Any Stevie Ray Vaughan experts out there?

• I'm looking to replicate as best as possible, Stevie's various sounds on "Couldn't Stand the Weather". Can anyone guide me toward the most appropriate profiles, and whatever effect he uses in the bridges before each chorus (I believe it's his leslie, but I can't seem to get the right sound).

I know he used to use a combination of different amps (Fender Super Reverb, Dumble String Singer and a Marshall Major). But I'm not sure which amps he was using for that particular song. I know he also used a TS9 Tubescreamer, but whenever I add the green scream to any of the sounds I'm using, it sort of muddies it up a bit rather than giving it a nice clear boost. It doesn't really allow the notes to chime through nice and clear. So I'm most likely just doing something wrong.

What do you guys use to try and replicate Stevie's sound?

Any tips would be appreciated!

• If you're using Fender profiles - e.g. stuff from MBritt Vint-Pack, you might have the amp foundation. As you most probably know, SRV was using heavy strings (12-54) and tuned his Git to Eflat. With his kind of heavy striking/attacking the strings, he created the most important part of his sound. He was also often using a Fender Bassman together with other Fender Amps and yes, he used a leslie cabinet most as well.
    If I remember correctly, I've "emulated" the leslie by combining by using Univibe Phaser (in MOD) and some Trem (Stompbox) together. Hope, this will help you a bit.

• The rotary speaker in the Kemper is stellar so I would use that with the mix set around 50%. I would probably start with a blackface type amp and add a screamer in the stomp slot. SRV often used a Fender Vibratone in conjunction with another amp so the 50% mix should emulate that a bit. Start without the screamer for the rhythm parts if it's too dirty. He used big strings so he could dial amps in kinda bright but the big strings kept them from sounding thin. Here's a profile that I did a while back to emulate his sound a bit.

66 Pro Reverb 4 SRV - 2017-03-17 09-51-41.kipr.zip

• The rotary speaker in the Kemper is stellar so I would use that with the mix set around 50%. I would probably start with a blackface type amp and add a screamer in the stomp slot. SRV often used a Fender Vibratone in conjunction with another amp so the 50% mix should emulate that a bit. Start without the screamer for the rhythm parts if it's too dirty. He used big strings so he could dial amps in kinda bright but the big strings kept them from sounding thin. Here's a profile that I did a while back to emulate his sound a bit.

66 Pro Reverb 4 SRV - 2017-03-17 09-51-41.kipr.zip

Awesome. Thank you very much Michael. I basically use nothing but your profiles, so I'm sure this will be a great starting point for me.

By the way, I'm planning on checking out Lonestar when you guys play in Portland, Maine in May. Have you ever been to Portland before?

• We've been there once or twice. Email me at my website email (mike at mbrittprofiles.com) to let me know when it gets closer and I'll see if I have any time free around soundcheck.

Awesome. Would love to chat with you a bit before the show if that works out. Thanks again!

• well we equipt TRV (SRV offcical touring tribute) - with a setlist of exclusive rigs for this purpose, - Mostly fender brownface and blackface delux's with a few editions.

With SRV you need the tightness of the bass strings but looseness of the others, its hard to get via a normal rig (He used varible string gauges same as Hendrix used too), so a lot of post is needed, - but you can start with putting your strat on the neck, raising the "Clarity" and "Definition" until you get a equal balance of his !Quack! sound.., then adjust from that point..

Good luck though!

• Hi OhG! If you can still be interested, I recently replicated the sound (rhythm guitar) of "Couldn't stand the weather" using a free profile by Michael Britt (MB - 65 Champion 5 3) + Rotary. Try it !

• well we equipt TRV (SRV offcical touring tribute) - with a setlist of exclusive rigs for this purpose, - Mostly fender brownface and blackface delux's with a few editions.

With SRV you need the tightness of the bass strings but looseness of the others, its hard to get via a normal rig (He used varible string gauges same as Hendrix used too), so a lot of post is needed, - but you can start with putting your strat on the neck, raising the "Clarity" and "Definition" until you get a equal balance of his !Quack! sound.., then adjust from that point..

Good luck though!

Allright but what guitar and pick up do you suggest for it? Coz getting rigs is only a part of the game

Good luck though!

Also just curious are we gonna see all rigs seller pop in our conversation to make promo on their stuff when we discuss here as users?

• I want to clarify that I re-opened this old thread because I found this rig very compatible with that sound. I'm not an X or Y promoter (on my YouTube channel I use mainly my personal hybrid profiles.) I just only wanted to share my experience and not to advertise someone

• Also just curious are we gonna see all rigs seller pop in our conversation to make promo on their stuff when we discuss here as users?

Wow you're touchy, fragile one. If they have knowledge to give , there's no problem there imo. Mbritt even gave a profile

you don't have to buy their profiles but if they have some tips , info or whatever, there's no problem with them participating in the forum

• Hi OhG! If you can still be interested, I recently replicated the sound (rhythm guitar) of "Couldn't stand the weather" using a free profile by Michael Britt (MB - 65 Champion 5 3) + Rotary. Try it !

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Good luck though!

Thanks Andy, that’s realy helpful input!

• My question (just a question) was: are we gonna see all rigs seller pop in our conversation to make promo on their stuff when we discuss here as users?

It includes ''respected rig SELLERS''