Anyone converted and tried the Celestion IR's yet ?

• yes I got the greenbacks and the vintage 30's...(both 2x12) and I like them, much better than the ownhammers and redwirez to me, but still..a good kemper-cab is hard to beat

• yes I got the greenbacks and the vintage 30's...(both 2x12) and I like them, much better than the ownhammers and redwirez to me, but still..a good kemper-cab is hard to beat

I bought the G12H and i have your same opinion.
    My suggestion is to tweak a bit the cabinet: I smooth the top end with the Hi Shift and reduce the boominess by lowering the Lo Shift.

• I've got the creamback and Greenback 4x12. I really like the greenback. I'd say the greenback especially the high gain sm57 and R121 is probably my favourite impulse I own. I own quite a few ownhammer, have tried rewirez, made my own and also tried torpedo a lot recently.

• Bought 18 packs, converted 599 IRs and already saved all 599 presets/cabs as new rigs - fingers bleeding :) I will test in depth this weekend.

The few I tried worked real good - also with pure cab on. Maybe because the Celestion IRs sounded crisp before converting with cab maker, it's a bit compensating?!

I did not have a real WOW! experience yet - BUT: While using them I didn't "miss" anything in the sound and they seem to amalgamate (if not to say "merge" ^^ ) very good with various di profiles. "Sounded just right" - and that, I haven't noticed barely with any other IR out there, I have to admit.

• Bought 18 packs, converted 599 IRs and already saved all 599 presets/cabs as new rigs - fingers bleeding :) I will test in depth this weekend.

The few I tried worked real good - also with pure cab on. Maybe because the Celestion IRs sounded crisp before converting with cab maker, it's a bit compensating?!

I did not have a real WOW! experience yet - BUT: While using them I didn't "miss" anything in the sound and they seem to amalgamate (if not to say "merge" ^^ ) very good with various di profiles. "Sounded just right" - and that, I haven't noticed barely with any other IR out there, I have to admit.

Let me know which ones are your favourites please....I dont really want to shell out for all of them but was leaning towards the creambacks.

Having cabs with Vintage 30's and using them as monitors has probably,unfairly,put me off them

• Tried a bunch of converted Celestion IRs again today. Conclusion so far: I got very (surprisingly) different results with different profiles. First I isolated some favorite packs (Greenbacks and G12H Anniversary Open Backs), but then noticed, that some "rejected" cabs worked brilliant with other (di-) profiles, preamps (like Engel E530) and pedals.

So for now, I am not a real help and can't recommend one or two "packs you have to go for" yet. Sorry!

The IRs are tagged for easy use, but don't take names as rules; e.g. the tagged "Lo-Gn" can sound better with High Gain Amps, when "Hi-Gn" sounds kind of dull. But on the other hand with my Engel E530 the "Hi-Gn" IRs sounded real fine.

The Creambacks G12M-65 vs G12H-75 had very different bass response. The G12M-65 very loose and with nasal mid range. First I didn't like it so much, but with some profiles it sounded very cool for vintage lead tones. Using it more and more! The G12H-75 has plenty of bass too, but more cleaned up and muuuch tighter. More modern (or better balanced) and very interesting for high gain and even metal.

In general you can "sort" some cabs out, that you wouldn't buy in real (but of course you are free to experiment - for less money and work). But who really does need a closed cab with Alnico Blues, ha? Vice versa, how often do you need Greenbacks in an open back cabinet. Almost always sounds better in closed cab. The G12-65 is classic in 4x12 cabinets for a reason and so on.

What I have noticed while testing various profiles, with different success: the di profiles from Rigbusters (Cornford MK50H and Mezzabarba Skill) sounded phenomenal with ALL Celestion IRs from every pack?! @Fero, how could that be :huh: The two amps sounding great with every f...ing speaker and cabinet... something magic in there, for sure :)

• I looped a simple riff, then recorded a comparison using Rigbusters Mezzabarba with Celestion IR.

IR Loader in DAW vs Kemper vs Kemper with Pure Cabinet.

First 3 riffs all Celestion V30 412 C SM57 Fat: NadIR - Kemper - Kemper with Pure Cabinet On
    Next 3 riffs all Celestion G12H Anniversary 412 C SM57 Fat: NadIR - Kemper - Kemper with Pure Cabinet On

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• I've been trying the 4x12 Greenbacks converted into Kemper cabs. Some are thinner or fatter depending on the mikes and placement used. But many tend to be a tad boomy. In general you may need a high pass filter when recording (well, you always do, anyway). You may play with the cab in the Kemper too. I like them. They can tame the harshness of some rigs.

Never too old for rock'n'roll