Mike Britt Profiles

• Whilst I'd always liked the idea of running the KPA through the PA and removing my current traditional backline to be honest I'd not done this as I was somewhat uncomfortable with the thought.. it's hard to undo 30 years of doing something in a way that you're comfortable with :)

Having seen the positive feedback on Mike's profiles in the forum I mailed him and to my surprise he came back pretty much straight away and suggested I reconsider and try this with a cab on stage to give me a some trad feel and avoid my biggest fear - the sound engineer who just give a monkeys or doesn't know what he's doing!

Somewhat sceptical I bit the bullet and purchased Mike's packs 1 & 2 as they sounded right up my street and I plugged the KPA in this morning using a 1 x 12 in the monitor out (with cab off) and the main outs into the desk. I did my usual which was to lock off all of the FX and prepared myself for potential disappointment.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

I was initially a little concerned that there were only a limited number of profiles (in comparison) for each amp but I seem to have succumbed to the modern complaint: more = better!

I bought the Kemper for live use and these profiles left me (and the band's other guitarist) speechless. They are unbelievable.. Every one of them is just killer, and more important they all seem just about perfect at decent volume levels and feel superb to play..

So today my world changed. KPA will going through the PA and I'll be running a little insurance on stage with some personal monitoring..

Thanks Mike and thanks Kemper..

Regards,

Si

• I've got packs 1 & 2 at this point and will be buying more!

I've worked mostly on the clean stuff to start with and I just love the /13 stuff, there is a wonderful Bassman (marked Newest I recall) and the Matchless stuff is great also.

I'm diligently working through the rest over time..

To be honest I have found very few profiles that don't sound killer on first listen and with a little tweaking to suit my setup (Strat) I can't get over how good it's all starting to sound. The profiles are of course easily tweaked to suit you and your tastes/requirements.

My main issue with the Kemper is just the amount of profiles available and the time it is possible to devote to this! Since I got my KPA it has been at the detriment of my playing/practicing but it's something you've just got to go through. Once I'd had a play with Mike's stuff I deleted everything else (backed up of course) and have just focused my attention on 'really' getting to know his content. I've actually researched the source amps where I can, to understand where they are coming from and have then spent time on getting to know the profiles - just like if I actually had the amps. I took this approach as I needed to divide and conquer; I could see my life ebbing away if I didn't make a decision to narrow down my focus :)

I'm sure there are many, many amazing profiles and I know there are lots of brill commercial producers but there comes a point where you've just got to nail your colours to the mast so to speak.

Unless I really can't find what I need in Mike's stuff then I'm just not going to bother looking elsewhere as I only have so much time and I'd like to devote some of it to making music...

Regards,

Simon

• Simon, work with a few profiles for a while. There's always time to get more. Otherwise, you'll go crazy browsing to and fro! And yet, I cannot avoid prasing Mr "Guitar Player" Britt and encouraging you to try some more...in the future. For instance, the Box of Chocolates Pack is a fantastic mix of a bit of everything, not really left-overs. I 'd check it up. And then, the mini or "monographic" packs have a different approach, not the less is more tendency of the standard packs. The Vox Pack, the Tweed, the Colonial and the 69 Marshall Pack are superb. And all the others! It is true that Britt's rigs can sound a bit dark, especially with Les Pauls, but also that a lot of them become the go-to profiles of a lot of players here.

Never too old for rock'n'roll