Kemper vs. Real Amp Test - Cameron CCV

• As usual, the differences we talk about.

I agree, even if this video was shot prior to improvements, the core problems some of us have been raising remain. That congested, raspy nature of the tone as compared to the real amp. There's also seems to be some strange hair/fizz on the top end (that may all be part of the rasp effect, who knows)

I can tolerate the congested aspect more than the gain "texture" issue since to me this is what makes the KPA sound less real than it otherwise would. I usually find myself have to play around with post EQ to try and correct these issues to an extent.

• I agree, even if this video was shot prior to improvements, the core problems some of us have been raising remain. That congested, raspy nature of the tone as compared to the real amp. There's also seems to be some strange hair/fizz on the top end (that may all be part of the rasp effect, who knows)
    I can tolerate the congested aspect more than the gain "texture" issue since to me this is what makes the KPA sound less real than it otherwise would. I usually find myself have to play around with post EQ to try and correct these issues to an extent.

It's what I recently talked about with commercial seller. That is his struggle with profiling as well. How do you tweak eq to minimize the issues you are having, sonic?

Cheerios

• It's what I recently talked about with commercial seller. That is his struggle with profiling as well. How do you tweak eq to minimize the issues you are having, sonic?
    Cheerios

You need to do various types of EQ shelving, notching and/or twisting. It really depends on the profile. I can't give a specific formula other than to say some of the congestion can be addressed in the midrange 1K-ish area (give or take 500hz) and the fizz can sometimes be shelved or notched to reduce, but for difficult profiles sometimes you have to do some twisting (postiive and negative notch very near each other).

All this is a royal pain in the arse that I wish Kemper would fix because we shouldn't have to be doing this. There is definitely something not right going on in the KPA. As soon as I have a chance I think I'm going to get one of my amps out of storage and bring it home just for the purpose of some testing to see if I can figure out more about what the heck is going on. I won't be able to blast anything and won't have access to the miic's & pre's I'm used to, but maybe I can at least glean more about what's going on. And at a minimum I'll be able to establish with certainty if indeed the KPA can replicate an amp or not. Every time I mention these issues it never fails that some folks chime in and say it's because I'm not profiling my own amp. Well, I'm going to put a fork in that excuse pretty soon as I'll be able to see first hand if that actually solves the issues or not. I think we know what the result is likely to be, but I'm going to stay optimistic and keep hoping anyway...

• @SonicExporer

Ah, I thought you were doing so internally to kemper. I agree that these are usually problematic frequencies, somewhere there. It's interesting you can note these even without yet profiling your own amps, as that's where I think the "kpa tone" lives in at large.

Sometimes the effect is less noticeable if you profile an amp that naturally has less of such characteristics. But then A/B play with the amp and you hear the difference there too, I find.

I hope profiling works well for you, good luck!

• Still You think its "spot on"? :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stay Metal!

Either the guy didn't profile correctly, this is absurd .. I've profiled my amps over 200 X and its almost spot on!

I hear little variations in the low end but nothing way off like in this example . that doesn't even sound like the same amp !!!

Are you saying all your profiles are that off ???

• Either the guy didn't profile correctly, this is absurd .. I've profiled my amps over 200 X and its almost spot on!
    I hear little variations in the low end but nothing way off like in this example . that doesn't even sound like the same amp !!!

Are you saying all your profiles are that off ???

Hi Kris,

See my earlier comments in post #858, which also contains the complete video.

Cheers,
    John

• Are you saying all your profiles are that off ???

Posted many comparison before about "kemper vs real amp" sounds. But ok... another one from today: SLO100 Clone Amp (love this Amp :D ) Hesu 4x12 Cab this time G12H speaker and AT4040 mic. As always single track and quadtracked guitars in the mix.

link removed (you need to post to the commercial profiles section if you want to advertise for your offerings)

Stay Metal!

• This is Are you saying all your profiles are that off ???

Posted many comparison before about "kemper vs real amp" sounds. But ok... another one from today: SLO100 Clone Amp (love this Amp :D ) Hesu 4x12 Cab this time G12H speaker and AT4040 mic. As always single track and quadtracked guitars in the mix.
    link removed (you need to post to the commercial profiles section if you want to advertise for your offerings)

Stay Metal!

This is way too easy to "guess" @sinmix :D

• If you'd make a blind test, with volumes match super well, with transitions super fluid, all in one clip, not telling people where changes are.. it would very hard to tell for most people.

But again so would be my gibson vs my wilkinson pickup.

