Guitar cab or FRFR - and why?

• Thanks Ipran.that cab looks really nice! how does it sound? is it completely FRFR? does it play well also at bedroom level? is it also loud? thanks

Yes it is FRFR speaker with cabinet form, it doing great job At bedroom level , it has 300watt limit so it is pretty loud

• Do someone have experiences with the laney X frfr? I found a good deal and am quite tempted since it is really very light....
    Does it sound well with the kemper? Is it loud to keep up with drummer?
    Amlethic question...dxr10 or laney?

Yeah - I have two IRT-X Laney units that I run in a Wet-Dry-Wet config. Very small, very light, very powerful, very loud. I spent about $700 for two of them. I had considered the AccuGrooves, the Friedman, Mission, Atomic and several keyboard amps but they were all much more expensive or weighed too much and I couldn't justify either. I picked the Laney's partly because of the price, but mostly because of how well designed they appear to be. I can use them as extension cabinets to my Marshall or Mesa amps. I can use them one at a time to give me a stereo image from the Marshall or Mesa. Or, I can go full Wet-Dry-Wet and still have the flexibility to send L & R images to a FOH or monitor mix. And, they're active speakers, delivering about 200w Class D each. And they don't weigh very much. I'm putting them on On-Stage Compact Speaker Stands to reduce floor clutter, but also make it easier to make adjustments or cable changes.

• At the end I purchased the second hand dxr10 I wrote about some days ago.
    However it is quite a strange dimension to listen the guitar through it....I was used to real cabs and therefore the impact is substantially different. I think I have to work on it a bit to set up the rigs portfolio I have....

• It sounds a little fake and plastic....difficult to explain in words....but it is because I am not used to it..

There are some different notions here. Some say you have to get used to the mic'ed guitar sound, some say PA speakers themselves don't feel or react like an amp. I opted for the Mission Gemini due to the coaxial design which reacts and sounds very much like a cab while being FRFR. The separation of the whoofer and tweeter in PA speakers not designed for guitar, not to mention the EQ curve plays a part. Some guys love it, some guys hate it. Never tried the DXR10 myself to judge, but I'm happy with my decision.

• There are some different notions here. Some say you have to get used to the mic'ed guitar sound, some say PA speakers themselves don't feel or react like an amp. I opted for the Mission Gemini due to the coaxial design which reacts and sounds very much like a cab while being FRFR. The separation of the whoofer and tweeter in PA speakers not designed for guitar, not to mention the EQ curve plays a part. Some guys love it, some guys hate it. Never tried the DXR10 myself to judge, but I'm happy with my decision.

Yes, same here. I am sensitive to the "hi-fi" sound of having a separately mounted (off-axis) tweeter in a typical 2-way FRFR monitor. It is the localization of the tweeter, narrow dispersion, and the fact that sound is not originating from a point-source (like a traditional guitar cab), that I think is my issue. Again, I may just be overly sensitive to it.

That issue was completely solved with my coaxial-based XiTone FRFR passive monitor.

With that said, there are a lot of happy Yamaha DXR10 owners, here on this forum as well as on The Gear Page.

Cheers,
    John

• That is probably the reason of why I felt strange. However today I spent some hours playing through the kemper and the dxr10 and little by little I am getting used to it. At the end I am starting to like it....kemper is great

• and the Q12 anybody?

I just sold my 2 DXR10's. I thought they sounded pretty good - certainly good bang for buck - however even at volume I never found they resonded that well to dynamics, very hard to get controlled feedback.

So I am waiting on a delivery of 2 x Q12p so will report back once I get my hands on them.

In the meantime I'm back to my trusty THD 2 x 12....which is not FRFR but IS awesome!

• For monitoring , if not using in-ears I use 2 EV SX200's ( or 300's as I have a pair of both ). I like that they don't colour the sound as much as a guitar cab.

I tried my Mesa 2x12 , Cornford 2x12 , Hiwatt 2x12, stage monitors etc... but the EV's ( 12 inch plus horn ) give me a similar version to whats going to FOH si I would definitely say FRFR over Guitar Cab

• Both. Tune the profiles for FOH and adjust the monitor out eq for a 412. Then wherever you go you can run direct and/or rent a cab to push air. Modern gadgetry is cool.

• I thought the original poster. Did I do it wrong? Sorry man. I'm not very forum savvy.

Lol, no worries, @dfdfan. And you didn't do it "wrong". It is just that we are 5 pages into a thread that has had a bunch of different angles discussed, so I wasn't certain if you were replying, in general, to the main topic (original post) or to a specific reply within this growing discussion.

It's all good. :):thumbup:

Cheers,
    John

• I found this with the Yamaha. The Matrix FR12p is completely different. Much better.

I use two FR12 run in stereo (or sometimes just one, I'm old, just depends on how much energy I have on rehearsal day), I used to use two DXR10's but much prefer the Matrix. There is a part of me that wants to order an Eminence Beta 12LTA speaker and throw it into one of my cabs just to check it out, it's inexpensive enough.

Why, because I'm a wannabe guitarist that's just never satisfied : - /