Fishman Fluence Modern (active) vs Dimarzio Titan (passive) -- using Top Jimi's Van Halen profile

• Dear all,

Just made this quick A/B comparison -- https://youtu.be/AahiSUJVMLU

It may help those interested in the two pickups. And yes the profile doesn't sound anything like Van Halen here -- neither pickups suit that kind of tone.

Feel free to ask me anything about these pickups. I also use the Fishman Fluence Classic set which I prefer to both.

Cheerios ;)

• This sounds super exciting. Totally gonna watch this when I get somewhere with Wi-Fi.
    It seems like a lot of players switched to Fishman Fluence in the last years. Devin Townsend and Tosin Abasi come to mind.
    I got a Titan in my Strat at the Bridge. And it makes even a Strat sound like this modern Metal Sound (Djent if you will). It totally has the snappiness and the thump you need for the modern djenty tone. Mark from Periphery calls it Percussiveness.
    And I am looking for some new PUs for my PRS. I totally have to get the EMGs out of there.

• I'm interested in a set of Classics and a pair of Single Widths for my Musicman Steve Morse. It's my main guitar and love it's versatility and thought the Fluence would be a great addition with the dual voicing style available. How would they (the Classics) compare to say EMG 85's? A little less clinical? Dynamics and tones similar to real PAF's? Any info would be appreciated

• I'm interested in a set of Classics and a pair of Single Widths for my Musicman Steve Morse. It's my main guitar and love it's versatility and thought the Fluence would be a great addition with the dual voicing style available. How would they (the Classics) compare to say EMG 85's? A little less clinical? Dynamics and tones similar to real PAF's? Any info would be appreciated

The classics have much more treble in voice 1 than 85, and less bass -- things are a bit more balanced in voice 2. Quite simply voice 1 (bridge) is a vintagy Les Paul tone when humbuckers had less windings (still has some good output tho). Voice 2 takes you to overwound humbucker land. I'd recommend them if you are after paff-style tones, yes.

The feel is more organic than 85 imho by a respectable margin. I don't think it's a fair claim though that these feel and sound exactly like passives (some say). String separation is better than most passives, there is a feeling of immediacy to playing them -- as if some latency is eliminated -- and sometimes I can hear noises I don't get with my similarly voiced passives (just a bit harder to mute properly and even when you do there may at times be a "pop" when picking or crossing strings -- but that's common with actives).

Dynamics-wise these are the best actives I've tried (apart from single width). My feeling is they don't clean up 100℅ as nicely as my vintage paffs, but I'd have to test with similar levels of gain to find out (could maybe do a test). They are fairly close tho.

I had an emg 85 in my schecter. Now it's all classics :)

• Fisham Fluence Moder are killer pickups from what I've heard. Still rocking EMG 57/66 set thou.

They are great but closer to an emg 81/85 combo than your set. Just more dynamic (than 81/85) and there's two voices.