MIDI-clock for setting the KPA tempo is not stable

• Good morning everyone,

yesterday I tried to synchronise the Kemper tempo to my song tempo in cubase using the cubase midi Clock via midi out from the DAW to the midi in of my kemper.
    What can I say, the kemper reacts to the signal (I checked the sync in the perfomance where you can set the tempo manually) but the tempo jumps around in weird way.
    Is anyone experience with that, or had a similar behavior?

Cubase Settings:
    - Project Synchronization Dialog
    - Timecode Source: "internal Timecode"
    - MIDI Clock Destination: "Soundcard MIDI Out"
    - checked: "MIDI Clock Follows Project Position"

Cable from Soundcard MIDI Out to Kemper MIDI In.
    Kemper runs at MIDI Channel 10
    Sending CC messages from the DAW works as expected (tested with slot changes).

I tried different configurations and cables, nothing changed.
    Looking forward for your answeres.

• I've checked it and the same for me! Tempo on the KPA is very unstable. If cubase tempo is set to 120 bpm the KPA tempo varies around 120 bpm but sometimes 80 or 140 and tempo's in between. I tried different cubase settings but without succes....... I don't know If this is a mismatch between cubase and KPA?

• I got the following answere from the support team:

[...]
    the profiler shows the MIDI Clock tempo recieved on the MIDI In port. It depends on the software and the midi interface how much the value fluctuates.
    A stable MIDI Clock is generated from standalone devices like drum computers or hardware sequencer.
    [...]
    The profiler has no built in functionality to stabilise the recieved MIDI Clock signal.
    [...]

Means for me:
    the hope to get this fixed in an easy way disappears

• I've checked it and the same for me! Tempo on the KPA is very unstable. If cubase tempo is set to 120 bpm the KPA tempo varies around 120 bpm but sometimes 80 or 140 and tempo's in between. I tried different cubase settings but without succes....... I don't know If this is a mismatch between cubase and KPA?

from my experience that means that your MIDI interface doesn't send out events in an accurate fashion. if the tempo jumps around this can either indicate that clock events are clustered or get lost.

I find that the Kemper's internal clock is not stable. I have the option to show the bpm on my pedal board and with the Kemper, the value jumps all over the place. Quite sad. I think it doesn't even work if you feed it an external clock, the tempo doesn't stay constant.

which is unrelated because the clock generated by your Profiler is not wha's being discussed in here. i've measured the clock output and it seems accurate and fine. feel free to open a support ticket.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• from my experience that means that your MIDI interface doesn't send out events in an accurate fashion. if the tempo jumps around this can either indicate that clock events are clustered or get lost.

which is unrelated because the clock generated by your Profiler is not wha's being discussed in here. i've measured the clock output and it seems accurate and fine. feel free to open a support ticket.

I don't think so. If I make the same connections to my Eventide or lexicon tempo on these devices is stable.

• from my experience that means that your MIDI interface doesn't send out events in an accurate fashion. if the tempo jumps around this can either indicate that clock events are clustered or get lost.

Hey G-String, I'll definitely contact support. I'll also post a video demonstrating what I think is a lot of jitter. Late out here, so I'll do it tomorrow.

• The KPA Tempo definitely jumps around, when receiving a constant MIDI-Clock! I posted this some time ago and its easy to blame it on the sending-device!
    I checked the Midi-Clock, which is sent by my Macbook pro (RME Fireface, Logic). It was exactly constant and smooth (checked it with a midi-monitor), all devices i own received it correctly. The Tempo in the KPA jumped around between 118 and 122 all the time when set to 120 and some peaks between 80 and 130.

When using delays, you always hear these tempo-changes.

This way I can´t use the Midi-Clock to set the KPA-Tempo.

By the way: Tapping Tempo with the remote also don´t work correctly and reliable - in performance mode.

I opened a ticket and posted this (video included):
    Tap Tempo not working correctly

No answer or fix till now :(

Martin

• I'm experiencing the same thing, but with ProTools... was there ever a resolution to this or is it impossible to use the Kemper to record/sync properly? It'd be great if someone from Kemper responded......

Alex

• If you are getting program changes from a DAW, then it is fairly easy to just write a new rig for each delay change. I have something like 100 rigs for live use and it is a reliable way to get not just the delay time, but a feedback that suits the part too.

It is worth having some basic sounds in the first few rigs in case midi fails.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I'm using Logic and RME Ufx in a studio, not live and this midi beat clock issue obviously still exists. The Kemper shows the tempo drifting by tenths of one bpm, so it's close but not quite. It will then stabilize on the right tempo for a little while and then start drifting again.

Do I need to start a support ticket or is this a known issue that may get fixed?

These profiles go to 11!

• I'm using Logic and RME Ufx in a studio, not live and this midi beat clock issue obviously still exists. The Kemper shows the tempo drifting by tenths of one bpm, so it's close but not quite. It will then stabilize on the right tempo for a little while and then start drifting again.

Do I need to start a support ticket or is this a known issue that may get fixed?

Yes, I think you should. I can share my details too (on Friday when I get home). I'd love to know how they are planning on fixing this... if, at all...

Alex

• Well it's strange for sure since I've been using midi beat clock forever to sync my Virus C of all things.
    I'm also not sure why I can't use beat clock over usb since the Kemper is already hooked up through that.

I'm getting the same result using the RME's midi out and also my MOTU Mtp AV.
    What's also strange is that if I enable the Lock Tempo function, the tempo still changes when it receives beat clock. Seems like lock should work regardless.

These profiles go to 11!

• I am experiencing the same thing... BPM drifts and will not stabilize to a whole number BPM ( 97bpm ) for example it will remain on 97.2

I will try from other devices as well but I doubt their claims that it is the DAW sending irrelevant clock data since all my other devices sync just fine.

• Still won't work with Logic Pro X. Does really strange things to the delays... sometimes making it sound like super fast slap-back all phasey etc.

Not being able to get this working is messing up my plans for how I wanted to record w/ the great FX.

BTW when I have any midi cable plugged in (midi in) from testing this... the TAP & Beat Scanner don't work. Is that normal too?