Taking the leap to KPA- HELP!

• Hi everyone,

After a lot of research I have decided to begin selling off my amps, stomps, etc to go with the Kemper. I need help deciding on which kemper and what cab/frfr solution is best for me.

I play 2 ways: At home studio - recording into Studio One or Protools. And I play live shows at small bars and some larger venues for weddings, etc.

I NEED some sort of cab or FRFR behind me on stage. I don't ALWAYS have the luxury of a good PA in some of these bars, so I must rely on my "on stage" speaker to put out my sound to the audience. I have some great powered Mackie monitors, but I am dead set on keeping them as floor monitors. I play mostly country, classic rock, and 90s rock.

I like the idea of a rack mounted Kemper behind me with a small cab or FRFR to sit it on. Preferably a traditonal shaped one for aesthetic purposes, but not a deal breaker.

My vox ac30h2 is my primary tube amp now, but it will be sold to fund this transition. (Plus it is going to give me a hernia - HEAVY)!

What suggestions do you have for my need of a cab or frfr as a behind me on stage speaker?

• Hello Johnclifton, and welcome:

Are you currently using your Mackie monitors for personal stage monitors? In other words, are they floor mounted wedges pointed towards you, and away from the audience? If yes, then is there any reason why you want a "traditional" cabinet style monitor (i.e, something that aesthetically looks like a guitar cabinet) to be floor mounted and behind you...if that is the speaker/monitor which is providing the primary sound to your audience?

I guess what I am saying, is it sounds like you have your personal monitoring covered with the Mackie(s). If you are playing relatively small to small/medium venues, then I am thinking a couple of pole mounted monitors would be best for sending your music out to the audience...preferably positioned in front of you, offset to either side

Again, I am assuming a lot, here...so perhaps you could clarify your current set-up, and what your hopes are for your future KPA based system.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Thank you and Great questions.

My monitors will be pointed at me. However, some bars we use only have an adequate pa to push vocals and acoustics. So I need to have something behind me to push sound out to the front row of the crowd and sometimes the entire crowd. I know it's not ideal, but it is necessary in a few situations. I also just like to have that stage noise (personal preference). So I want SOMETHING pushing sound out from behind me

• It seems there are 2 breeds of Kemper users, The ones that like frfr for live monitoring, utilizing profiled cabs to the max, and the ones that prefer guitar cabs because it gives an amp in the room sound.

If you have the opportunity to test those with a KPA against eachother i would recommend that.

I use a cheap ass fender mustang through the return, cabs off, works pretty well.
    Boss katana imo maybe even a better choice.

If you go frfr, why not try the mackies first? Or do you do voc and need them in front of u?

• I do need the mackies out front as wedges for vocals. Sorry I should have clarified that. Also I sometimes play acoustic. And i plan to use the kemper as basically a DI / preamp for my acoustic during acoustic shows. If that helps

• I do need the mackies out front as wedges for vocals. Sorry I should have clarified that. Also I sometimes play acoustic. And i plan to use the kemper as basically a DI / preamp for my acoustic during acoustic shows. If that helps

Well, considering you also have occasion for acoustic-only shows, IMHO you probably want a sound system for your KPA that gives you the most flexibility...and that would definitely be a FRFR-based monitor. That way, you leverage the Kemper's power/features to the most advantage, employing the cabinet simulations as necessary. If you play through a traditional guitar cabinet, than that greatly limits the range of your amplified tones. In general, a traditional guitar cab/speaker contributes approx. 75% of the over-all "tone" of the amplifier. In other words, if you were to demo different types and styles of tube amps through a single, specific guitar speaker cab (i.e., held constant), you will will not hear a dramatic difference in tone...especially for crunch to distorted gain sounds. However, if you did the reverse, and held constant the tube amplifier, but demo'd it through different types of guitar speaker cabs, you will hear a dramatic change in tone between the different speaker cabs.

A FRFR monitor will give you the most flexibility in ensuring that any given Kemper Rig/Profile (which typically = Amp + mic'd speaker Cab) will be transparently and accurately reproduced. A profile of a Fender Twin will sound like a Fender Twin. A profile of a Deluxe Reverb will sound like a Deluxe Reverb. A Marshall SLP screaming through a 4x12 closed back stack will sound like a...well, you get the point. But most importantly, in your case, the FRFR solution will also accurately reproduce the lush timbres and harmonics of a clean, acoustic guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit -- and this gets us back to an earlier question. Do you plan on going with a powered KPA, or a non-powered KPA? That will determine whether you want to focus on a passive FRFR or an active FRFR. IMHO, the powered KPA gives you a lot of flexibility.

