Will phantom power damage my kemper?

• Hi, utha.

Why the doubt?

Here's a link to the original post.

• Yes, the Outputs are phantom power proof.

CK

Source: Why is this forum not bursting with activity?

Also

• We did perform all kind of tests with phantom power and were not able to provoke any damage. Theoretically, phantom power could diminish the dynamic range of the output amplifiers, but we didn't notice that. I remember one case, when phantom power caused the PROFILER outputs producing noise, but only while the PROFILER had been switched off! So the phantom power triggers the PROFILER's output amplifiers, while these don't get powered internally. Generally, it is not a professional practice to feed phantom power into active devices and reasonable mixing desks allow activating phantom power by channel strip.

• I have a question about cables though.

If you use an XLR->Jack cable (XLR Kemper side) Jack (Interface side in dual port XLR/Jack)

Will there still be phantom power on the cable going to Kemper when 48V enabled on interface?

I believe only the XLR connector supplies power no ?

• Correct weight mate.

The 1/2" jack will not supply phantom power.

EDIT:

There's a logical reason for this:

Phantom power is meant to be delivered to condenser mic's, none of which employs a 1/4" jack for connection - only XLR.

EDIT 2:

IIRC you can buy USB condensers nowadays. Any "phantom" power required would be supplied that way too, although at a guess I'd say it wouldn't be the traditional voltage level 'cause IIRC the standard USB power level is much-lower.

• I have a kemper Stage and I am wondering if the TS jacks on monitor outs and main outs (1/4" instrument jacks) are protected from 48V. My poor mans focus rite scarlettt doesn't allow me to switch individual channels of phantom power off. It does have the combination inputs however to accept XLR or 1/4. I fed it 1/4" for probably a combined 30hr across the span of a year, with this switch unintentionally left on.

• Official Post

The PROFILER's XLR outputs are protected against phantom power. But it is no good habbit to feed phantom power into the outputs of powered devcies, since it can compromize the performance of the output amplifiers.

• TS jack’s don’t send phantom power as you need 3 conductors but TS only has 2.

i had a situation, years ago, of a foot-operated microphone-mute switch which was inline with the XLR cable between mic and desk muted by shorting pins 2+3 (so there was no potential across them, ie, muted signal) The desk had globally-switched 48v phantom, as it not uncommon on some desks. The footswitch also shorted pins 2+3 to ground (pin 1).*

The desk did not offer sufficient short-circuit protection (think it was a Seck model, remember them anybody?) Consequently, the 48v dvc power supply (on pins 2 & 3) was shorted to earth (pin 1) and within a short space of time overheated and damaged the external power supply before eventually blowing the fuse. Whether the internal short-circuit protection or the fuse protection was inadequate it melted the power supply, rendered the desk without phantom for all inputs and was a potential fire hazard. Also meant phantom was no longer available to anything/anyone who needed it.

Lesson learnt-

A cautionary tale where using a balanced connector (XLR) wired or adapted to an unbalanced (mono jack) that is connected to phantom-power source is unadvisable in case the 48v has no short-circuit protection. A DI box can isolated this issue.

*side note: A guitar volume knob shorts the signal (tip) to ground when you turn it to zero, though its very rare to have a balanced guitar connection let alone phantom, but someone copied this approach for the mic-mute circuit., discussed above)

• Thanks for the additional clarification slateboy

I was referring specifically to TS to TS connections. In this scenario phantom power could be a problem as TS to TS can’t send power because it doesn’t have enough conductors so the desk end won’t be able to send the power.

I can’t really think of any situation where someone would send a signal from XLR at the desk to a single TS plug for the Player to connect to. A more common scenario would be XLR from the Player to a TS or TRS 1/4” plug at the desk/interface end. All the normal phantom power warnings obviously apply in this case though.