Mars=Marshall, Voice=Vox, Fan=Fender, Oranje=Orange etc. PLEASE stop using "cute" manufacturer names - just use the REAL NAMES!!

• That linked document does exactly what most commercial profilers do - the NAME of the MODEL is something like, BUT NOT EQUAL to the gear it models. They then write "based on" [whatever the original was]. So they basically do what the commercial sellers do, ALTHOUGH they also include a picture of the original amp.

So mimicking exactly what Line6 has done (and shown to be legally kosher), you could give the Rig a cutesy name, but in the Amp and Cabinet fields, use the real product name. That's the same as their manuals describing each of their models as "inspired by" <real amp name>. Of course, rather than a cutesy Rig name, a descriptive one is good, too, since the Amp/Cab name is visible on the screen.

And this is only really relevant if you are *selling* your Rigs. Freeware is "fair use" by definition. And don't forget the "all other trademarks are the property of their respective owners" stuff.

By stating the gear used to make a Rig (using the real names) IMHO it would make it nicer and easier to find things. Yeah, I can go edit things, and I do, but that's just busy work. It's freeware, so I can't *really* complain, but it would be that much nicer if there was a tad more consistency in Rig metadata:

• Give the Rig a cool name - "Voxy Lady" or "Brown Sound" or whatever. If you wanna describe the gear, sure, use a cutesy name
    • Fill out the amp and cab fields using the real names - and only put the Manufacturer in the Manufacturer field, the Model in the Model field, and so on. A lot of Rigs have the Mfr + Model in both fields, for some reason. Also, I notice that Rig Manager will concatenate Manufacture and Model into the Name field - but only if the Name field is empty before editing Manufacturer or Name.

By using the real names in the amp and cab section, I think it frees up the Rig Name for something more descriptive. Since you'll then be able to find Rigs based on, say, a Fender Bassman, you don't need to describe it as such in the Rig Name, unless you can't think of anything else to say about it.

OK, so maybe a little anal retentive, but hey, it's the Dutch & German in me that wants to organize things. The Irish in me just wants another pint, so maybe I'll go listen to that side for a while.

• That linked document does exactly what most commercial profilers do - the NAME of the MODEL is something like, BUT NOT EQUAL to the gear it models. They then write "based on" [whatever the original was]. So they basically do what the commercial sellers do, ALTHOUGH they also include a picture of the original amp.

So mimicking exactly what Line6 has done (and shown to be legally kosher), you could give the Rig a cutesy name, but in the Amp and Cabinet fields, use the real product name. That's the same as their manuals describing each of their models as "inspired by" <real amp name>. Of course, rather than a cutesy Rig name, a descriptive one is good, too, since the Amp/Cab name is visible on the screen.

And this is only really relevant if you are *selling* your Rigs. Freeware is "fair use" by definition. And don't forget the "all other trademarks are the property of their respective owners" stuff.

By stating the gear used to make a Rig (using the real names) IMHO it would make it nicer and easier to find things. Yeah, I can go edit things, and I do, but that's just busy work. It's freeware, so I can't *really* complain, but it would be that much nicer if there was a tad more consistency in Rig metadata:

• Give the Rig a cool name - "Voxy Lady" or "Brown Sound" or whatever. If you wanna describe the gear, sure, use a cutesy name
    • Fill out the amp and cab fields using the real names - and only put the Manufacturer in the Manufacturer field, the Model in the Model field, and so on. A lot of Rigs have the Mfr + Model in both fields, for some reason. Also, I notice that Rig Manager will concatenate Manufacture and Model into the Name field - but only if the Name field is empty before editing Manufacturer or Name.

By using the real names in the amp and cab section, I think it frees up the Rig Name for something more descriptive. Since you'll then be able to find Rigs based on, say, a Fender Bassman, you don't need to describe it as such in the Rig Name, unless you can't think of anything else to say about it.

OK, so maybe a little anal retentive, but hey, it's the Dutch & German in me that wants to organize things. The Irish in me just wants another pint, so maybe I'll go listen to that side for a while.

Gack!! I quoted just the first sentence from Michael, but the editor made it look like I quoted the whole thing. (Sorry Michael)

• Dear all,

Well the issue may soon be "moo" (as Joey on Friends would say). I write software for my day job, and my inner nerd could not resist finding out how Rig Manager stores data - and how I could modify it with a simple little program....

This has already been discussed 18 months ago at length in the Manipulation of RigManager Data Programmatically thread.

Unfortunately - as mentioned there - it is not as easy as you think, because all the metadata (like e.g. the amp and cabinet names) is additionally embedded in a binary blob for the rig.

There is also a pending feature request at Programmatic Access to Rig/Performance Data of RigManager for an API access to the rig manager (e.g. from python...).

So please first check the forum before reopening discussions. A simple search for "sqlite" give 20 hits with threads covering several of your suggestions.

Best regards

Dr. TT