Higher resolution IRs

• When I captured some IR's (from acoustic guitar body's) I found that some part of the IR was stored into the cabinet block and another into the Amp block - both together sounded fine.

It is different: When you do a clean profile - as you did - the amp is still in the signal flow, coloring the signal. But both together fit, as you stated.

Christoph Kemper

• Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?
    The real comparison of IR sizes can only be done by listening to two IR's that are supposed to create the same frequency responce, but have different sizes.

Experience anyone?

I wouldn't expect it to sound any different unless there are significant spikes in the original between the frequencies sampled at the lower resolution. It's like saying that an EQ with more points will sound better/tighter in the bass, or that using less points on an EQ results in lower quality. Most people manage with between 3 and 5 points in their EQing most of the time and leave the rest up to the q interpolation.

Unless that is the IR convolution algorithm involves reconstruction of the original sound using the inverse Fourier transform, in which case I could see how compiling using a less fine grading of sine waves could result in a poorer quality rendition, but that's not the case is it Cristoph? Anyhow, I thought the Kemper doesn't use IR's but instead uses cab modeling which is "profiled" to set it's parameters like the rest of the amp, or am I wrong?

Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?
    The real comparison of IR sizes can only be done by listening to two IR's that are supposed to create the same frequency responce, but have different sizes.

Experience anyone?

With the old AxeFx we could switch between 512 and 1024 tabs - with the AxeFx II between 1024 and 2048.

512/1024 makes a difference - 1024/2048 not so much.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?

Experience anyone?

As Armin said, in the AxeFX Ultra you could switch between a 512 point and 1024 point version of a user IR in the cab block. To me there was a feel difference in the way that the IR handled the very high and low-end of the tone. The higher point IRs seemed to feel tighter in the low-end and had an extended top-end.

I have also tested by running my AxeFX without a cab sim into a DAW running IRs from Redwirez at full length vs a lower resolution version of the same IR. When you switch from one to the other there is a noticeable difference between the two. The higher resolution version sounded like it had more space around it, it's hard to describe but noticeable when comparing side-by-side.

I am not an expert in the field of IRs, not even a novice, but the higher resolution IRs felt/sounded better to me.

Thanks

Spencer

Experience anyone?

Yes, everybody who owns an Axe-Fx Standard or Ultra can experience the difference by switching between mono high resolution (1024) and stereo low resolution (512).

Then, as i stated, you can make this little experience (high resolution ie 1024 appears with firmware 6.0) :

"And 1024 is the right count.
    If you go back to the firmware 5.26 with your standard or Ultra, you will be able to hear the first part and the second part of a 1024 tap IR, because it is cut in 2 users IRs. The last 512 part has an influence but it is small.
    After that you will have the room reverb.

Cliff stated that the 2048 IRs were added in order to use 2x1024 IRs in the same cab block (stereo) which make sense.
    So i would say, 1024 taps with 48khz is the right count."

Hope it helps.

Experience anyone?

Yes. As other people here, I own an AxeFX Ultra. It's biggest flaw has always been the IR size/cab block. I've been working with IR's since 2002 (mostly rooms back then), and every time I A/B the "high resolution" 1024 point IR (23ms) in the AxeFX with my original (ten times larger) it's so inferior. It's mostly nuances of course but still, getting the nuances right is the last piece of the puzzle, right?

How's that for a first post? :)

Old, fat, proud and pretty damn good at capturing impulses and mixing albums.

• Yes. As other people here, I own an AxeFX Ultra. It's biggest flaw has always been the IR size/cab block. I've been working with IR's since 2002 (mostly rooms back then), and every time I A/B the "high resolution" 1024 point IR (23ms) in the AxeFX with my original (ten times larger) it's so inferior. It's mostly nuances of course but still, getting the nuances right is the last piece of the puzzle, right?

♪ when i grow up there will ♪ .. welcome aboard :)

• Yes. As other people here, I own an AxeFX Ultra. It's biggest flaw has always been the IR size/cab block. I've been working with IR's since 2002 (mostly rooms back then), and every time I A/B the "high resolution" 1024 point IR (23ms) in the AxeFX with my original (ten times larger) it's so inferior. It's mostly nuances of course but still, getting the nuances right is the last piece of the puzzle, right?

Great to see you over here Jocke!

• Hi.
    Any samples between your 10xIRs and the Axe 1024?

Sorry, but I don't understand that question.

Old, fat, proud and pretty damn good at capturing impulses and mixing albums.