For those who have had their KPA's for a while now...

• It's funny, as I was writing this post/question I was also thinking of a second post concerning cabs that I think has a lot to do with differences between products. Long story short (IMHO) the only guitar processors (I hesitate to call everything a modeler anymore) that really come close to the nirvana of an all in one package, very realistic amp-like tone, total volume control are the AxeFX II (I've owned both and with firmware 3.5+ the II just completely out classes the generation I stuff) and now (I am assuming here because I don't have one yet) the KPA.
    To me, it's a pretty huge gap between these 2 competitors and other options. And I think so very much has to do with cab simulation. I've always said that if Avid, L6, etc... would just open up their products to allow IR loading they could dramatically increase their realism and depth in the guitar tones. Digitech GSP1101 basically did just that (even though a worker went out and refined the OS on his OWN TIME to include this functionality) and it DID make a difference. There were some limitations to what he could do with IR loading, but I saw and heard first hand how this made a dramatic change in the useability of that unit.
    As I scour over clips of AxeFX II and KPA there is definitely a difference. The II does have "something" slightly unnatural to my ears, maybe it's the compressed or crunchy high end detail? But for direct to disk recording and sitting in a mix, the II is the best that I have personally used. Through FRFR at louder volumes it's really good, but not totally exact for me; through power amp / cab I think it's great.
    But that most recent clip of XPENNO's Marshall Plexi is just incredible. I mean, it really does sound like a great amp -- warts and all -- just really sweet and detailed in all frequencies.
    So maybe Kemper's magic lies in their approach of capturing a cab (and all of the integrated components that react with that cab) in realtime?
    But the II does include an IR capture function... I wonder how many people are really utilizing that feature and I wonder how their results are coming?
    Does anyone REALLY know the differences in approaches for the cab simulation for these units?
    The II use static convolution IR's right?
    What exactly DOES the Kemper use? Some have said it's dynamic convolution, some have said that is not the case.
    I guess what I'm wondering is can the cab capture portion of the KPA be extracted and reused with different tech?
    In the future could you export a "Kemper cab" into a format that could be used (read) by other devices?

• Both the AxeFx II and the KPA are great products.
    The effects in the AxeFx are WAY more flexible then the ones in the KPA.

And I am sure Cliff will not stop with firmware5 - he added the speaker capture feature - so maybe he will add a 'amp capture' feature or a 'match eq' later - or something different.

But I am sure after the KPA hits the US marked it will be very hard to sell an AxeFx for much more money - a LOT of guitar players are only looking for a great amp/cab tone and basic effects - and that IS GREAT in the KPA.

I am not sure if I would play gigs with the KPA jet - the firmware is still very unstable (it's a public beta) - and fit's not into a rack - but on the other hand, it's a totally new product, firmare 1.0x and could be used like a little head - maybe with an optional power amp later ...

For me (in the studio) is the KPA VERY nice - I like the form factor and look very much - much more than a boring 19" rack - and it's SO convenient to use.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• We're only at the beginning of the KPA, it'll be interesting to see how firmware progresses on it. I'd hope that the profiling, the actual amp sim itself as well as the fx (and their routing possibilities) would all be improved considerably during it's production lifetime.

Who knows, maybe that little Kemper poweramp slot might be able to do a lot more than just take an output signal, they may be able to offer modules with additional functionality and processing power to keep the product going a lot longer than the usual box of tricks. Here's hoping that they were thinking this far ahead with that.

It's equally exciting to see what's happening with the AxeFX and where that goes too, Cliff is a clever fellah and I'm sure he's got plenty of big plans. It's awesome to see both developers really listening and responding to their user bases so quickly with rapid updates and tangible improvements.

• i think the kemper response is quite low at the moment. it's all bug fixing... things that shouldn't be in the first place... we will see if any user inputs will be implemented

• Yes, there is no software without bugs.
    The most important thing for the KPA is:
    1) Fix the bugs, make it stable
    2) Add the not available features (Performace mode, undo, redo)
    3) Add the most needed features (Spring Reverb, Pitch Effect, tonestack switchable pre amp, delay in stomp box slots)
    4) Then ask for user input

The AxeFx is at step 4
    KPA at step 1

But hey, Cliff is only one person - the Kemper stuff are much more - and they created the Virus - I am sure it will not take to long until we reach step 4 as well.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Yes, but in terms of "fidelity & soul", the KPA is at step 6 and the Axe-FX is at step 3.

• i think the kemper response is quite low at the moment. it's all bug fixing... things that shouldn't be in the first place... we will see if any user inputs will be implemented

What do you expect?The KPA has been launched not even a month ago! To be perfectly honest (and I don't mean to sound polemic or what so ever)I've always receive responsive feedback form their support.

• What do you expect?The KPA has been launched not even a month ago! To be perfectly honest (and I don't mean to sound polemic or what so ever)I've always receive responsive feedback form their support.

Me too.
    The other thing is , having tried the axefx2 and the KPA together for a couple of weeks there is quite a difference between both units in the sound/ feel department, in favour of the KPA. I haven't heard from anyone who has tried both units who has said otherwise.