar tone is routed. Path 2 is the synth. Which is what makes this totally useless for what I am trying to do. If you can swap the paths (make Path 1 Path 2 and vice versa); it would be better. I would lose my wah on the guitar path if that was possible; so that's another reason to find a different way to do it. :( Thank you for all the help/advice/suggestions though [Blocked Image: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/smilies/beer.gif]

• Path 1 is where my guitar tone is routed. Path 2 is the synth. Which is what makes this totally useless for what I am trying to do. If you can swap the paths (make Path 1 Path 2 and vice versa); it would be better. I would lose my wah on the guitar path if that was possible; so that's another reason to find a different way to do it. :( Thank you for all the help/advice/suggestions though [Blocked Image: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/smilies/beer.gif]

Oh, now that is interesting. Why would you sacrifice the delay and reverb, and more importantly the amp and cabinet on the guitar in favour of the synth?

• I'm not wanting to sacrifice anything LOL :) I want guitar Reverb and delay on One path and my synth on the other. The problem is that those paths are static as far as I can tell. So guitar is always on path 1 without the effects that I want and the synth is always on path two. There's no way to flip flop that that I can see. Unless if I move the loop to the back of the second block of stomps and I am not sure if that will get me the results I want.

Looking at a midi controller now that will switch how I want and just giving up on the blending via EXP pedal. I could put the Kemper in my Boss' loop and blend signals like I want but then I would have to have a direct box after it as the outs on the SY are 1/4" and not XLR. Right tool for the job and all that.