Been testing powered kemper today - not loud enough

• iwas testing toaster today....they plugged in 50 watt speaker....
    it was not loud enough, how can a 600 watt amp be so quiet....
    I just wanted it to growl but it did not......

Will it be different on my marshall cab 4x12????

I was dissapointed....I mean the sound were pretty good....but it was too quiet.....
    any suggestions

I have 50 watt marshall JCM 900 at home, and it is really loud.....not like this one today....

• I'm not an expert on anything electrical, but I'm thinking maybe the speaker's Ω rating was too high. IOW, the more resistance the speaker provides to being pushed by the amp, the quieter it'll be.

If it was 8Ω, that might explain it. Still, 600w -> 50w kinda scares me a little. Perfectly-fine for high-end hi-fi applications where you don't crank the amp, but I'm guessing you cranked the Kemper, no?

Hmm...

• Because today’s solid state amplifiers do a good job across the board of maintaining a voltage output of 2.83 volts, many companies consider this as their standard of measurement. Here again, 2.83 volts are inputted and measured at 1 meter. [Note: 2.83 volts into an 8 ohm load is equal to 1 watt. Ohm’s Law: Power (watts) = Voltage (V) x Current (I) or Power = V_/R (impedance in Ohms)]

Because a speakers’ efficiency in transforming (transducer) power into sound is greatly determined by the impedance of a speaker, 2.83 volts becomes greater about 1.5 watts at 6 ohms and 2 watts at 4 ohms — a 3dB increase.

I'm sure the KPAs 600w (at 8 Ohms) power amp will be loud enough for you with the right speakers. Of course this could mean unwanted additional expense.

P.

Edited once, last by P3t3rB ().

• Well, I didn't understand the hieroglyphics, Pete; that's normal for me, however, your post did remind me of the fact that several here have commented about how they can finally overpower their bass players / drummers etc. after years of having had to play second fiddle to them and be at their mercy... or lack thereof.

In light of this, the OP's lack of volume during the test does seem very strange to me.

• I play a 50W Marshall VM and the Kemper Powerhead through a Marshall 412. The MV on the VM Is set at 6. The Kemper is louder with the volume at no more than the 50% mark. The cab is 16 ohms.