Very cool synth engine - Access Virus TI Snow from the house of Kemper

• The Virus sounds great through either headphones, or audio outs. The white noise-type scenario only happens when the DAW is introduced. One of the many parameters is set wrong somewhere, and the manuals/tutorials available aren't helpful, as they tend to generalise, and expect a certain pre-knowledge. I'll get there somehow :)

• A-ha! I suspected USB from the start, mate, as I think I revealed.

When listening to your soft synths, the USB audio is going the other way - from the 'puter out to the Virus and then out from there. In this case, the Virus probably (I'm guessing) automatically syncs its clock to the incoming stream.

When going the other way (Virus->'puter), Logic and / or your sound card would have to lock to the Virus clock, just as would be the case if you're using S/PDIF from the Kemper. I'm guessing that this may be taken care of by the USB driver/s, and that the clock source may be selectable from some sort of control panel for said software if there is one.

This is why I asked earlier about the analogue-out performance from the Virus into an analogue input on the sound card and then into Logic. Personally, I go analogue all the time in preference to digital because of these very-same glitches; they're unnecessary work-flow breakers that aren't worth risking for the all-but-imperceptible sound-quality improvements they promise, IMHO.

If you're able to use the analogue outs from the Virus and aren't worried about the tiny (probably -100dB or thereabouts) bit of noise introduced (ridiculous to worry about this IMHO, mate!), then by all means, please try it and let us know how you go.

• I know it's supposed to be simple, but something's awry. I can use the Virus to control the Logic Pro's software synths no problem. But, if I try to play the Virus from within the Daw I get loads of white noise and crap introduced from somewhere, and I can't figure out why. So, if I combine the 2, all I'm able to do is to benefit from the Virus as a control input, and as a sound card for the software instruments.

I run my Virus into Logic using USB Into Logic on a Mac as well. Are you going direct into the USB port on the back, or using a hub?

• Thanks MM

Although, I should point out that you're dealing with the layest of laymen here. An awful lot of what you wrote went whooshing straight over my head. lol. I am, pretty much tied to using usb as opposed to audio outs, as I don't have an interface between virus and mac.

I run my Virus into Logic using USB Into Logic on a Mac as well. Are you going direct into the USB port on the back, or using a hub?

Hi nightlite

I am running straight into the mac, no hubs involved. I have read elsewhere that hubs create problems. The mac is an i5, 2015 model, so shouldn't really struggle. I know that others have no issues on older macs. Pretty sure it's a setting that's wrong somewhere. I tried to follow Access's walkthrough, but I think they were using Logic Pro 7 or something, and differences reared their heads pretty quickly. I'll have another play later :)

• Thanks MM

Although, I should point out that you're dealing with the layest of laymen here. An awful lot of what you wrote went whooshing straight over my head. lol. I am, pretty much tied to using usb as opposed to audio outs, as I don't have an interface between virus and mac.

OK Bilbo, permission to completely ignore everything I said.

How's that, mate? :D

• Permission gratefully taken on board :D I really appreciate your efforts, honestly I do. It's just that the whole midi thing has taken the full attention of both of my brain cells, and I can smell burning coming out of my ears. I must be getting old, as my capacity for understand new concepts seems to be waning by the week. I need to stumble upon a youtube tutorial that leads me gently by the hand :)