I appreciate how close kemper gets. Is it totally the same? No.

Do I prefer real amps, tonally, but mostly in terms of what this means for "feel!? Hell yea.

Do many prefer kemper tone? Yes, that too.

Does the audience, at least most of it, care? No (not that they care if I'm using a fishman fluence modern over an EMG 81).

• Very short clip I did with bias amp matching a well-known kemper profile.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bias has a bit less gain -- I didn't play with the amp parameters. But could easily get it closer had I put more time in it.

@sinmix: I've been doing the same with some of your profiles. Getting quite close. Not gonna share them, just saying.

But point is, especially when I can indeed get very close, I still see nuances being different. Fo sho.

And for this reason can understand someone going kemper over bias (or the other way around, for that matter) even if we have a tone that is indescribable in "super blind, volume matched, not saying where amps change" tests.

-- there are many other reasons to chose one over the other, of course, as well --

Again, does audience care? Nope. Can guitarists playing through one device or another care? Of course.

Is it a "rational" care, of course, one may ask, considering how close things are these days -- I think partly yes.

• link removed (you need to post to the commercial profiles section if you want to advertise for your offerings)

Really?

[Blocked Image: https://media1.giphy.com/media/GfAD7Bl016Gfm/giphy.gif]

So how I can post Comparison? I know not best Thread for Kemper team but Hey.... You can remove my description if You think that i'm trying to advertise in this thread but link to samples? named SampleA SampleB etc... <X Or maybe better give me another Ban for next 2 weeks will be faster! WTF!

Stay Metal!

• I think it's pretty clear your post wasn't an "advertisement" to sell profiles.... I downloaded the files, listened in my daw. Came back. Voila. Link gone.

• Really?
    [Blocked Image: https://media1.giphy.com/media/GfAD7Bl016Gfm/giphy.gif]

So how I can post Comparison? I know not best Thread for Kemper team but Hey.... You can remove my description if You think that i'm trying to advertise in this thread but link to samples? named SampleA SampleB etc... <X Or maybe better give me another Ban for next 2 weeks will be faster! WTF!

Stay Metal!

I think you jump to conclusions very quickly without giving them the benefit of the doubt. Did you consider that they might have accidentally thought you were advertising since you are a commercial seller? Did you ask them or tell them they made a mistake?

I've read many posts and threads that would seem much worse than this thread and nothing was removed, my guess is that this was a mistake, but what confuses me more is that, you're a commercial seller and you seem to advocate that Kemper isn't good at duplicating the amps that are profiled. Is this your way of marketing and advertising :D ? or you still haven't figured out what many KPA users figured out on day one where the profile is exactly the same as the amp, (I've seen countless demonstration of how accurate the Kemper is). Did you ever try to contact customer support maybe they can help get more accurate profiles ?( ?

• I think the fact Sinmix is a commercial seller and yet still rightly critiques the KPA for it's tonal shortcomings speaks volumes to his integrity for tone, and also as a person. How anybody could actually distort that into being a negative attribute is beyond me.

With the KPA, there is congestion, there is rasp, there is thin solo notes. No matter how many times fanboys try to deflect otherwise, it does not change these facts. Some profiles more than others, some people not bothered by it, others very much so. To my knowledge, support has not provided any profiling or refining guidance beyond what is in the manuals.

• I trust sinmix for conducting tests and making these public. I've also had other seller "confess" to me in private about these same differences. But they would not do it publicly. It just makes sinmix more credible to me than many. In fact, he probably has more of a chance to get better tones, being aware of such differences. Some cannot tell the difference and they also profile commercially. So I am more inclined to go the sinmix route, considering this serves as evidence about him paying attention to details when it comes to tone.

Edited 2 times, last by Dimi84 ().

• I think you jump to conclusions very quickly without giving them the benefit of the doubt. Did you consider that they might have accidentally thought you were advertising since you are a commercial seller? Did you ask them or tell them they made a mistake?

I've read many posts and threads that would seem much worse than this thread and nothing was removed, my guess is that this was a mistake, but what confuses me more is that, you're a commercial seller and you seem to advocate that Kemper isn't good at duplicating the amps that are profiled. Is this your way of marketing and advertising ? or you still haven't figured out what many KPA users figured out on day one where the profile is exactly the same as the amp, (I've seen countless demonstration of how accurate the Kemper is). Did you ever try to contact customer support maybe they can help get more accurate profiles ?

Really Man dont know what to say more. You don't listen! So maybe look :D

Stay Metal!