Do you need to totally reformat your USB stick for every update?

• I have a USB stick that I've used before to backup and update the OS, but it seems like if I put the new version of the OS on the stick, the Kemper doesn't "see" it. The only externals storage options are for rig backup/update. Am I missing something?

• I have a USB stick that I've used before to backup and update the OS, but it seems like if I put the new version of the OS on the stick, the Kemper doesn't "see" it. The only externals storage options are for rig backup/update. Am I missing something?

Although not generally required, this time I would reformat the stick and try again.
    Kemper must be running BTW when you plug in the stick.

Hmmm, that is strange.

If you haven't tried this already, make sure that the existing (your current) OS file is not currently in the folder "OS Update". In other words, make sure that folder is empty. Then, try putting the new OS (.kaos file) onto the root directory of the USB drive (i.e. do not put it into any folder).

If that doesn't work, then, obviously follow @Ingolf method, which should definitely do the trick. However, make sure you don't forget to first make a complete backup of your USB drive, and store it on your computer. If you haven't been also copying the content's of your USB drives "Backup" folder to your computer, then you are going to lose all the prior backup files.

IMHO, it is always a good idea to get in the habit of breaking a KPA backup into two steps, and doing both every time you make a backup.
    First (obviously) you backup onto your USB flash drive. Then, immediately backup your USB drive onto your computer.

Cheers,
    John

• LOL. Another one of those "so obvious I forgot to ask" type of trouble-shooting questions. Good point, @HELL-G.

It is kind of like the instructions for Pop-Tarts -- make sure to remove outer foil wrapper before inserting in toaster. :D

Not a total idiot, pals. Worked finally when USB stick reformatted.

• Not a total idiot, pals. Worked finally when USB stick reformatted.

Good to hear, Stacey,

And no offense was meant. When it comes to computers and digital devices, we ALL have made incredibly "obvious" mistakes...and in my case, I continue to do so, with conviction and in almost joyful abandon. :D

I think I enjoy the detective work involved in figuring out what ridiculous (but in hindsight, oh so obvious) step I overlooked.

Glad that you got it sorted out. By the way, I am not implying you made any sort of mistake in the first place. Sometimes, it really is digital Gremlins.

Welcome to the KPA family.

Cheers,
    John