cab only profiling

• I made a 'straight wire' (© Nicky) profile first... straight wire® profile...

Glad someone on the inter-webs respects intellectual property, or in this case, just... property. :D

That's awesome, Sam! Thank you for trying it and also in advance for your future cab and the mega JMP efforts, brother.

• Really interesting stuff.

As we all know the cab portion does inherit some of the character of the dialed in tone for example the cab portion in a merged profile will be brighter if the amp was dialed in brighter than an amp dialed in with less treble and presence even though the cab and mic setup will be identical.

I'm thinking could this be done through a second kemper for a super flat power amp if you turned off all stomps stack and effects sections?

• As we all know the cab portion does inherit some of the character of the dialed in tone for example the cab portion in a merged profile will be brighter if the amp was dialed in brighter than an amp dialed in with less treble and presence even though the cab and mic setup will be identical.

Thats not true. That´s what merging is all about...to create a cab portion that has no influence by the amp itself..or any kind of settings. I can create merged cabs of the same micing with various amps and settings and the resulting merged cab will be identical...not brighter or darker. But in my experience you should use a distorted Amp setting to create a merged cab if you want to use it with other amps+settings. This makes the job of the Kemper much easier to create a authentic merged cab. Also it must be the same amp setting for the studio and DI profile and created right after another...creating a DI profile of the same setting a day later can sound different

• Overall its pretty logical to me.....you have a DI profile....you have studioprofile. Merging does calculate the difference between both and the difference will be "only cab + mic + micpreamp"
    Simple...

...there is no need to profile a cab a different way

• well if a speaker manufacturer mesaures their speakers they will not use a gutiar amp, do you know what i mean? they use the most linear and measured poweramps to drive that speaker to get a
    representative curve for the speaker ... and i want this inside the kemper to capture a ultra accurate cab-ir with out the hassle of making a full profile and to load the that cab into the kemper ...

i mean it is possible already if you only profile the cab with a very clean and linear amp and maybe a very good room and a measurement mic ... just like it is done at the university i'm at ...

but at the moment you will and up with a complete profile were you can exchange the amp afterwards and imo it would be cool if there just wouldn't be an amp in that ampless profile ... and if there would be
    a kemper profiling mic that is linear enough from 80Hz to 10kHz (or even from 20 to 20k :D ) so that we can make totally uncolored cabs ...

i mean this is the standart for many companies when making impulse responses so it would be cool if it is possible here too

• Agreed, Mr. B.

In theory nothing would need to change in the Kemper's FW other than its not attributing the resulting Profile to both an Amp and Cab at the same time.

The question 'though is whether or not, as things stand right now, swapping out the amp afterwards would cause any loss of integrity to the Cab "Profile" if a linear amp were used to create the Rig. I'm guessing this has been tested?

• The question 'though is whether or not, as things stand right now, swapping out the amp afterwards would cause any loss of integrity to the Cab "Profile" if a linear amp were used to create the Rig. I'm guessing this has been tested?

Nope i have no chance and time to test this right now, i made a cab with my amp and a very broadband sound and multiple mics and i use that a lot ... but i had no chance touse the reflectionless room at our university ...

one downside is, all measurement mics have a omnidirectional pattern so the room needs to be perfect... our prof uses sometimes only short impulses so that he can analyse the signal before the reflections enter the mic ... but yeah
    the closest thing i found is a earthworks mic with a hyper cardioid pattern so that at least the early reflections are dampened ... but yeah ...

I wonder if all this linearity wouldn't be completely swallowed up by the room response?

hmm well the room is always a problem, it is also a problem with colored tones when using dynamic mics and a normal guitar amp ... so yeah sure it is not the most linear way to do things for the most people but i try to get int oour reflection less room at the uni and some studios with a good room could benefit too...

the next thing would be a measurement mic and something like a reflection filter idk ...

wish me luck with my project then i could add cab profiles with a measurement mic in the refelctionless room :D

• Hey brother, the Slate ML-1 condenser is super-quiet, flat-as-a-tac and it's a cardioid!

If you don't have it already, even at uni, maybe this is a good excuse to get, say, the baseline Slate VMS system, which includes the mic; the little preamp is clean, quiet-and-flat too.

That said, I think you may now be able to buy the mic separately; there's after all a newer one that's available separately (not a "standard" condenser mic, but, I think, an electret-condenser or SM57 lookalike - can't remember - didn't care - think it's called the ML-2). Slate's plan all along was to offer a range of mic styles, so don't let the "newer" thing fool you; as always, the company's merely taking its time rolling things out.

Maybe worth a look. You'd have the ability to Profile cardioid-condenser-style, but without any of the various colourations inherent in typical models. Room reflections be gone!

• i checked it out and got in touch with slate digital and it seems that the slate mics are exactly what i'm looking for ... thanks man :) ... i made some tests with the Rode ntg8 and my digtal mixer and i really liked the results ... with a bit retouching the profile sounded exactly like the cab in the room so not so colored like with a sm57 up close, simply better ...