High End Audio interface recomendation 4 recording kemper?

• Unless you have decent monitors and plan to mix & release product yourself I personally wouldn't get all concerned over the converter quality on most modern midrange units. Most of them are quite decent now days. However, it's not all about specs on paper. The overall I/O circuitry plays a role beyond just converters. The only way to know is to do some research online and then listen to the top candidates for yourself. And buy from someplace you can return the device if you aren't happy.

What MonkeyMan pointed out about the harsh highs is something that can, to some people, be annoying when using a device with sub-par I/O logic. High gain guitar tracks can result in more of a "scratchy" harmonic content instead of "sweet".

Sonic

• I think people are getting confused by the "high end" part, but forgetting the "zoom" part, which means "low end" to at best "medium end".

So RME, which IS "high end" except for the Babyface is out of the question.

Also, it's hard to answer, not only w/o a price range, but not knowing the computer. But others read this post so I'll put my experience down:

I've had these and these are my impressions for Mac:
    - under $400, stick with scarlett -

Over $400-800

Apogee Duet:
    -for mac
    -has to be disconnected and reconnected often after sleep mode
    -really cheap make. travel can damage unit
    -gain staging is not intuitive
    -mix software, not a fan

Focusrite Clarett:
    -very good AD/DA
    -not a fan of taking this I/O, but thunderbolt
    -good mix software

Audient iD22:
    -amazing AD/DA
    -usb and no problems
    -good mix software

UA Apollo Twin:
    -very good AD/DA
    -kinda expensive for what it is
    -no MIDI wtf?!?
    -comes with DSP for plugins which can respond to incoming variances of impedance and respond simulating famous preamps.

Apogee One:
    -for mac
    -fragile, can pop open upon travel in a bag
    -like Duet, has to be plugged, unplugged sometimes
    -easy peasy for recording, unlike the Duet's mix interface

RME Babyface:
    The old one just sucked. Horrible mix software. Don't know the new one, but I couldn't figure out what people saw in it compared to the others I've had.

This is by no means a complete list.
    But of my experience, this is how I'd rate them by overall impression: Audient, Clarett, Apollo

• If you will ONLY record through s/pdif, you don't need high end anything. You need s/pdif 8)

If you want to use it to record vocals, acoustic guitars etc...the RME UCX is wonderful. The onboard mixer with efx/processing is a godsend for live monitoring. The drivers are rock steady. Class compliance for use with iPad. You can play through it without connecting a computer.

• I just wanted to thank every one for their input and quality suggestions.
    I MAY try my luck at vocals..So will prob go with the RME
    It was a big help to know i can just get a card mean time if needed.
    Thanks a lot guys

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• The problem isn't that other units use the Optical, it's that the Kemper uses the old RCA format.

Huh? It's not like the optical Toslink is the new kid on the digital block. It's always been a consumer audio choice, and you never saw and never will see it in studios. Apart from that ADAT thing ages ago 8)

• Huh? It's not like the optical Toslink is the new kid on the digital block. It's always been a consumer audio choice, and you never saw and never will see it in studios. Apart from that ADAT thing ages ago 8)

No doubt, I’ve a prejudice for Optical.

To put everyone on the same page, SPDIF works the same across RCA or Optical (what I’m calling the toslink connection for a fiber cable)

RCA:

• Requires 2 cables
    • Since it’s copper, can introduce ground loop
    • Ground loops can cause audio to drop out, a hard problem to discover if it happens to you.
    • Copper is a robust connection though for a rough work environment.
    • Can be Digital or Analog depending on the protocol across it.
    • Soldering can come loose or be a poor connection and "break" the cable.

Optical

• Requires 1 cable. This means less studio clutter, and the optical cable is much smaller.
    • Smaller footprint on units allow for more potential I/O footprint on unit backing, cheaper to manufacture than 2 RCA connections.
    • It either works, or don’t work, no audio drop outs.
    • Some feel its more fragile as a “glass” that can break. IDK. Never broke one. Seems as sturdy as RCA.
    • No soldering points to come undone at connections. Less chance to "break" the cable.

I tend to think of Optical as “new” and RCA as “old” because RCA was first and Optical is newer, dedicated digital, leaner and less troublesome.

I personally like units with both options since my studio is always transforming. I also like options that eliminate potential sources of problems I’ll never have to troubleshoot. Hence my prejudice for Optical.

That said, of course I use both.

• What is more important IMO than RCA vs. Optical is to have an interface that has clock auto-sync. Since the KPA SPDIF can only do 44.1K and must be the master, having an interface with auto-sync can be quite helpful.

Some of the RME's have this feature, I cannot speak to other mfr's.

Sonic

• Hi Guys, can any one recommend a high end Audio interface for recording the kemper?
    The more compact the better. Maybe Zoom???

If any one has any ideas i would appreciate it, ill do some recordings for you guys with this

Ash

I use the Zoom U-44 since 3 months.
    I'm absolute satisfied. Small, portable, with batteries and so full function at out doors in commen with my Roland R-05. Adjustable manually! Affordable cause 149€ at that time!
    Sometimes I miss a software for to adjust the sound on the headphone and monitor not at recording.
    But it was one of my best decisions I have to say.

• I have a question. If all you are running through to record guitars/bass with the Kemper is S/PDIF is there any benefit to buying a high end audio interface?

If you are only recording instruments one at a time, you probably don't, but keep in mind that high end doesn't only imply more inputs. They also often have better drivers, converters, etc. That doesn't mean just inputs. Even the sound you hear over your monitors will benefit due to the better DAC. And with heavy projects with A LOT of tracks, you will also see better performance when recording additional parts as you won't have to increase the buffer too much or even at all. It's not as big a deal as more RAM and a better CPU or even an SSD, but in my experience, using a cheap interface will see more dropouts at the same settings than a more expensive one more often than not.

• I’m aware of that. Would there be any benefits to having a high end interface if I’m mostly just using S/PDIF?

Well, if you listen to music over it, you'll be able to tell the difference. Plus higher sample rates if you want them. And assuming you ever want to plug in something else, that'll also be an improvement.

• If you are only recording instruments one at a time, you probably don't, but keep in mind that high end doesn't only imply more inputs. They also often have better drivers, converters, etc. That doesn't mean just inputs. Even the sound you hear over your monitors will benefit due to the better DAC. And with heavy projects with A LOT of tracks, you will also see better performance when recording additional parts as you won't have to increase the buffer too much or even at all. It's not as big a deal as more RAM and a better CPU or even an SSD, but in my experience, using a cheap interface will see more dropouts at the same settings than a more expensive one more often than not.

Sorry I missed this reply the first time round. Cheers for the info.

Well, if you listen to music over it, you'll be able to tell the difference. Plus higher sample rates if you want them. And assuming you ever want to plug in something else, that'll also be an improvement.

@nightlight nailed it!

Not to mention pre-amps :D and what's required for your workflow.

Okay cheers guys. Probably not worth upgrading from my mbox 2 pro then . :)

Edited once, last by MCVA444 ().