FRFR Monitor placement

• Hi All,

So I have taken the plunge fully into FRFR world with 2 x DXR10's running stereo, leaving my 2x12 cabs at home for now...

My question is, how do you setup your FRFR monitors in terms of placement? As floor wedges, standing up as back line etc etc.
    Especially for;
    1) Rehearsal with band, vocal PA only
    2) Small gig, vocal PA only
    3 Larger gig with full FOH

• I have a low budget solution - I use a Tech 21 Power Engine like a traditional cabinet behind me and a Alto TS210 on the floor in front of me. The Tech is for stage wash and the audience and the Alto for me.

• 1. On the floor in front of me. I turn it into the room of the others can't hear me well.
    2. Somewhere behind me, for the audience to be able to hear me.
    3. On the floor in front of me.

• I treat my DXR10 just like I would a guitar combo. Always behind me and always pointed at my ears not my ankles as much as I can.
    For a full FOH mix it can be on a stand on the floor in wedge position angled towards me.
    When I have no FOH mix, I get the DXR as high as possible, so that me and the audience can hear it.
    I tried putting my CLR on a pole once. It was great! But not practical for 99% of the places I play.

Can't deal with it pointed at it me from the front. Just habit I guess.

• When jamming with my band I put my DXR10 behind me in the wedge position & very close to me so that most of the sound hits me at about waist level. To me this sounds very much like a regular combo amp standing upright behind me. I never liked pointing a combo amp at my head. I used to use 2 DXR10s in stereo (both in wedge position) but I now use 1 DXR10 because it takes up less room & sounds more focused. I turn the EQ setting on the DRX10 to "off".

• 1) we never rehearse
    2) as a wedge behind me
    3) stacked if at all possible

The dispersion angles of your DXR's is much wider than regular guitar cabs, you won't miss the dead spots lol.

• Especially for;
    1) Rehearsal with band, vocal PA only
    2) Small gig, vocal PA only
    3 Larger gig with full FOH

1. Side of me so the other can hear me.
    2. back of me as high as possible.
    3. as wedge side or back of me (depend on stage situation so the other can hear me)

• I have a Friedman ASM – 12, that I love the sound of, but there's no way that I could rehearse with the band, or play live with it. It's just simply not even close to being loud enough for those applications. It's the only part of that unit, where I'm completely disappointed. You would think a 500 W powered speaker, would be deafening loud, this thing is not even close to being loud as the 15 watt tiny terror I had once.

Actually sent it back to Friedman to have it checked out, as I was convinced there had to be something wrong with it. Dave Friedman makes great products, but provides the absolute worst service of any company I've ever experienced. Well, except Carvin/Kiesel, they are the absolute worst!

• ok so I finally got to try out the dxr10's live with the band at cranking volume. Pretty happy overall actually.
    I had them setup in wedge configuration.

Two things that I had to do once I had them up and running loud;
    1) engage the HPF at 100hz, was just too boomy in the bottom end
    2) wind back the master output presence as all my patches which sound great at lower volume were way too bright up at stage level.

Anyone else had this experience and recommendations? I don't want to have to setup two sets of rigs for different volumes!

• Not sure that can be avoided. The louder you play the more the treble will bother you. Or, at least, that has been my experience with every guitar rig i've ever owned.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Look up Fletcher Munsen curves...

It's why it's fairly pointless setting up your gig level sounds at low volume - well not pointless but when you push the volume the non-linearity of you hearing response will mean you will have to bleed off some bass and treble to get the same perceived sound.

Regards,

Simon

• Yeah, I'm finding FRFR does bring this out. With my old tube amp and cab, yeah sure I'd wind back the presence a bit as the volume went up but with FRFR it is more pronounced.

This experience has led me into Michael Britt's profiles which can be dark sounding at low volume, but perfect loud! :)

Edited once, last by burger ().

• When somebody takes the Fletcher Munson curve and has it Morph along with my volume pedal I will buy that rig!

Wouldn't be practical. Unless you could apply that morph to the whole band.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.