Still ambivalent

• Dear all,

I am still somewhat ambivalent about the KPA:
    On the one hand it is a fantastic device and exactly what I wanted to have all the years. The form factor is also okay for me.
    On the other hand there are crashes where the device only recovers after a long period of time (several minutes). This is completely unacceptable for a live situation. I am not too demanding here: I can bear with a system with occasional crashes (my band is just an amateur band ;) ). But any device for live use must be available after at most a minute of recovery.
    This is currently not the case. In my opinion Kemper should have installed some sort of watchdog timer which totally resets the system when it is not live anymore.
    Note that I was a bit naive about the function of the chickenhead switch because I thought that switching it off might reset the device. It cannot, of course, because is just a soft switch: it does not physically disconnect the computer from the current supply (otherwise there would be not shutdown process when turning the KPA off).
    So the recommendation here is: when the KPA has a complete crash with a black display remaining, remove the power cord for some minutes.
    Am I especially picky or do you have similar thoughts? I understand that this device is beta, but in one year's time after NAMM11 I would have expected more stability...
    Best regards
    DrTT

• unfortunately, I have to agree in this case. I had to purchase a new one because of a total crash - the KPA did not boot anymore.
    Now, I´m fine, but I am not convinced using it live on stage since there is a really stable fw.

• Dear NF 310,
    you wrote:

Quote from NF310

unfortunately, I have to agree in this case. I had to purchase a new one because of a total crash - the KPA did not boot anymore. ...

In general one should try Armin's procedure from "KPA is toast (no more)" as a last resort before sending the device back.
    But I do not want to lose my amplifier and cabinet presets (I do not care about rigs). And when I restore a backup, some inconsistencies in the data might still be there...
    Best regards
    DrTT

• I have found that my six crashes have all resolved themselves by turning off the chicken head knob and rebooting. Fortunately I've not had to wait for more than just over a minute. I hope they can resolve this because this would still be a pain playing live, a fortiori if you have to unplug it and leave it for 20 minutes.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Dear schneidas,
    you wrote:

Quote from schneidas

On a sidenote, I hope you guys reported this directly to Kemper via their contact form

Yes, I have a mail request pending since Tuesday, but no reaction so far.
    Best regards
    DrTT

• In general one should try Armin's procedure from "KPA is toast (no more)" as a last resort before sending the device back.

No disrespect to Armin but the best practice is to open a support ticket and wait for Kemper to sort you out, which they'll do.

• I have to sympathise with those of you having problems with the software.
    Ive been very lucky. Ive never had any problems with mine since I got it a few weeks ago.
    3 gigs, several rehearsals, daily hour or so playing on it, several firmware updates, several profiles and many profiles from other users.
    Not a hitch other than that the monitor out didn't work when the unit arrived. Updated the firmware there and then, not a problem since (crosses fingers)
    Im sure the KPA ppl will have any instabilities sorted asap.

• I have to sympathise with those of you having problems with the software.
    Ive been very lucky. Ive never had any problems with mine since I got it a few weeks ago.
    3 gigs, several rehearsals, daily hour or so playing on it, several firmware updates, several profiles and many profiles from other users.
    Not a hitch other than that the monitor out didn't work when the unit arrived. Updated the firmware there and then, not a problem since (crosses fingers)
    Im sure the KPA ppl will have any instabilities sorted asap.

+1, I'm also in the lucky club. Hey, I believe we where the first ones here giggin the KPA, same day as well.. :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff