Scarlett/Focusrite 6i6 mk2 - help needed

• Hi,

I quite recently got a Focusrite/Scarlett 6i6 mk2, as my old sound had no SPDIF and was going out of support. The 6i6 seems nice enough but the software is kinda driving me crazy... it's a version called Focusrite Control and most (if not all) guides are for another version with fancier graphics. So, I am obviously missing something here, eventhough I have gone through the manual at least 2 times and tried all the presets. So this is what I want to do:

Kemper ->SPDIF into soundcard ->Computer/Cubase to record
    Cubase ->LineOutputs ->Monitors

...and hear what I am playing at the same time as I hear what is allready recorded previously. Now, there might be one thing that messes things up for... I read somewhere that if you have this setup in the right way, you should not have the "monitor" button in the track in Cubase activated, as you should be able to hear the sound anyways and with less latency. If that's right then I am certainly missing something, cus I either hear the guitar or I hear what is recorded.

So anyone gotta clue? If it's easy as that I SHOULD have the monitor activated on the recorded channel then, ok. Problem fixed. Otherwise - still confused. ?(

Hope someone has the awful Focusrite Control setup correctly and can help me... :saint:

• Hi Hellpig,

We have a similar setup. The way I am connected to the interface is both via analog inputs and also the SPDIF input.

Accordingly, what I am hearing (when input monitoring is off in my DAW) while recording is the sound that comes from the analog inputs. However the input in my DAW is set to the SPDIF so what I am recording (although not hearing while input monitoring is off) comes through the SPDIF connection.

This might not be the correct way to set it up but works okay for me.

Hope this is helpful.

Alaz

• The connections are fine @Hellpig

In your control software for Focusrite interface choose Zero Latency Tracking:

[Blocked Image: https://s7.postimg.org/ew5vnz5ob/aaa.png]

That way ("Zero Latency Tracking"), you will be hearing yourself play straight form Kemper through Focusrite Scarlett to your line outputs (to monitors/speakers) without your signal using USB bus. In other words "Zero latency tracking" works also when your PC/Mac is off.

The "Monitor" icon on Cubase track allows you to hear what you record on actual track. This may come with little delay, since signal goes from your soundcard through USB bus to your DAW and the from DAW to your soundcard (to speakers).

You can use "Zero Latency Tracking" for example to play along to backing tracks from YouTube. Setup your favorite rig in Kemper, play backing track and now you can play along what comes "out of your computer".

When you want to record in Cubase and hear yourself, then you may use "DAW Tracking" setting. Then you won't hear your Kemper until you press "Monitor" icon in Cubase.

Did it help?

• Hi @Hellpig,

Focusrite Control has replaced Mix Control on our newer interfaces, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some problems getting to grips with it.

The 'Mixing and Routing' tab allows you to determine what you'll hear through each output on your 6i6. I would suggest that you set your monitor outputs to 'Custom Mix', then create a Mix containing "Playback 1-2" (the output from Cubase) and "SPDIF 1-2" (the signal from your Kemper). You'll then hear your Cubase session, as well as hearing the signal from the Kemper (even without having Cubase open).

You can then create an audio track to record to in Cubase and select the SPDIF inputs, then mute this track (or don't enable input monitoring) to avoid hearing the signal twice (it will still be recorded).

I've attached a screenshot showing this, the screenshot was made using a Red 8Pre interface so there are a few options that won't appear in your version.

I hope this helps, if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us directly: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
    Jack // Focusrite Technical Support

• Hi Jack,

while I have you here, could you kindly inform me about this:
    *The 2nd gen 18i8 Scarlett I'm using at home has problems connecting to *any* S/PDif device when the input source is set to S/Pdif (the device being connected as the master clock source).
    You get audio pops every now and then, no matter what setting on the Buffer.
    I'm using a fairly strong AMD-based machine at 4.5Ghz (8-core) and 16 GB of DDR-3 2400Mhz Ram - Win10 Pro 64Bit - all drivers and M/B Bios up to date etc. and still get audio pops.
    I've tried connecting the KPA as the Master via S/Pdif, but it has random pops. First I thought the problem was the KPA but I did a test with an old Johnson J-Station, and a Pod X3... all have the same random pops - even in idle.

Is that a known problem or do I just have a bad Scarlett? Is there any new driver or firmware update from Focusrite to fix this in the works?

Thank you.
    RG

• @RookGarner,

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your 18i8. We're not aware of any SPDIF-related issues with the 18i8 so we're not working on any firmware to 'fix' anything, as far as I'm aware.