Cheers,
    John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Great advice. I am open to either Powered kpa with a passive frfr or the other way around. I do want to maintain the sound integrity of the kemper and not color it with a traditional cab.

So I guess my question now is what combination is best for my needs?

• For active FRFR monitors, the Yamaha DXR10 gets a lot of praise, here on the KPA forum.

If you are looking at a more budget friendly solution, the newer generation Alto TS210 has also gotten positive reviews.

Keep in mind that the powered KPA's built-in amplifier is mono-only, and provides a mono amplified signal through its Speaker Output. However, you still have available the KPA's stereo Main Outputs and Monitor Outputs, which can be fed to powered monitors.

For a passive FRFR monitor, that is housed in a more traditional guitar cabinet style form, I would recommend you check out the cabs from XiTone or Mission:

http://xitonecabs.com/models/index.html

https://missionengineering.com…emini-1-p/?v=7516fd43adaa

• I'm digging the mission. Looks like what I am looking for.

So the final question is: powered kemper with passive mission 1x12 or non powered kemper with the active mission?

Pros and cons?

So the final question is: powered kemper with passive mission 1x12 or non powered kemper with the active mission?

Pros and cons?

Powered Kemper is only mono output. If you want stereo, go for non-powered Kemper and two stereo active speakers.

Of course, traditionally, guitar is mono, so in that case, you might not mind a single cab. Also, even if you get the active, you could always disengage the power section and feed two speakers if you'd like. You could also feed the PA a stereo signal using the XLR main outputs.

Pros and cons?

I own a powered Kemper and a Mission Gemini 1-P. Love it. If you want that amp aesthetic, the Mission stuff is really the way to go.

As for the powered vs unpowered debate, I went with the Kemper power out of mere convenience but every speaker and FRFR manufacturer I've spoken to don't care for the Kemper's power amp. I'm sure the powered Gemini gives you more dynamics, same with the Matrix FR10's and FR12's. At this point I went for convenience because, like you, if I ever play out in a crappy place and don't have my Mission (assuming I would go into the board), I at least have the power amp to use any cab available.

• I'm in a similar position as the op and use a dxr10. I use it as a floor monitor when we have a pa or mount it for side wash. I also mount it behind as a backline solution when no pa. For me, it works brilliantly.

• I will be getting a Kemper soon, and pairing it with a Xitone FRFR wedge. I have heard that the Xitones have a tighter bottom end. Not to mention I WANT to utilize
    the cab profiles the Kemper has to offer. I am hoping the "Pure Cabinet" setting really helps bring that "amp in the room" feel. Thoughts?

• Do not sell off your stomps as they can be used by the Kemper and they sound fantastic. Especially drive and distortion pedals on a clean profile. Do not sell those.

And do not sell you amps yet before you have them profiled.

• Interesting. I would of course profile my amps before selling, but I was planning to sell my stomps. I use 3 different stomps for distortion/overdrive currently. I was hoping the kemper would eliminate the need for my pedalboard altogether. Anybody else have a different opinion regarding drive stomps on clean kpa profiles??

• Interesting. I would of course profile my amps before selling, but I was planning to sell my stomps. I use 3 different stomps for distortion/overdrive currently. I was hoping the kemper would eliminate the need for my pedalboard altogether. Anybody else have a different opinion regarding drive stomps on clean kpa profiles??

Well, John, only you will be able to answer that question. Obviously, the prudent course would be to hang onto your stomps until you have your KPA, and have fully tested it out and dialed in your tones.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, if for no other reason that stompboxes (especially ODs and Distortions) often instantiate an almost irrational attachment and emotional response for guitar gear heads. I know people who have flipped / traded numerous high-end tube amps, which many of us would have gladly given a kidney for, with the same detached insouciance most of us feel when we change our socks. Yet, they will hold onto their beloved dirt pedals as if they were some kind of magical talisman.

For me, the Kemper's built-in OD and Distortion stomps are perfectly functional and satisfactory. I still own all my external pedals, which represent a sizable investment, if for no other reason that I just can't be bothered trying to sell them on Ebay. However, I don't feel any pressing need to use them with my KPA...because, IMHO, the KPA's built-in ODs and Distortions more than get the job done. Again, just my opinion.

Cheers,
    John