KPA just arrived, not able to complete OS boot :-(( HELP!!!

• Hi everybody,

my name is Fabio, I live in Genoa, Italy.

I've been waiting the Kpa to be released since May and eventually arrived home today.

To my deepest disappoint it can't complete the OP boot:

I turn it on following the instructions, the loading screen regularely appears, the

loading bar goes up to around 80% then the screen gets slightly less lit and the loading bar

disappears and stays that way forever, "kemper profiling amplifier" remains on the screen...

I know that kemper team is at NAMM, so I'm not expecting instant support.

Any ideas? Does anybody have the same issue.

most probably it is a software problem, I don't know........ so sad right now

thanks

Fabio

• That sounds more like a damaged unit (maybe transport), I would not mess around with it and just send it back for replacement.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Thank you for your feedback guys, really appreciated

Joeblob: I've read it but my problem seems a bit different, I'll re-read it anyway

Guitarnet70: I don't know, the box was nearly perfect and cosmetically the unit seems immaculate..

I think all I can do at the moment is to wait for K team reply to my assistance request and then decide

whether to send it back and have a new unit...

Fabio

• I seems to have the same problem like you had with booting up.

What was the outcome did you send it back or how did you fix it ?

Bestregards / Niklas

• Hi Niklas,

I contacted Kemper support, they told me to boot from a FAT32 formatted usb stick with the new firmware

(turning the unit on while pressing exit), but did not worked, I reported that to Kemper support on friday and

currenty waiting for their response, hopefully tomorrow .

It's a bit frustrating to have this fantastic new toy and not being able to use it ;(

ciao

Fabio

• Create an "OS Update" (written exactly like this) folder and put the kaos.bin file inside and try again. Not sure that a boot from external storage works if the OS is in the root directory...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Put the latest FW into the root folder of the stick
    Turn KPA off
    Hold the two buttons below the exit button < and >
    While still holding this buttons power on the KPA (but only to Tuner mode)
    Install latest firmware

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• guitarnet: I'll try that, even though Kemper support told me to put the kaos.bin directly on the root directory

armin: already tried that and not working for me

thanks for your input guys! really appreciated

Fabio

• not working as "will not load latest firmware" - or "will stop at 80% the next starting up"?

If the second case than you may have corrupted rigs - try to erase the flash - as explained in my Toast ..." thread.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• HI Armin,

it apparently does not load the latest firmware from the usb stick, (shouldn't the kemper advise that it is booting from usb?, does some message like" firmware update" or "usb loading" apperar on screen when it load something from usb? )

-I turn it on (on tuner) while pressing > <

the loading bar goes up to around 80% then the screen gets slightly less lit and the loading bar

disappears and stays that way forever, "kemper profiling amplifier" remains on the screen...

-I turn it on (on browse) while pressing exit

same result...

(I tried the above putting the kaos.bin file directly on the root directory & putting it in a OS Update folder)

;( ;(

• Even if you put NO usb stick into the KPA - it should display 'booting and installing form usb device'.

All you need to do is:
    1) switch the KPA off
    2) press and hold all the time the two buttons < and >
    3) while still holding the two buttons switch the chickenhead to tuner
    4) Now you should see the display message

• It does not display this message...

I tried several times your procedure but no success

I turn it on, the loading bar goes to around 80% then disappear, I turn it off, press&hold <>, switch on to "tuner"

but still same result: the loading bar goes to around 80% then disappear...

It might be an hardware problem, I don't know...

• Since we are both no native speakers - it's important to hold < and > ALL the time not only to press it once and then turn the switch.
    The message will be displayed immediately - before the KPA boots.

If you hold the keys and turn the knob and nothing happened then the keys may be defect or whatever - can you activate the maintenance mode (hold softkey 1 = top/left obove the display) while starting the KPA?

• Yes I keep the buttons pressed all the time :)

I tried holding softkey 1 (is it the one next to the "type" knob right?) and turning on (tuner)

still not working..

• Yes, that button - but this will not work on all firmware versions.
    The < and > should work always - as immediately after you hold and press the buttons and then switch to tuner (before you see any boot progression bar).

Does it display anything in case you press (and hold) the system, rig or quick buttons?
    These buttons pressed during the boot sequence reset different stuff in the KPA - this will be displayed before 80% is reached.

If you get no other message then I expect that some connection cables are loose or whatever - you need to send this box back.

• I'll try with the system, rig and quick buttons but I doubt it will work, at this stage I really think is an hardware problem

thank you very much for your help Armin anyways

• Just out of curiosity:

on my unit the only thing that get lit once I turn it on is the screen, knobs & buttons are not.

Is this normal?

thanks