No backlight on brand new remote

• Hi guys,

I received my Kemper remote today. The whole thing is working as supposed to except for one thing: the remote display backlight is not turning on.
    Has anyone encountered this? Is there something I can do about it or do I just need to return this one immediately? Damn, what a bummer!!

All help is greatly appreciated!

• Hi Steve,

Yes, I have. It doesn't matter what value I set it to. The LCD stays unlit with both values: 0 and 16383 (and everything in between). It also doesn't matter if I connect the remote before turning the KPA or after turning it on.

• I second the recommendation by @SteveH. Try a new ethernet cable. The Remote is using PoE (Power over Ethernet). When you have a bad cable, often, what has happened, is that one or more of the pin connections in cable's connector(s) has been damaged, or is defective. If that is the case, you might get this problem of the Remote not being able to illuminate the backlight.

If that doesn't work, then definitely contact Kemper GmbH Support.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Thanks for the suggestions guys! Unfortunately another (brand new also) LAN cable did not help and the remote LCD backlight still stayed unlit.

• Unfortunately I bought it directly from Kemper and that involved overseas shipping. Gonna be a long and painful return process. Oh well, don't think I have much other options ^^

• I second the recommendation by @SteveH. Try a new ethernet cable. The Remote is using PoE (Power over Ethernet). When you have a bad cable, often, what has happened, is that one or more of the pin connections in cable's connector(s) has been damaged, or is defective. If that is the case, you might get this problem of the Remote not being able to illuminate the backlight.

If that doesn't work, then definitely contact Kemper GmbH Support.

No, if the remote powers up and works other than the back-light, it is 100% for sure not the cable. If the cable is working to power the unit then it is for sure not the cable.

I noticed people mentioned checking the software setting for back-light level, you should also check the physical knob on the back of the remote itself too.

• No, if the remote powers up and works other than the back-light, it is 100% for sure not the cable. If the cable is working to power the unit then it is for sure not the cable.

I noticed people mentioned checking the software setting for back-light level, you should also check the physical knob on the back of the remote itself too.

Isn't the physical knob only for display contrast? Anyway, I tried that one also (and the LCD contrast setting from the system menu) and it works: the contrast does change as it should. The only problem is missing backlight from the LCD, otherwise the screen works just fine. Unfortunately it's impossible to read without the backlight in non-optimal conditions (pretty much every single real world scenario). Also all LED lights on the board are working and functionalities seem okay - it's just the backlight and nothing else.

• Isn't the physical knob only for display contrast? Anyway, I tried that one also (and the LCD contrast setting from the system menu) and it works: the contrast does change as it should. The only problem is missing backlight from the LCD, otherwise the screen works just fine. Unfortunately it's impossible to read without the backlight in non-optimal conditions (pretty much every single real world scenario). Also all LED lights on the board are working and functionalities seem okay - it's just the backlight and nothing else.

Yes, you are correct. I was misremembering things a bit there. But good to hear that is working as it should. Does sound like the LCD back-light was somehow damaged in transit and as such your remote will require repair or replacement.

• My rack mount and remote board arrived last night from Sweetwater. I have the same problem. The rack mount powers on just fine, but the board will do a quick flash and then not stay on. I contacted Tom Koch at Sweetwater about this. I'm hoping a software update can fix this but feel that it's an electronics thing. What does everyone else think?

Sean

• My rack mount and remote board arrived last night from Sweetwater. I have the same problem. The rack mount powers on just fine, but the board will do a quick flash and then not stay on. I contacted Tom Koch at Sweetwater about this. I'm hoping a software update can fix this but feel that it's an electronics thing. What does everyone else think?

Sean

Welcome, Sean! :)

The quickest way to resolve this is probably by contacting kemper support directly (especially if it's a software thing). There's a link for contacting support in my signature :)

• Adjusting the contrast pot was the first thing I did. I'll contact Kemper support right away. I'm willing to test things before giving up and shipping back for a replacement. I'm just happy that the actual rack mount works fine.