Running 2 kempers - Need your advice guys (please)

• Guys just got the second Kemper and Remote(saved up for ever man) , as i need 2 amps sounds. (pic attached)
    The first kemper is a toaster i am running it through a Gemini 2 Stereo 2x12 FRFR (killer) out of the main output's
    (pic attached)

The second Kemper is the rack version and remote,(pic attached)
    Dont worry i have big feet and can operate 2 remotes :D

I want to run the 2nd kemper the same as the first with a second Gemini 2 Stereo 2x12 FRFR into the man outs.
    - This will mean ill have 2 amps with a 4X12 sound in Stereo. (My Dream set up) :rolleyes:8o

Now do i just use an ABY switch ?? How do you guys recommend to run the second?
    If its an ABY switch can you recommend a high end one??

Thanks guys sorry if its an obvious one.
    I would really appreciate some advice if any one has any

My Feet are really that big and can reach the remotes lol

Ash

• Is any one here running 2 kempers?
    I am just assuming that an ABY switch is the easiest way to go
    (KISS principle)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Thanks Brother, just thought i would check,
    i cant decide which is the best ABY switch (never used one before)
    looks like the only high end ones ? i can find are
    http://www.radialeng.com/bigshotaby.php
    http://deluxeguitars.com.au/radial-twin-city-aby.html

+
    http://deluxeguitars.com.au/fulltone-true-path-aby.html
    (looks like the ducks nuts)

Ill do a good demo when its set up.
    If any once knows a good high end ABY switch please let me know :)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Congrats, Ash! Awesome, man! 8o

If you can decide which Kemper you'll always be switching on (not even sure if this matters with the suggestion I'm about to make), plug guitars into that one, and take the DI out, set to "Analogue" or whatever it's called (NOT the "Studio" option), and run that to the 2nd Kemper.

Theoretically, your signal should remain untouched through the Kemper when set this way, as, unlike with the "Studio" setting, no A/D, D/A or processing or any sort is involved, which is great 'cause it means, apart from anything else, that in this case your levels should be identical at the inputs of both units. I hope I've got this right...

EDIT: I thought I was first to respond. Been doing the wah-settings thread update and left the page open.

My priority was to question whether or not you even need to spend any more money, Ash.

• Thanks Brother i am really stuck if you cant half tell :)
    Dont know which one to get
    http://tonereport.com/blogs/to…for-your-routing-pleasure

So your saying leave the ABY switch out and plug both kempers into each other?
    I Have not even had a beer yet and i am already confused lol

Remember this Monkey really is a Monkey

Ash

• Hey, you could have a dozen German brewskis and still get this right, man:

Plug a 1/4" jack lead into the "Direct Output / Send" of the first Kemper. Take it from there to the front input of the second Kemper. Done!

Now you've taken a direct split of the guitar signal to the second unit. The only possible "gotcha", AFAIK, and I don't know much, is what I suggested earlier - to make sure the DI / Direct output sends a perfect copy of the guitar and not a pumped-up version, which the "Git Studio" setting in the Output-settings' DIRECT OUTPUT options would give. That's 'cause it digitises, amplifies (level boost for patching convenience for those recording DI without a DI to boost the level) and then converts back to analogue, the guitar signal. As long as you make sure that the "Git Analog" setting is active, it'll be a straight copy of your guitar, man. Beer or no beer.

:thumbup:

OK, from the manual:

DIRECT OUTPUT setting:

Git Analog
    The pure and clean instrument signal is sent to the DIRECT OUTPUT by an analog splitter, no AD/DA conversion is taking place. The analog signal level is the same as on the instrument input. Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel.

• Edit it scares me how smart Monkey is some times. :D
    Whoa so that means plug them both into each other
    and they will still run 2 mission cabs and be stereo each cab???

Thanks guys, its really a big help, so if one kemper is mounting another :)
    Thats still going to be Stereo right, i am sure it has to be right...
    I still gotta buy a second mission Cab for the second kemper
    Yep you wont convince me there is a better cab ATM...

Ash

• Yeah, it should work great, Ash.

I mean, the manual backed me up (amazingly!). Note the highlighted bits:

Git Analog
    The pure and clean instrument signal is sent to the DIRECT OUTPUT by an analog splitter, no AD/DA conversion is taking place. The analog signal level is the same as on the instrument input. Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel.

• Nicky is very underrated... especially for a Monkey.
    I am glad i am related to Nicky with monkey related DNA
    (thanks brother, ill try it)

Ash

• And Nicky, i got a pressie to send down too..let me mess with this set up first, just PM me the address brother (please)
    its a thank you K :)

Ash

• You should have gone with a voodoo labs ground control and GCX, then you would only need to step on one button to switch both units rigs as well as which one or both are active.

• That is a much better solution, Nicky, and one that won't require any spending.

The only thing with this trick is that in order to control both Kempers, you will have to click mute on one Remote while simultaneously unmuting the other Remote.

This could get complex in a live situation. With an ABY, you just hit one stomp to use one amp and hit the other to activate the other while muting the first one.

• Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys i am going to try ALL of them :)
    Sounds like i can get it started at home the Nicky way until getting an ABY thingy.

Yep gotta operate 2 remotes...after all we have ten toes right? :D
    I need more feet to operate the morph pedals and volume switches tho lol

Ash

• Yeah, I meant that I think the kemper A itself can send midi messages when it receives a signal from the remote?

It can only send PC# and that too from 0-127. I have a feeling that if you are dedicating performance slots to blank rigs in order to mute either Kemper when desired, your control will come to an abrupt halt after performance 26-2 or 3.