cab sim on off

• Hi everyone,

I'm confused. Finding Monitor cab on/off hasn't been a problem. But I have been really looking for cab sim but in vain. And I'm sure that this option was available. Now I'm beginning to think that, due to new updates, this option has been renamed in Kemper. Anyone to support this and remember it was previously called CAB SIM (for the same purpose): differences in speakersound, using different profiled cabs in conjunction with an FRFR speakercab ?

• Hi everyone,

I'm confused. Finding Monitor cab on/off hasn't been a problem. But I have been really looking for cab sim but in vain. And I'm sure that this option was available. Now I'm beginning to think that, due to new updates, this option has been renamed in Kemper. Anyone to support this and remember it was previously called CAB SIM (for the same purpose): differences in speakersound, using different profiled cabs in conjunction with an FRFR speakercab ?

You mean in main, @theplayer? If you want to have cab simulation turned off fore MAIN outputs, turn off CAB on Profiler's front panel and LOCK it. I'm not aware of any other option that was turning cab sim off for MAIN outputs.

• Are you perhaps thinking of the Pure Cab setting, which produces a sound that is more like listening directly to a cabinet in the same room instead of a mic'ed cabinet? It's also in the Output Settings, or (if you want to set it individually per rig) in the Cab section.

• Halluzination ... the option to deactivate the guitar speaker simulation for the MONITOR OUT specifically has never changed its name nor its position in the menu. It's called "Monitor Cab Off" since day one.

• I found this topic from saschak

Cab Sim affecting sound on monitor out

Jul 11th 2014
    Hi there,

i have a problem that i could not solve yet.

I run the Kemper thru the monitor out (cab sim off) into my tube power amp into my 4x12.
    The main XLR out is going directly to the mixing desk.

It now ofund out that the cab sim is highly affecting the sound that is coming from the monitor out. I love the sound when cab sim is off. But then it is useless for the mixing desk.
    Obviously, when i switch on the cab sim, mixier sound is good, 4x12 sound is not good (monitor out cab sim of is definately enabled)

Anyone has a tip for me how to solve that prob?

Thanks, Sascha

Can anyone explain? Surely he talks about cab sim too...!

• Cab sim is just a generic term to describe the cab simulation that is used in digital amplifiers.
    There is no function with that name in the Profiler and there never was.
    To switch the cab module off for all outputs simply deactivate it on the front panel.

• OK.
    Do I understand right that having a real FRFR-speaker cab with monitor cab ON you really can try different profiled cabs in the Kemper for their identical sound? I tried several cabs in cabinet button (with just my regular Marshall 2x12 cabinet) but they all sound alike.

• You may have misremembered the name -- as @hjscheffler says, "cab sim" is a generic term that was never used in the Kemper -- but maybe we can help you find the function you're looking for.

To summarize, there's:
    * Monitor cab off (in the output settings): disables cabinet simulation for the Monitor output exclusively (in case you connect it to a real cabinet).
    * Pure cab (in the output settings as well): modifies the sound from that of a cabinet recorded through a microphone (the way profiles are captured, and the standard signal chain heard on recorded songs) to that of a cabinet heard "live".
    * The Kemper's cabinet section: long-press the button marked "Cab". Here, you can change several settings that affect the sound or load cabinets from other profiles by turning the "Browse" knob (to the right of the screen).
    * Short-press the Cab button to disable the cab section altogether (for all outputs).

Edit: cross-posted with your post above. :)

• OK.
    Do I understand right that having a real FRFR-speaker cab with monitor cab ON you really can try different profiled cabs in the Kemper for their identical sound? I tried several cabs in cabinet button (with just my regular Marshall 2x12 cabinet) but they all sound alike.

Your physical cabinet is probably coloring the sound too much to hear a real difference. Try using headphones (plugged directly into the Kemper's headphone output) if you don't have an FRFR speaker at hand. That will give you an impression of how strongly the cab can affect the overall sound.

Of course, to hear a difference, the Cab section needs to be enabled (white button LED lit).

• OK.

If you connect a FRFR monitor to the monitor output you should not activate the monitor cab off function. You only should activate the monitor cab off function when you connect a non linear guitar cabinet to the monitor output or speaker output of the Profiler.
    Of course with a regular guitar cabinet and monitor cab off activated you will not hear the character of the profiled cabs but the real cab in the room. That is the purpose of that function.

• Thank you all for this clear explanation. I understand now the need and advantage of monitor cab ON when using an FRFR speaker cab. I'm still using a regular cab, now with monitor off but a good FRFR cab will make the difference.