An upgrade to let values of the functions visible

• An upgrade to let values of the functions visible all the time.

When i want to know the value of my volume, i have to turn the corresponding knob.
    When i want to know the value of my eq, it the same problem.

And when i turn the knobs to know the value, i never know if i have not modify the value.
    And it's the same problem for all parameters.

I don't understand why there are not dysplayed all the time.

• Agree 100%. Would be nice to at least have the same visual numbering format some other controls have, such as the gain. Once you turn the knob it shows the current and previous settings. Such as:

5.5 (5.6)

I suspect once you get the KPA all dialed in over time this isn't as big of a deal. But lwhen you are first starting out and trying to dial in sounds the current visual behavior of the EQ and other settings can be maddening. As the OP said, you can't even tell what the original setting was.

Sonic

• My OCD agrees - but at the same time, we never had that precise a readout of the values of the knobs on a real amp, and we may be overthinking things.

Which scenarios would this feature be relevant to? (genuine question, as I think this may help add weight to the request).

Of course, I think the rack version doesn't have the LEDs for the EQ? If so, then I can see the value for especially the rack users.

• Which scenarios would this feature be relevant to? (genuine question, as I think this may help add weight to the request).

Of course, I think the rack version doesn't have the LEDs for the EQ? If so, then I can see the value for especially the rack users.

Which scenarios? Pretty much every scenario where a user wants to tweak the tone, especially in a recording environment. A real amp does indeed reflect the current setting, whereas the KPA in many instances does not (such as EQ). In the studio, you set up a real rig and don't touch it until done tracking. But when you are initially dialing in tones you can always see where your starting points are. You can't easily do that with some of the KPA controls. I would think it should not take much work to provide both the current and altered number settings as I explained above (similar to the gain control numbering scheme). OR...here's an alternate idea that fits the current theme and would be even easier to implement: When a user starts turning the EQ dial, display the number in BOLD to reflect the last setting, and as you turn the dial the number changes and reverts to normal. If you rotate back around to the original setting the number goes back to BOLD. This way you have some kind of reference point. The specific example of how this approach would be used in actual practice is a user would slowly turn a knob (as we all do today) and the current setting would first show in BOLD - and as the user continues to rotate the number would then change value and from bold to normal.

The LED's are nice, but they are just a rough guide as they are not accurate. You can actually make the LED settings change slightly without changing the actual value. LED's are also not numbered like exist next to knobs on real amps. So at the end of the day, the LED's alone cannot be relied upon. It is the stored setting (number) inside the KPA that matters. And for rack users the situation is even more relevant because they don't have LED's at all.

• No, it's just that the number only shows changes with one decimal

Am I understanding this correctly....?......if a user turns the dial and the LED settings changes slightly, but the number stays at 0, then what is really happening is the setting has changed less than 0.05? So that the real setting AND sound alteration might be 0.04 instead of true 0? If I have this understood correctly then a person should be paying attention to any change in LED's rather than just the number.

• Am I understanding this correctly....?......if a user turns the dial and the LED settings changes slightly, but the number stays at 0, then what is really happening is the setting has changed less than 0.05? So that the real setting AND sound alteration might be 0.04 instead of true 0? If I have this understood correctly then a person should be paying attention to any change in LED's rather than just the number.

You understand it correctly yes - but I don't think it's necessary for anybody to know the setting to that detail. Your DAW likely also only shows you one decimal on your faders?

• You understand it correctly yes - but I don't think it's necessary for anybody to know the setting to that detail. Your DAW likely also only shows you one decimal on your faders?

Agreed, nobody is going to hear that granularity. The only potential scenario where this might be an issue is if some of the settings are not at true 0 and are instead "engaged" when the intent is for them not to be. I'm not sure if there might be a scenario where this could result in an audible difference or some other untended side effect.

• I don't understand why there are not dysplayed all the time.

I understand this FR. You are not the first.
    Anyway it is as it is. Need not to be understood. Prinziple the Kemper stuff know what they have done.
    I think with an editor which now seems on the horizon you will have fulfilled a lot of your wishes.
    It will come when it comes. No need to remind again and again.

• The more I think about it, the wisest solution IMO is indeed to simply make the last setting bold. It would likely require just a very tiny bit of coding effort to accomplish this, would have minimal risk, and it would leave the existing paradigms in place. But at least somebody could then turn a knob and understand what the last setting really was as they tweak a new adjustment. And this would be even further helpful for people with rack units.

Sonic

• Agreed, nobody is going to hear that granularity. The only potential scenario where this might be an issue is if some of the settings are not at true 0 and are instead "engaged" when the intent is for them not to be. I'm not sure if there might be a scenario where this could result in an audible difference or some other untended side effect.

I think there aren't any parameters where this is the case. I can't think of any, anyway.

The more I think about it, the wisest solution IMO is indeed to simply make the last setting bold. It would likely require just a very tiny bit of coding effort to accomplish this, would have minimal risk, and it would leave the existing paradigms in place. But at least somebody could then turn a knob and understand what the last setting really was as they tweak a new adjustment. And this would be even further helpful for people with rack units.

Sonic

I like this solution.

By the way, there is a workaround; you can twist the dial a good amount (so you're sure the value HAS changed) and then press the undo button while the number is displayed - then you can see the original value,

• As for reverting previous value of an EQ knob, you can always press UNDO button, which will invoke the value, before you made adjustment.

• Guys, after looking more closely on the KPA the right solution may not be to use BOLD as the highlighting mechanism. The numbers already look bold, so I'm not sure there is even another intensity available. It then occurred to me that instead brackets [ ] could be used, which would follow the existing paradigms. That might even be the preferable solution of the two.

Sonic

BTW, I hear you guys about the undo button but that can still be problematic as not only is it an extra step, but if the UNDO button is already lit from a previous tweak then it does nothing to help you determine if you've made a change to an EQ setting or not.

• My method circumvents this - read it again :)

Interesting. I recall the undo button NOT displaying the original setting. However, upon testing, as long as you press the undo button before the change is saved, then it does revert back to displaying the original value. So yes, a workaround. Although having some visual indicator of the original setting (such as bold or brackets) would be a lot more efficient and simpler. I'll have to experiment more, maybe it is that as long as you go very slow when first turning the knobs it will always show the original value first, instead of only showing a changed value.

• Quote from azertyvince

An upgrade to let values of the functions visible all the time.

Just use the editor's own readout...errr..., wait..

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user