Hackintosh??

• I had one on my laptop, it was a PITA since laptops have fixed hardware so I needed new and modified .kext files.
    But if you want to built an hackintosh from the scratch, you'd rather buy the best parts for compatibility and then follow the instructions.
    Usually it works with no issues at all, beside the fact that is not suggested to perform system updates right from the app store, but you'd rather wait for the new instructions.

• I haven't built an Hackintosh, but wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a second hand Mac and avoid the trouble, especially if you're a novice? There is no big speed difference in the last 3-4 generations of Intel cpu, they concentrated more on power management and you could be fine (probably, I don't know your use cases) with an older generation iMac/MacBookPro/Apple Mini. You should take a look at the refurbished section of their website for good deals on returned hardware.
    Cheers,
    Calin

• Installing Apple's OS not on Apple's hardware is denied by their terms of license. I did not know this until I saw some YouTube presentation of some hackintosh build.

Off course chances that Apple will chase you for that are minimal ;)

You may take a look at successful Hackintosh build:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

---------->>>>> http://snazzylabs.com/article/skylake-mac-mini-hackintosh/ <<<<<--------------

• I've made a few of them over the years, usually because Apple don't make the exact form-factor that I was looking for.
    They are much easier now, if you pick the right parts, last time I tried it the only tricky part was getting iMessages and Facetime working, but I think they have figured this out now.

Some tips:

• Try to pick hardware that is similar to stuff used in real Macs (especially graphics and audio), then it will likely be supported out of the box. This means less hassle for you, and easier updates in the future.
    • Look for Golden Builds on TonyMac, or check their Buyers Guides for compatible hardware.
    • Sometimes its worth disabling stuff on the motherboard if you can get better support for a plug-in replacement. i.e. LAN, wifi, audio and bluetooth chips are easily replaceable with a plug-in PCI card or USB dongle, and it's usually easy to find one that uses a supported chipset if your motherboard does not.
    • Might be worth setting it up offline until you're sure everything is working before connecting it to the internet and trying things like iMessages and Facetime, apparently one problem a lot of people have is that Apple's servers will block machines if they suspect they are not real Macs. Usually you have to use a tool to generate a serial number and insert that into a config file in order to make your hackintosh appear "real" to the iMessage/Facetime servers. Best to get this right before connecting online.
    • I would recommend getting a motherboard with a UEFI BIOS and then using the Clover bootloader.

If you get the hardware choices right then it can be as simple as:

• Prepare a USB installation stick (ideally made on a real Mac using a download from the App Store instead of downloading some hacked image from who-knows-where).
    • Configure some settings in your motherboard's BIOS for compatibility with Mac OS.
    • Boot from the prepared USB stick and install Mac OS.
    • Install and configure the Clover bootloader (this can be a bit technical but it's not too bad).
    • Generate and install suitable serial numbers into the Clover config files.
    • Check that you can sign into App Store, iMessages, Facetime.
    • Enjoy your new Mac :)

It's a lot simpler than it used to be, and if you can do a "vanilla" install (i.e. without needing hacked kernel drivers for unsupported hardware) then you can safely install updates straight from the App Store now.

Hope that helps,

Charlie

• Installing Apple's OS not on Apple's hardware is denied by their terms of license. I did not know this until I saw some YouTube presentation of some hackintosh build.

Off course chances that Apple will chase you for that are minimal ;)

True, but, there are local organisations that earn their money by tracking down companies who have illegal software in use, en then propose them a settlement instead off tipping of the software makers to sue your @** ;) In Belgium at least (https://bsa.nl/risicosoft). Private users usually are below the radar, but if you're runing ie a studio with a VAT number, you could be in trouble.

Also, I don't know what the forum rules say about discussing illegal things here ;)

• I would be buying a legit copy of the apple OS. It doesnt suit me to buy a mac pro because i would be stuck at a G5 as my Pro Tools Cards are PCIx. If i buy a newer Mac Pro it needs me to buy all new pro tools cards that i do not want to do and i defo do not want to go to Pro Tools HDX until more DSP plugins are available. So my only option is to buy an old PC that Avid support with ProTools or make a Hackintosh

• Just for fun I built a year ago or so a very powerful machine with 32GB RAM, 2 SSD and the latest Intel processor. It was not sooo easy to install OSX on it (what I did on a separate HD dedicated to OSX). I made use the typical instruction sources and after a lot of back and forth the Hacintosh was running. However, sometimes it freezes and I think it is just not worth the effort. My daughter is using an iMac since years without any hazzle... Would recommend to go for the real deal. Unless you like to solve some problems from time to time w/o being a real computer expert..

• I don't think you can buy OSX "legally". It's not a product for sale separately, it's bundled with the Macs.

So the only way to do this is the illegal route.

Only tip I can give is use supported hardware and you should be fine. Just one thing that doesn't play well with OSX and you'll be going crazy trying to figure out which component is giving you grief.

• I don't think you can buy OSX "legally". It's not a product for sale separately, it's bundled with the Macs.

So the only way to do this is the illegal route.

Only tip I can give is use supported hardware and you should be fine. Just one thing that doesn't play well with OSX and you'll be going crazy trying to figure out which component is giving you grief.

What amazed me @nightlight, you can buy their software

http://www.apple.com/shop/prod…mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

[Blocked Image: https://s28.postimg.org/lmkuctplp/aaa.png]

• If your focus is on music I would buy a real Mac as it is challenging to keep up with updates etc for the Hacintosh. A lot of trouble and frustration.. Is still think a Windows PC is as good as a Mac for recording... (and I have several Macs at home...)

• Having recently gotten a 2015 MBP 13" I was comparing power with my 2011 iMac and my daughters 2012 MBP 15 is still faster.

So a 5 year old 15" MBP i7 with 8-16GB ram is modern enough to last easily 5 years.

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• I've done a few and every build is different depending on the hardware. Most people run into issues when they use spare hardware they have lying around and trying to get it to work. If you are building from scratch and only use known and tested compatible hardware, it's quite simple.