In The Club ( Few Newbie questions)

• I just bought a new Kemper rackmount. I currently just play my 11r through my laptop with some reference monitors. I see the Kemper does not have an audio interface. Can I use my 11r for this to run the kemper for now (I may ell the 11r if I find it redundant).

What is the best and most cost effective way to get the Kemper running through my pc?

Are people getting good results putting OD's and distortions in front of the Kemper? I was pretty happy with my 11r and the effects but just wondering if a true stomp in front brings some amps even more to life.

It is not in my hands yet but very excited! Sorry for asking redundant questions, I have read through the net but figured I would join the forum with a couple questions.

Thanks!

• Welcome. I can't answer the pieces about recording or hooking it up to the computer because I haven't even done that yet myself. I've used mine for live gigs for the past year or so and will never go back to regular amps again.

In terms of the OD pedals, the Kemper works very well with pedals. Hook them up exactly as you normally would (i.e. guitar-->overdrive pedal-->Kemper input). With that said, I've found all of the effects (including the ODs in the Kemper) to be perfectly fine for live use. So I don't even use external pedals anymore. Less clutter and less weight. Once you spend some time experimenting with the settings and placement of the OD pedals that are built into the Kemper, you may find (like I did) that you can sell off your pedals.

• Are people getting good results putting OD's and distortions in front of the Kemper? I was pretty happy with my 11r and the effects but just wondering if a true stomp in front brings some amps even more to life.

Welcome! You can run ODs up front in the traditional manner, but the KPA offers a slightly different way to do it.

As you might know, there are 3 sections to the signal path. Stomp -> Stack -> Effects. Rather than run your guitar into the OD, and then the OD into the KPA, you have the option of placing an FX loop anywhere in the Stomp or Effects signal chain. With a traditional amp you usually wouldn't do this when using an OD in front of the amp, but if you place the virtual FX loop in the Stomp section, it accomplishes the same thing because the guitar signal will hit the Stomp modules before it hits the Stack modules. I prefer to do it this way because it keeps my pedals out of the way, although I have not used the KPA live as of yet.

• Yes, thanks... I suppose I will feel it out once I can play with it more. I have a Keeley modded DS-1 and a envelope filter mainly I still use with the 11r.

Still not sure the best way to hook the Kemper into my pc and play through my monitors. Last I saw was 2016 it did not have an editor or way to plug into a pc. Hoping my 11r can be used until I know if I am selling that rig.

It seems the Scarrlet 6i6 is popular for an interface but I would hate to drop 250 as I just dropped my bank for a bit.

• Still not sure the best way to hook the Kemper into my pc and play through my monitors.

All you need is a DAW and an interface with S/PDIF in/out. Plug into the Kemper, plug the Kemper into the interface via S/PDIF, set the input on a track in your DAW to S/PDIF, arm the track to monitor the audio and start playing.

• If you are keeping the 11r, you can use it as an audio interface, with the Stereo Main Outputs of the KPA connected to the appropriate Line Inputs of the 11r.

Thanks Paults, not sure as of yet if I will keep the 11r, I likely will be selling it. I just want to make sure I will be able to run my current setup with the Kemper when it comes or if I should order a interface, but if the 11r can function for the time being then I am good.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, I am very stoked. A true YOLO moment as I was not expecting this, just came across a nice B-stock deal and sprung on it. By far my biggest guitar related purchase other then my PRS.

• Thanks Paults, not sure as of yet if I will keep the 11r, I likely will be selling it. I just want to make sure I will be able to run my current setup with the Kemper when it comes or if I should order a interface, but if the 11r can function for the time being then I am good.
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, I am very stoked. A true YOLO moment as I was not expecting this, just came across a nice B-stock deal and sprung on it. By far my biggest guitar related purchase other then my PRS.

You won't be disappointed :thumbup: