Re-amping question -- Just watched a video, and now I am even more confused.

• Hello fellow Kemperites,

Heretofore, I have only used my Kemper as a guitar amp. However, I wanted to broaden my horizons and learn more about this magic box's capabilities in the recording realm. One of the possibilities that intrigues me is the ability to re-amp a DI track.

So, being the inquisitive and studious guy I am, I started watching some YouTube tutorials specific to re-amping with the Kemper.

Things were going well, until I came across the following video, which has got me more puzzled then I was before:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't get why Lars (the video uploader) is using a Radial X-Amp Reamp box. I also don't get where the Radial J48 DI box comes into the equation. I posted the following in the comments, hoping for some clarification from Lars. I am sure he will respond...but I also wanted to pick the brain of my fellow Kemper owners who are well versed in this sort of stuff. Help a confused brother out.

----------------------------------

Hi Lars. I apologize in advance for the possibly stupid question...but why do you go through a Radial X-Amp Reamp box? I thought you didn't need any additional gear (besides the Audio Interface) when reamping with a Kemper?? Or does it have something to do with the out-board (external) stompboxes you are using? I guess my question is...why aren't you using the KPA itself for making the original DI track? And then, I get more confused when you bring the Radial DI box into the equation. I am not sure I understood the purpose of this additional box. I mean, I understand you would use a DI Box if you wanted to make a Kemper "Direct Amp" profile of one of your tube amps (which I assume is off-camera)...but you didn't explain this. So, Thanks in advance...and thank you for the uploading this video tutorial. Cheers.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
    John

• HAH!!!!!! I've been to many drinking parties with that guy back in the day! Thanks for sharing that video :)

I think it's because the video is not related to the kemper itself, more reamping in general. I assume that he has been doing this before getting the kemper, and that's just the way he does this by habit.

Ahh, I see...now that makes sense.

Thanks for that, Michael.

P.S. -- Do you have a particular Re-amping website article or YouTube video that you might recommend? Thanks in advance.

• What are you looking for?

the reference manual has a chapter on everything related to the kemper side of things. There's also a link in my signature,

Hi Michael,

I missed that link in your signature. Thank you for pointing that out. Will be checking that out...so thanks again! And yes, the Reference Manual is my go-to source. And I agree, there is a fine explanation on the methodology and step-by-step process for how to re-amp a DI track. However, I want to learn more about the hows and whys people use re-amping in real-life practice, especially where it relates to the recording process, and the individual's particular and peculiar needs.

Cheers,
    John

• there is an official reamping tutorial video on on our website: https://www.kemper-amps.com/video

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, I have watched all of the Kemper tutorials (multiple times), including the one on re-amping. For the most part, the tutorials are excellent, and an incredible resource. However, I found the re-amping tutorial to be way too short, IMHO. It left me with a lot of questions. In regards to the re-amping tutorial, I guess I was looking for a bit more detail and depth. I also would have liked a bit of a "bigger picture", bringing DAW-based recording into the picture, and showing why recording a separate DI track allows for future re-amping possibilities.

Cheers,
    John

• Thanks for your reply. Indeed, I have watched all of the Kemper tutorials (multiple times), including the one on re-amping. For the most part, the tutorials are excellent, and an incredible resource. However, I found the re-amping tutorial to be way too short, IMHO. It left me with a lot of questions. In regards to the re-amping tutorial, I guess I was looking for a bit more detail and depth. I also would have liked a bit of a "bigger picture", bringing DAW-based recording into the picture, and showing why recording a separate DI track allows for future re-amping possibilities.

Ok... on the "how" side I personal reamp mainly via the SPDIF connection of the Kemper. Sometimes I do a reamp with a reamping box (little labs redeye 3d) but when I do this I can also grab a profile and reamp through SPDIF afterwards.

And why...
    There a different reasons to do this. First of all, I record the DI just for safety. If something goes wrong it's much easier to correct it direct at the source. And than there's the opportunity to make the final sound decisions when everything is tracked. Especially when you record and mix yourself it could be a good idea to split up tracking and sound design. What I like about being recorded in a foreign recording studio is, that I only have to play guitar, I don't have to care about the technical stuff. With re-amping I can do the same thing, I only care about the performance and sound decisions will be made afterward.
    I also like to stay on a tone, to have the possibility doesn't mean you have to do it.
    There a also creative tricks that can be done. As an example, if I want to quad track heavy guitars it's nice to use different sounds which complement each other. It is much easier to start with one sound and than dial in the second one by using re-amping while you are listening to the whole. Also for combining amps or combining multiple gain structures, a more or less used "trick" is to add a low gain sound with lot's of definition to a high gain one to bring up the attack and clarity without loosing the gain.
    I use it a lot on bass guitars to dial in a bit of distortion and it's nice to do this in the context when I know where my guitars will be in a mix. Lately I experimented with a bass tone where I add a little bit of a re-amped bass track through the same amp profile as the main rhythm guitars and I really liked the results because it glues nicely. :)
    So there are many reasons why re-amping could be useful. Sometimes it's just fun, sometimes it's essential and sometimes it's because something went wrong or the sound decision during tracking wasn't right. And often there's an unused DI track. ;)