#13 Buy a real tube amp

• Yup.

I can't help but think a lot of the "the tone is in you hands" come from the situation where somebody is trying to EMULATE another guitarist - but that's another aspect of tone.

I think we need to define specific terms for this to clear up future discussions:

"TONE" (as in the tone control on equipment):
    what the amplifier, pedals and guitar supplies, disconnected from the playing. Other aspects could include type/size of pick, type/size of strings,etc etc.

"TOAN" (as in "that's mah TOAN!"):
    what the fingers and hands supply, disconnected from the amplifier and guitar
    - hereunder how hard you hit the strings and where you hit the string (closer to head or closer to bridge), influence of palm muting etc etc.

Then there's TECHNIQUE - vibrato, tremolo picking, whammy bar use, harmmer-ons/pull-offs etc etc - which I don't consider part of tone nor TOAN :)

:D

• I still have few tube amps and they can be great, but most of the time you have to crank 'em to get good tone, and then you have to use ear plugs which then changes sound. So I prefer Kemper.

are you talking about bedroom playing or at gig level with a drummer?

• All good points. I think of it as "physical signal chain" (brain, hands/technique, strings, wood/bridge) and "electronic signal chain" (pickups, cables, FX, amp, speaker). The point remains the same though - transport me to Woodstock and hand me Jimi's Strat, and I'll still sound nothing like Jimi. I'll sound like me playing through Jimi's gear.