Some profiles inspired by Passion and Warfare

• I've shared a couple of profiles named VaiRiddle[#] that reflect a few my attempts to emulate the tones of Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare, specifically the first 8 bars of "The Riddle". The amp and EQ sections reuse free ADAMP1 or other profiles that others have shared, but I have created new cabinet/mic/EQ IRs directly from the low notes of the 8th bar of the Riddle where the band stops and Vai hits the low notes on the 7 string Universe. From the spectrum of that audio you can infer quite a bit about a cabinet IR that sounds like the record.

You can hear what these can sound like here (where I plugged a UV77SVR directly into the kemper (or through a MXR Distortion+) and have added compression and verb/delay in my DAW - not in the Kemper)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And I talk more about my approach in this blog post (that is continually updated):
    eugenedeon.com/project/paw/

I'll continue to share profiles inspired by PAW tones under "eugtone". Enjoy. Comments and questions welcome.

Edited once, last by ejdeon: changed website link into actual clickable link ().

• I've shared my latest attempt at a passion and warfare profile: a JCM 900 mkiii preamp into a Marshall 9005 power amp. Recommend a MXR distortion+ or SD-1 in front of the profile for R/Lead tones, respectively. Kemper not really doing justice to the two real amps - recommend both if you really want that tone. The cab IR only has the G12M25 speakers (Riddle intro and The Animal), not a blend with G12H30s for the rest of the album.

on rig exchange, titled VaiJCM2

• I'll continue to share profiles inspired by PAW tones under "eugtone". Enjoy. Comments and questions welcome.

Hey ejdeon, impressive research and work. Congrats.

Please check my delay preset for Ballerina. Hope you like it. Feel free to use it.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

drive.google.com/open?id=0BzqbontAmxz8YTRaWXhHc0Q4YnM

Or manually:

Insert "Chromatic Pitch'" into "MOD" slot

Voice 1 Picth: 9
    Voice 2 Pitch: 5
    Detune: 0
    Voice Balance: 0
    Mix: -10%
    Ducking: 0
    Volume: 0
    Stereo: 180º

Insert "Two Tap Delay" into "DELAY" slot

Mix: 100/100%
    Delay Time 1: 180ms
    Delay 2 Ratio: 50%
    Low Cut: 20.6 hz
    High Cut: 33488.1 hz
    Reverse Mix: 0
    Stereo: 200%
    Modulation: 0
    Flutter Intensity: 0
    Flutter Rate: 0
    Grit: 0
    Swell: 0
    Smear: 0
    Chorus: 3.0

• I've shared my latest attempt at a passion and warfare profile: a JCM 900 mkiii preamp into a Marshall 9005 power amp. Recommend a MXR distortion+ or SD-1 in front of the profile for R/Lead tones, respectively. Kemper not really doing justice to the two real amps - recommend both if you really want that tone. The cab IR only has the G12M25 speakers (Riddle intro and The Animal), not a blend with G12H30s for the rest of the album.

on rig exchange, titled VaiJCM2

Such a great profile! Had lots of fun with this the other night, sounds very authentic, even though I’m not using an Ibanez or the same pickups. :)