Camplifier vs. Ambrosi

• Hello guys!

I recently purchased a yamaha DXR-12 which I'm not very happy with. I'm going to send it back to thomann. 1st idea was to get a DXR-10 instead, but I'm not pretty sure it's gonna be my cup of tea either, so I'm thinking about getting one of those fancy lil SS amps to fit in the back of my toaster, so I can plug to whatever 'normal' cabinet I run into, and also a passive FRFR eventually. I already have a 4x10 in my rehearsal room but I don't want to carry that big guy around, so maybe one of those 1x12 palmers can do the job when gigging.

So, before I pull the trigger I wanted to do a lil research; I found plenty of info about the Camplfier line in their website, but not much about the Ambrosis... Seems that @viabcroce quit being the representative of Ambrosi in the forum (actually I reckon he even quit posting in the forum); so do any of you know if that small company is still working? do they keep on making those amps? Any website? Prices? Anyone interested on selling theirs? :D

On the other hand, are these guys (both the ambrosi and the camplifier) able to get LOUD on, say, a 4x12?

Last but not least... After a look on the back of the camplifier I noticed they've only got speakon outputs... Anyone knows if they include a speakon to jack cable to feed the cab? If so, how long is it?

Thanks a lot, lads!

• Ambrosi Amp:
    I don't think it has enough headroom (Watts) to play LOUD. Apart from this I think Ambrosi Amps aren't built anymore.

Camplifier:
    The Camplifier 180 and the Camplifier 360 can't be used on 4Ohms cabs. Also keep in mind that using the Camplifier in Stereo mode (using both amp channels) is a bit tricky. The Kemper only provides one output (Monitor Out) where you can disable the cab sim while it's still active on the Main Outs (for going direct to PA). So in this scenario you would have to use a Y-cable to send the Monitor Out to both channels of a stereo Camplifier.
    With the Camplifier you can run actual "stereo" only if you either connect FRFR speakers or switch off the cab block / use direct profiles ... and don't go direct to FOH / PA.
    Once you've fully understood the limitations / requirements of the Camplifier, it should be loud enough.

Hope this helps.

• @sercho,

I have the Camplifier 180 installed in mine. Yes it can drive a 4x12 faily loud (8ohms minimal load), but even though it is 180W, it gets nowhere as loud as say a 50W or 100W tube amp... and you don't quite get the punch a tube amp produces.

That being said, it is a great option that has served me well. Never regretted this purchase.

As @lightbox mentions, the speakon jack is indeed a combo output.

• Thanks, lightbox!

I guess if I want to do it like this, I'm gonna have to stick to the Camplifier. No problems about 4-Ohm cabs. I don't have in mind a stereo model either, so that's not a problem for me.

That's valuable information for me, @bigb6611, thank you!

I am counting on the lack of punch compared to my JCM800 for example... but I think I could live without it.
    One question for you, bigb: did you get yours with the volume knob? I guess when there's not volume knob, the thing delivers max power all the time?

Thank you!

• I got my Camplifier 360 with volume knob cause I didn't want to link the Kemper's MASTER VOLUME knob to the Monitor Out only (can use it for different purpose).

Using a Y-cable from Monitor Out to both channels of my Camplifier 360 and using the stereo inputs of my cab, it gets bloody damn loud. I agree that single channel (@ 180W) probably won't push the 4x12 cab as hard as a 100W tube amp head. But it will be loud enough for most applications.

• I had the Ambrosi built in my first unpowered profiler (which I sold in favour of a Powerrack).
    It is PLENTY loud with a Palmer 1x12" with a Greenback speaker at 8 Ohms.
    But the company is out of business anyway.
    The best recommendation would be a Camplifier now.
    It is great built quality (by Ritter amps) and they will continue to offer service in the future.

• One question for you, bigb: did you get yours with the volume knob? I guess when there's not volume knob, the thing delivers max power all the time?

Yes, mine has the volume knob!

As @lightbox mentions, it is still loud enough for most applications. Great option all around! I love the fact that it fits in the back of the toaster!

One thing I haven't tried though is with a passive FRFR box... I am thinking good results could be expected also with say a passive CLR or boxes.

• I tried the camplifier last week and i must say it was the best option i tried until now... i compared it to the poweramp in my tube heads and it was great and loud enough for our practising room ... at if a power amp is loud enough for rehearsals it it loud enough for everything!

• I'm considering the camplifier 360. I use 4 4x12 cabinets and was wondering of it would power that without issue. My cabs are Marshall 16ohm so each stack would be an 8ohm load on the amp. I don't play particularly loud but love the fee and fullness that I get out of the 4 cabinets. When the band does fly-ins, our rider provides for 4 cabinets also, so it would be a great set-up for traveling too.
    Do you think it will do?

• I'm considering the camplifier 360. I use 4 4x12 cabinets and was wondering of it would power that without issue. My cabs are Marshall 16ohm so each stack would be an 8ohm load on the amp. I don't play particularly loud but love the fee and fullness that I get out of the 4 cabinets. When the band does fly-ins, our rider provides for 4 cabinets also, so it would be a great set-up for traveling too.
    Do you think it will do?

Wow, 4 4x12 cabs? that must sound huge, man!!

My camplifier 180 arrived yesterday, and I took it to the rhearsal. It was what I expected, perfectly designed to fit as a glove in the kpa, 3 minutes set-up and you're good to go! but I must say it's a lil' less loud than I thought it would be. Anyway it's loud enough for me (we usually play a bit loud in my band) Didn't have a lot of time to check output levels on the kpa, so I should be able to turn monitor out up some extra db's.

Not sure how it would handle two cabs at the same time.