Need help with MIDI and the Kemper (changing performances)

• Full disclaimer, I know NOTHING about MIDI. The only time I’ve ever used it is when I had to program my Mini Amp Gizmo to control the changes on my G-System. And that didn’t require any MIDI knowledge.

What I’m wondering is, is there a way to have the Kemper automatically change performances (and also switch to a specific slot in that performance) whenever I select/touch a song in my set list app? I’m currently using an app on my iPad called “Set List Maker” and it states that it is MIDI compatible. So what I’d like to be able to do is, whenever I tap a specific song in our set list in Set List Maker, have it automatically switch to whatever Performance and Slot on the Kemper that I need for that song. I’d also be willing to switch to another set list app if that makes all of this possible.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or am I better off just scrolling through all my performances by foot? I know that I could set up the performances in order of our set list each night, but that wouldn’t work for me for two reasons. First, because it’d just take way too long to do on the Kemper (and I’m not going to haul around a laptop and deal with Rig Manager’s glitches before every gig). Secondly, there are many times throughout the night that I use the same performance and slots for multiple songs. So I don’t want to duplicate the same performance over and over again. That seems
    redundant.

So if there was a way that I could assign on the iPad in Set List Maker, whenever I play “x” song, I touch that song in the list of Set List Maker and it automatically loads slot #3 of performance #2, and then any time I play “y” song, I touch that song in Set List Maker and it loads the correct patch for that.

This would also give me the ability to switch performances/slots via foot if I wanted as well. Having this kind of a setup would be a HUGE help for me. So if anyone out there knows if there is a way to do this (even if it means getting a different iPad app that can hold set lists) I’d be very thankful!

• Each slot in each performance can be selected by sending a certain combination of bank select and midi program change commands.
    When no Remote is connected the info which bank select and program change is needed for the currently selected slot is visible in the lower left corner of the Profiler display. All you need to do is to send those commands from your external MIDI device to call up a specific slot in a performance.

• OhG, You can do what you want with SetList Maker on your iPad. I do this wirelessly with a Quicco Mi-1 ( available cheap on Amazon)

You can just tap on a specific song in a show and it will switch to the profile or performance of your choice

• Thanks guys. I'll check this out. But I guess what I'm looking for is, how do I connect the iPad to my Kemper in order to send the MIDI commands. Like I said, I know nothing about MIDI. Is it easy to figure out how to program it to change to a certain performance and slot?

The wireless option could work. But I'd rather not have to buy additional gear (outside of cords). Plus, what happens if there is no wifi to connect to?

• Have a look at the end of the thread mentioned above. You'll find screenshots how to configure SLM to change to a specific performance slot.

That is helpful! Thank you. So I need to buy a camera connection kit, and then something to convert a USB signal to MIDI. Correct?

The only thing that I still don't understand is how to tell Set List Maker what performance and slot to switch to. How do I do that? I did read the reference manual, and I looked at your examples, but I don't understand what numbers are linked to each performance and slot. For example, if I wanted Performance #1 and slot #3, how do I find the midi command for that? Or performance #2 and slot #4?

• OhG, You can do what you want with SetList Maker on your iPad. I do this wirelessly with a Quicco Mi-1 ( available cheap on Amazon)

You can just tap on a specific song in a show and it will switch to the profile or performance of your choice

I like the wireless idea a lot! But what do you do when you play at gigs in clubs with no wifi signal?

• The Quicco M-1 sends and receives the MIDI signal via bluetooth . I'm an "Old Guy" and I found it a pretty simple setup...... Do you have anything else hooked up to your Kemper via MIDI?

You just have to go into settings in SetList Maker and do a pairing/connect after your KPA has loaded. and set up the MIDI programs in Setlist Maker .

If you decide to go the wireless route I'll gladly send screenshots . Paul

• The Quicco M-1 sends and receives the MIDI signal via bluetooth . I'm an "Old Guy" and I found it a pretty simple setup...... Do you have anything else hooked up to your Kemper via MIDI?

You just have to go into settings in SetList Maker and do a pairing/connect after your KPA has loaded. and set up the MIDI programs in Setlist Maker .

If you decide to go the wireless route I'll gladly send screenshots . Paul

The only thing I'd be using MIDI for would be the Set List Maker app. Bluetooth makes sense. So no wireless signal is actually needed. Awesome. I'd definitely like to test that option out. The fewer cords, the better. Yes, if you could share a couple screenshots, that would be very helpful. Thank you Paul!

• happy TO OBLIGE .I'll get them on Saturday.. Have a gig tomorrow

Here's the info from Amazon

• The only thing that I still don't understand is how to tell Set List Maker what performance and slot to switch to. How do I do that? I did read the reference manual, and I looked at your examples, but I don't understand what numbers are linked to each performance and slot. For example, if I wanted Performance #1 and slot #3, how do I find the midi command for that? Or performance #2 and slot #4?

did you not read my reply? The info which bank select and program number is associated with each slot in each performance is shown in the left lower corner of the display.

• did you not read my reply? The info which bank select and program number is associated with each slot in each performance is shown in the left lower corner of the display.

I did. But for some reason it didn't make sense at the time (wasn't in front of my Kemper). I see what you mean now though. Thank you! Sounds like this should be pretty easy to set up.

• Is it possible to Change the Songs in the Setlist Maker by the the Up and down footswitch in the Kemper Remote? So the Songs can be chose by touching the song on the Tablet or by the footswitch on the Remote?

• Is it possible to Change the Songs in the Setlist Maker by the the Up and down footswitch in the Kemper Remote? So the Songs can be chose by touching the song on the Tablet or by the footswitch on the Remote?

• I'll have to check. I know you can do it from the pad , but have never tried from the pedal.. I use a AirTurn on my board to change songs in SetList Maker. and then have it change Kemper and GR55 via bluetooth