This sounds like some further troubleshooting will be needed in order to get to the root of the issue. Forums aren't a great place for that, it would be best if you could open a support request with us so that we can get some more information from you: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
    Jack

• Thanks Lads, my PC is tuned to super-high performance. Core parking, all power saving features etc. all disabled.
    My 8-core CPU runs OC'd at 4.5Ghz even when in idle. Even my RAM and M/B operating Mhz are OC'd.
    I'm a tinkerer with PC's, so all is optimally configured. I have pretty bad OCD regarding the configuration and system settings on my PC systems - so I always set these to squeeze out every bit of power.
    I wonder what the "Audio Processing" power plan should do different than what I have manually configured for 100% full system performance at all times.
    And to complicate matters further, I previously had the 1st gen Focusrite cards (18i8) and I did not have these pops/ticks back then.

FWIW, I have e-mailed Focusrite support - will let you know how it goes.

• Although 1gen interface, there is something related to AMD cpus.

https://support.focusrite.com/…that-has-an-AMD-processor

Are you connected to USB3 @RookGarner ?

Edit

Another reads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/63844…ing-clicking-with-usb-dac

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044

Some people succeeded with PCI(x) USB card or powered USB hub.

Edited once, last by skoczy ().

• Although 1gen interface, there is something related to AMD cpus.
    https://support.focusrite.com/…that-has-an-AMD-processor

Are you connected to USB3 @RookGarner ?

I tried all USB ports in the rear of my M/B and even the front-sided ports. They are all USB2.0 or 3.0. Made no difference however.
    Still getting random ticks every now and then.

Funny though, even though it mentions gen1 problems with AMD based chipsets. My Gen1 Scarlett worked fine with the same system. I guess I should have just left well enough alone. Darn GAS! :)

• I wonder what the "Audio Processing" power plan should do different than what I have manually configured for 100% full system performance at all times.

I cannot understand why you don't just try it, it's free :P It has helped a lot of people with powerful computers (my friend with amd had this problem with 2nd gen too and fixed it with this guide) ;) And i don't think it has to do with how powerful a computer is.

• I cannot understand why you don't just try it, it's free :P It has helped a lot of people with powerful computers ;) And i don't think it has to do with how powerful a computer is.

Your right laddie! Just don't like messing with something that otherwise runs perfectly and smoothly. Darn OCD!
    Ok, this old geezer will try it tonight and report back :)

• Your right laddie! Just don't like messing with something that otherwise runs perfectly and smoothly. Darn OCD!Ok, this old geezer will try it tonight and report back :)

I can totally understand you, i have other serious OCDs myself. This guide just creates a custom power plan which is selectable, so you can revert. Maybe you could check the settings of this power plan one by one by yourself to see the different settings that made the problem disappear, if it does.

• Ok, this has left me more than puzzled.
    It appears, this magic "Audio Processing" power plan works.

After testing for nearly a week, I have yet to come across any random pops.
    I've even decreased the buffer samples to 16 - no more random pops or cracks.

So, yes, it appears to be working and curing the problems with the Scarlett...

• Ok, this has left me more than puzzled.
    It appears, this magic "Audio Processing" power plan works.

After testing for nearly a week, I have yet to come across any random pops.
    I've even decreased the buffer samples to 16 - no more random pops or cracks.

So, yes, it appears to be working and curing the problems with the Scarlett...

Woohoo!

Like I said in similar thread, you could try and compare the settings of this power plan which works for you with this one which generates pops and clicks @RookGarner

This screenshot is in Polish laguage, but you find similar applet when you go to Power Options in Windows 10 - I would play with everything enegry saving related thing here and USB off course:

[Blocked Image: https://s24.postimg.org/60beno1vp/aass.jpg]

You can also let know Focusrite support that you got rid of clicks as of now, thanks to this power plan.

• Sorry to hijack this thread but there appear to be some people who have more knowledge on issues with the focusrite 6i6 than me!

So here is my issue. I bought a brand new focusrite 6i6 to take advantage of the spdif and midi capabilities. i installed the software from the website (bundles etc ) and the software asked me to restart my macby (macbook pro is a 2016/2017 macbook pro with touch bar on high sierra). this is where the problem starts.
    basically the issue is that the macbook pro restarts until if gets to the login screen. after login the white progress bar basically hangs around 75% of the way. nothing seems to work to get it to boot into the operating system. it clearly a problem with the focurite software and there is some info on this on their website https://support.focusrite.com/…atible-with-macOS-Sierra-. about this problem. the solution provided suggest you remove the software but the issue is i can't even get past the login screen as it hangs. i can't boot into safe mode for some reason also.

A last resort is to completely rebuild my mac which i am very reluctant to do. I've contacted focus rite via Facebook and waiting for a reply.

does anyone have any ideas ? thanks