Mission Engineering Gemini 2 Volume vs Friedman ASM-12

• sure no prob I posted the vid because some one said they doubt the Gemini would be loud enough

I wrote that, but that was under the assumption that the ASM-12 actually performs in accordance with its specified RMS-wattage. Personally I'm happy with a Dynacord monitor (preferably a pair) that is rated 5W below the ASM-12.

• He finally got back to me today, he gave no explanation as to why my Studio Monitors (90 Watts) and my Suhr Badger 35 (35 Tube Watts) drown out the ASM-12, he just said that the ASM holds its own against a typical 100 watt amp (BE-100). I haven't even responded to him yet, and frankly, think it would be a waste of time. He did reveal that his rating of "500 Watts" is not truly accurate, as it is based on the max output at clipping rather than continuous RMS Rating, which that alone considering the company and its reputation is off putting to say the least. Reputable audio based companies only publish continuous RMS rating.

I'm just not sure what to think about him and his company at this point. There is no question he makes some outstanding amps, but IMHO, he did not even come close to that with the ASM 12, only from an output perspective, as the sound is fantastic. Is he in denial, am I about of my mind, is he protecting his company by not admitting a fault in his product, or something else, who knows.

I will be selling mine at some point, and buying the Mission 2 stereo cab.

• you won't regret the misson Barry and I think you were more than tolerant , there is no doubt he is in denial

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Seems like a typical 'political-style' answer to me.
    Ignore the problem at hand and answer with a generalization.

Sorry, but that really is a no go for me, I'm really sorry for your situation, Barry!
    Needless to say he won't be getting any of my money with that kind of customer support...

• Just discovering this thread. I also had an ASM-12 and thought it was complete garbage. That handle location was truly idiotic, and the tolex would scratch up just by looking at it wrong. I only played 2 shows with it and don't see how it could have ever survived a tour. I did rehearse with it a lot, and it was very under powered to my ears. I still had to hook up a DI to the PA system in rehearsal to compete with the drummer and the rest of the band because it wasn't loud and full enough on its own.

Needless to say, I sold it and got a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and used my 2x12 Avatar cab as my stage and rehearsal volume. I did get some time to A/B the two setups. I know it's not fair to compare a 2x12 cab to a 1x12 cab with a tweeter, but the 170 watt Powerstage and Avatar 2x12 cab completely destroyed the 500 watt Friedman ASM in volume and fullness.

I've since purchased a Laney FR-112. While I haven't rehearsed with it thanks to Covid, I think it sounds a million times better than the Friedman at a fraction of the price. Friedman makes some great products, but the ASM-12 is not one of them.

• That handle location was truly idiotic, and the tolex would scratch up just by looking at it wrong...
    I've since purchased a Laney FR-112. While I haven't rehearsed with it thanks to Covid, I think it sounds a million times better than the Friedman at a fraction of the price. Friedman makes some great products, but the ASM-12 is not one of them.

My ASM-12 is currently relegated to backup rehearsal monitor. I thought it sounded "okay" but was very tough to gig with due to bad ergonomics and weight. Started used the Atomic CLR and Valvetrain. Both sound good and easy to haul around.

'19 Relish Eucalypt Mary | '17 PRS McCarty 594 | '15 PRS 408 | '96 PRS Custom 22 | '78 Les Paul Custom | '19 Silver Sky

Kemper Toaster | Rack | Remote

Friedman ASM-12 | Atomic CLR Neo Mk II Wedge | ValveTrain Powertrain Studio 20

• The 1st thing I would do is in the Kemper pre profile increase the amps volume. Many profiles vary in the output.

These units are suuuuuper loud. Something is wrong. Good reminder to buy through Sweetwater or similar who will take care of your return shipping and provide excellent service!