Game for fun! Which guitar track is the live one?

• I just demo'd a new and superb Reampzone JCM800 kemper profile, and I decided to double track the solo...
    So, can anybody tell which is the live one-take recording? Left or right? :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks @whippinpost91850 !

LOL Yeah, never forget the Monkey's CrapMac™ speaker - always a factor when I listen to the forum.

OK, I'm thinking that maybe it sounded chorussed 'cause the L and R takes were summed to mono by the CrapMac™ speaker.

Thanks for the feedback, man.

Yep, thats why it sounds choruses: the slight differences between live take and the "composition stage" recording makes it sound a bit chorusy.

Actually, one of my project albums I'm making right now is being recorded like this:

two rhythm guitars like normal metal albums, but once solo arrives, both channels play the same solo, without any backing rhythm guitar! I think that is pretty "unique", usually there's a solo in the middle on top of two ryhtm channels. But I like the sound of double tracked solos :)

Sure, it's Manowar inspired, but they usually sometimes just have one guitar track through the entire song, but Joey DeMaios bass is so great sounding they dont even need a guitar track under the solos :D

• I have the Valhalla Room, is the VintageVerb that much different? Don't get me wrong all I need is any slight reason to buy new gear or plugins! :thumbup:

Very different beasts :)

The purpose of vintageverb is to recreate digital outboard reverb gear, while valhallaroom is intended to psychoacoustically create realistic room reverb.

Then there's valhalla plate, which I love for its simplicity :)

• I wonder if using different reverb plugins on the same song would even sound good?

Depends on what you're after. Reverbs are used for many things - simulating a real cohesive all-inclusive room is just one of the uses. Plates are rarely used for that purpose, I think.

Also consider that the signals sent to ONE reverb don't represent what eg. a room mic would pick up even after processed with a reverb (since the original close mic, if that's the micing setup, only captures part of the whole sound - as opposed to a room mic).

So I'd say yes it does sound good - DEPENDING :) the reverbs need to be correctly setup for the sources and the song. Conversely, maybe a reverb that sounds right for 4 tracks may sound like ass for the next four and vice versa. In such a scenario, you'd be better of with two reverbs. Shitty example, but I hope it makes sense :)

Lastly, if you had a room mic in an asymmetrical setup (arrangement of players/sound sources, walls, etc etc), then you'd effectively get "DIFFERENT REVERBS" on those sources anyway. Some would be closer to the mic (less predelay), some would be close to the mic and also close to a wall (less predelay, and higher degree of early reflections), some would be farther away (more predelay, more diffusion etc etc).

All that said, there's a lot to say for keeping it simple. Myself, I tend to stick with one room simulation reverb, and other verbs and delays for other space-related effects and thickening. But then again, I'm no mix engineer or expert - I just like to read and think :)

EDIT: wow, that last sentence came across really arrogant, hahaha! That was NOT the intention :D I meant to say, I'm a reader more than I'm a doer - which is not the best way to learn, but that's how I came assembled from the factory :)

• Lastly, if you had a room mic in an asymmetrical setup (arrangement of players/sound sources, walls, etc etc), then you'd effectively get "DIFFERENT REVERBS" on those sources anyway. Some would be closer to the mic (less predelay), some would be close to the mic and also close to a wall (less predelay, and higher degree of early reflections), some would be farther away (more predelay, more diffusion etc etc).

Monkey's prescription:
    2 or 3 stereo room 'verbs, set for closest, mid-distance and back-of-the-room respectively, using predelay times, ER levels and tail-diffusion characteristics to distinguish them from each other, but retaining the same algorithm for believability (all in the same room).

Send the various instruments to the appropriate 'verb aux / bus.

I'm no mix engineer or expert - I just like to read and think... I'm a reader more than I'm a doer - which is not the best way to learn, but that's how I came assembled from the factory...

Same here. That's why we suck, Michael. :D