New KPA for Helix user

• Just got a KPA and Remote along with one of the Mission expression pedals (think I got a deal - $1950 total).

Anyway, hooked it all up this evening and played around for a couple hours...plan on spending the weekend to get to know it and start tweaking.

I've been using a Line 6 Helix for about 6 months now, and after learning it and using Impulse Responses, I got some really great sounds and loved how easy the Helix is to use.

Obviously, I have a lot of reading/research/learning to do with the KPA. Anybody else out there come to the KPA from a Helix?

As far as cabinets go - I only see a handful in the KPA...do I have to load cabinets from somewhere else?

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way on the KPA to start from scratch?!? Like in the Helix, I can create a new patch from a totally blank slate...I pick the amp, cab, effects, etc. just by choosing an empty preset...is there a way to select an "empty" preset in the KPA and build from there? So far I've only done it by picking an existing preset and tweaking everything and then saving it.

Anyway, looking forward to getting into the KPA world! I'm planning on keeping the Helix too - I use it for vocals because it has phantom power for condenser mics. At this point, I haven't really seen/heard anything that the Helix can't do, but I'm hoping that'll change as a I become more of a "power user" of the KPA! LOL

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice guys!

- Eric

• Welcome Eric!
    Update to the latest OS 5. and then load Rig Manager and start previewing some rigs with the gain or amps that you are interested in. Scratch is a starting point with the KPA that has to do with what type of amp and gain you are looking for as someone has profiled their amp with settings that they prefer and chose to share it with everyone. Find one that is close to what you like and tweak from there.

• Welcome!

Just like when using a hardware amplifier, each rig starts with an amp profile - you can select one, bypass all the effects, change the cabinet, adjust amp and cab parameters and EQ, and add effects.

There are hundreds of cabinets in a stock KPA - when you Browse the cabinets, you can select "from Rigs", and you will have your choice of cabinets from all the rigs installed in the KPA.

• thanks guys!

another ? that I have...I'm confused on the way I would create a harmonizer effect. On the Helix, it was extremely easy to add a pitch effect to a patch that would allow a single harmony part added to the original note(s) by either a button click or blending in with an expression pedal. For example, you would just set +4 for a third up from the note(s) being played.

I didn't see an option in the pitch section that allowed just one note.

I'm sure I'm just missing it...what's the best way to utilize the pitch shifter / harmonizer in the KPA?

• In either Browse or Performance mode, enable a stomp by holding the button down and then using the knob to scroll through the effects until you get to the Harmonizer. From there you can use the EQ knobs to select what interval you want, what key it's in, the mix, etc. You have to use the page buttons to see all the parameters, but it's pretty simple, just takes a little scrolling.

• Or even better call banks "performances" and presets "Rigs"

Raf

ps : the harmonizer thing you are talking about can be achieved with the so called "morphing" function , but I suggest starting with the basics , although everything on the kemper is easy as hell :)

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I came from helix, just sold it,
    Yes the helix is way easier to set up esp with the editor,,,,, If you want easy,,stay with the helix,,
    if you want tone to DIE for, kemper is the only choice other then carting around 20 tube heads,
    Just got three call back from a one off session, when the producer asked if I could get a sound like a VOX , I did, when he wanted a deluxe bluesy thing,,, I did, he was very impressed to say the least, Kemper has MADE me money,like no other gear has ever done,
    Find the right profiles,Its only as good as what you put into it,, start with M Britt, and go from there,
    ENJOY,,,,Welcome

• Thanks everybody.

My Kemper is on 5.0.3 or something like that...I didn't go to 5.1 yet since it was a Beta still...is it considered stable enough to go ahead and move to? (I haven't switched to the most recent Helix update as people were finding bugs in it so I was a bit hesitant to go straight to 5.1 on the KPA.)

I fully intend on keeping the Helix as well as the KPA, as the Helix has phantom power for mics and I use that for vocal processing a lot...can't do that with the KPA, but I hope to sway over to the KPA for guitar. The Helix has some pretty great sounding reverbs as well and I haven't found the reverbs in the KPA all that great.

I was using several Impulse Responses from 3 Sigma Audio with the Helix that were great, and when I got those files there were also Kemper files included...I guess I can somehow get those into my Kemper and they'll show up as cabinets available to me?

The 3 Sigma Audio "Martin D45" acoustic impulse is fantastic on the Helix with my Music Man Majesty's piezo bridge...if I was able to use that with the Kemper as well I'd be very happy! I need a "Kemper For Dummies" book...the included manual isn't the most helpful IMO. That's one thing that is great about the Helix...you don't even need a manual - it's literally that easy to figure out what you're doing. Bare with me...I've been a KPA owner for just a few hours, I'm sure I'll get it eventually - I'm usually pretty tech savvy! Hahaha

• Welcome to the forum! You can convert IR's to Kemper cabs using the Cab Maker utility: Cab Maker

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I just came from Helix too. The interface and routing of the Helix are the big winners. For pure amp feel and tone the Kemper kills it in my opinion.

Remember the Kemper is the non-tweakers solution from what I've heard. You dial in a rig, adjust some familiar parameters and you are off and running. Cut out all that other nonsense.

Less time knob turning and more time fingers burning!